“a hidden paradise”

Ranked #278 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Courmayeur, Italy
“a hidden paradise”
Reviewed 14 October 2011

taking a walk I found this charming little hotel and was love at first sight...fantastic location, good food,room perfectly cleaned , nice and warm people at the reception, at home away from home!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
on the road
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I begin this review with the above title because there have been many glowing reviews posted previously. Perhaps I missed something. Let me tell my experience. I made my reservation for a Deluxe room in May and paid for the room in advance. The Levin required full payment at the time of the reservation (we did not stay there until September), and the booking was not refundable, nor were the dates changeable. As we agreed to all the above conditions, and based upon what others said, we expected to be very satisfied with our lodgings.

We arrived about 11:00 - check-in was not until either 1:00 or 2:00. We were fairly flexible on this issue, as we wanted a clean room and the chance to walk and get some fresh air. We arrived back at the hotel around 6:00 p.m. and were shown a room on the first floor (of guest rooms) located facing Basil Street. I immediately told the Desk Clerk we wanted a quiet room - there was renovation construction noise from across the street. She assured me the room was quiet and the noise would stop soon. However, the work starts fairly early in the morning and continues through the day. There was never any offer to move us to better quarters. Two days later, we received a memo from "The Levin Team" stating there would be a private party at the Le Metro restaurant (exactly below our room at street level) that evening. What ultimately resulted was a group of loud drunks smoking and drinking outside our window late into the evening. I can't help but wonder why our money was used for 3 1/2 months prior to our arrival, why when we booked a "better" class of room, this was the only option for us at The Levin? The hotel is fairly storied, perhaps 8 or 9 floors, including a beautiful penthouse for the owners, far above the street noise paying guests are forced to contend with.

There were 2 of us staying for 5 nights. Ammenities were not replenished. We had to request additional shampoo, and never received the requested cotton buds.

The included breakfast is exactly the same everyday. If you enjoy granola, you will be delighted.

Housecleaning was sufficient, it would be dishonest to say it was anything more or less than that. The combination heat/a.c. was impossible to adjust - the room was either hot or cold. Street noise prevented opening windows.

For the London visitor interested only in going to Harrod's, location is ideal. It is a walk to any other touristic sight. The neighborhood is upscale, it seems full of monthly rental apartments for tourists.

Upon check-out, we were told we had not paid VAT and a 5% daily "Service Charge". This was a little annoying, because the purpose of paying up front so many months in advance was to contain additional expenses while traveling. I also expressed my unhappiness that we weren't told at check-in about the 5% service charge, particularly in light of receiving so little service. The Desk Clerk did remove this charge, which seems like a ruse for padding the overall bill.

Many travelers immediately post a "terrible" rating when they are unhappy about their experience at a particular hotel. This seems unfair to readers and to the businesses reviewed. While we were unhappy with our stay at The Levin, we rate this hotel "average", and let the Reader decide what kind of experience we had.

Room Tip: Don't know exactly how one can choose a "good room" at The Levin. We thought pre-payi...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
20 Thank mikeysdada
Harald D, Manager at The Levin, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing your views and I`m genuinely surprised by your comments.
As a small hotel we pride ourselves on the delivery of personal service and eye to detail and this is across all departments –housekeeping front office and restaurant.
For those booking the internet rate we do specify in the confirmation the Vat will be charged at the time of check out. I can only apologise if this was not clear to you and I will look in how we confer this.
You highlighted the noise from visitors attending a private function in Le Metro and this certainly should have been regulated to ensure no hotel guest were affected. I am looking into the arrangements made on that night though parties of this type are exceptionally rare.
We do currently have some local building activity along the road however they work to strict hours between 8 – 5 pm Mon to Fri. The structure is almost complete. As you know this is a quiet neighbourhood and I’m sorry you were disturbed.
Our Continental Breakfast Buffett has a large selection of fresh seasonal fruits, Cereals (six different types all organic), fresh pastries (homemade), yogurt/berries/toast/juices/ homemade jam and plenty more and it is very popular with our guest and also the general public.

We do appreciate your comments and your fairness in letting the Reader decide.
Kind Regards,
Harald Duttine
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I had stayed at the Capital next door in the past but this trip it was full. A friend suggested the Levin. I am forever in his debt. I will return to the Levin when next in London. Impecable service, beautifully furnished with great linens and next door to Harrods! What more could you ask for? And on top of this, they picked me up and delivered me back to Heathrow.
Donald Smith

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2011

When I travel I judge a Hotel for a Number of reasons as to why I should stay there.
I read the reviews of this Hotel and thought it too good to be true.
It lived up to every review as Perfect, Quiet, Friendly Helpful Staff, Central Location.
Next to Harrod's and the Piccadily Line, direct to Theatre area.
The Levin is a small boutique Hotel, the room was spacious, Bed Perfect, Bathroom a good size for English Hotels. I loved it. (I booked a room on the rear of the Hotel )
there is no view as such you look into other buildings (offices) and it is quiet, the street noise from the front was quiet so both sides would have been great.
It is a little expensive, but for a restful holiday and sleep it is worth it.
Great Staff once again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank PMJ58
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2011

It's always worth paying a little more for personalised service, outgoing staff, and top quality accommodation. All of the above is to be found at The Levin.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
TheLevinHotel, Manager at The Levin, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.
I am very pleased that you had a nice stay with us.
As a family run business there is nothing that we love more than to look after our guests.
Please let me know of your future visits to London and I am more than happy to help you with the reservation.

Have a lovely Day