“Excellent base for exploring London”

Astor Victoria Hostel
Ranked #47 of 846 Speciality Lodging in London
Munich, Germany
“Excellent base for exploring London”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Beyond a doubt, the best thing about this hostel is the location. It is around the corner from Pimlico tube stop (Victoria line) and less than 10 minutes walk from Victoria station. Westminster (parliament buildings, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey) are about 20 mins. walk to to the south and Buckingham Palace about the same distance in the other direction. Really handy for getting around the city and cuts down on transport costs, as most of the tourist attractions are in Zone 1 of the Underground.
My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights. Although we had booked a 4-bed ensuite female dorm, the dorm was not ensuite (there was a sink in the room) and mixed. Since we weren't really bothered by this, we didn't mention it -- but the staff should have said something when we checked in. The room itself was tiny but the beds (bunks) were comfortable enough and the room was clean. It did get very warm and I can imagine this would be a problem in the summer. We were there in autumn and slept with the window open to let some air in, which was fine. Curtains would be a nice touch! As it's an older building, there is no lift and we were on the top floor (4th) but this was not really a problem as we were only there to sleep anyway.
Breakfast in the morning was basic but plentiful. We went down at around 09:30 each morning and there was always plenty of cereal, bread, jam, etc. available, as well as dishes and cutlery.
The staff were friendly and fairly efficient, no complaints in that department. There seemed to always be someone around if you needed to ask something.
The bathrooms were a bit grubby, but not terrible. The showers on our floor (2) had plenty of hot water and hooks to hang up clothes, etc.
They were in the middle of painting/renovating the hostel while we were there (first week of November 2011), so I imagine that will brighten the place up a bit when they finish. As I said before, it's an old building so it does look a bit shabby -- but that's to be expected and sort of adds to the charm of it!

Room Tip: The smaller rooms seem to be on the top floor so if you don't fancy the 4 flights of stairs, go...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I stayed at Astor Victoria Hostel for 5 nights and was happy with the hostel. The beds are comfortable, showers are great (hot water, clean and work well) and the staff friendly and happy to help you out. The hostel is also cleaned daily (bathrooms twice daily), your bed is made when you arrive and you get a top sheet which seems to be a luxury in the UK!! There are two kitchens, enough bathrooms and 24 hour reception. If you like to party people are always organising pub crawls but if you don't like to party there is a common room and reception room you can hang out in. There is WIFI access and computers but you have to pay and WIFI only works downstairs. There are also a lot of stairs to carry your luggage up but that is pretty common in the UK. I was happy with everything here and would definately stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Enschede, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Staff is very helpful and location is good. they provide clean bedsheets and free breakfast (very simple but not bad, only problem is that you really have to hunt for a cup and spoons as there are not enough for all people staying there) but it really needs a renovation i would say. i stayed at the top floor (which you can use only through extremely narrow stairs, what can be quite a job with big luggage) where the room was like a sauna. the second night we left the door open in order to get some fresh air. the carpet at the stairs was loose at some point what made it quite dangerous sometimes.
The idea of lockers under the bed is nice, but there are no locks provided. the ensuite is not really worth it, i booked it because i'd like a toilet in the room but we had only a shower. this shower was very little and noisy and was only a little cabin. not very usefull in the end. the (shared) showers have almost no water pressure and look very old.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the lower floors (basement is next to the kitchen so might be noisy though)
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 9 August 2011

The only good thing is the location. I have a little problem in my leg and I told them in advance, the answer was putting me in the 4th floor, so I just went up to sleep. The breakfast is from 8-10 (if you arrive at 9, you don´t have a free mug or spoon for you and sometimes even no jam; and at 10 you must leave ur room to be cleaned up so you have to leave. In my case I didn´t have any good time inside. Everything was scruffy and very dirty. Male staff were always chatting Spanish girls up. Girls staff were always doing other things instead helping people. I strongly don´t recommend this place to anybody.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank pikinina
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

It's my own fault for choosing this hostel for a third time, but with London prices being what they are, you pay for what you get however on my next visit to London, I will definitely not be staying here.

The staff were terrible, in cliques with certain guests, and totally uninterested in serving guests (I understand it's a hostel, mostly run by student travellers, but that still doesn't excuse poor service). I came down to reception at one point to ask for a Wifi card and waited for at least 4 mins while the girl on the desk chatted away on a personal phone call. She could see my frustration so FINALLY asked what I wanted so I said I could come back if she was busy talking to a "friend" (just to see what reaction I'd get). She said "yes, please come back later, I'm talking to a friend".

If you do choose to stay here, please request a room on the ground floor, if possible. I stayed on the fourth floor, which is in fact 8 floors up. Not fun.

Showers were dirty, the kitchen disgusting and we had to eat in what could only be described as army barracks. The whole place is a rabbit warren. Door slam, the common room ridiculously tiny considering there are over 40 rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo