“Meat and cocktail-lover's kingdom” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hawksmoor Seven Dials

Hawksmoor Seven Dials
Ranked #117 of 22,217 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$50 - US$75
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: An exquisite British steakhouse and a sensational cocktail bar, Hawksmoor Seven Dials is found in the old Watney-Combe brewery. The fine steaks are sourced from the award-winning Ginger Pig and are cooked on an authentic charcoal grill. With a reputation for the best steaks in London, Hawksmoor serves up critically acclaimed British cuisine alongside exquisite wines. Covent Garden Tube Station is just a 3-minute walk away.
London, United Kingdom
“Meat and cocktail-lover's kingdom”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We've been several times and keep heading back for more. Especially the sides of bone-marrow which are the perfect addition to their juicy steaks.

Also worth a go is the pre-theatre menu which is excellent value for money. Just make sure you book in plenty of time as they were turning customers away last time we were there.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Romford, United Kingdom
“Deliciousness Personified!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My partner and I went to the Hawksmoor Seven Dials on a Saturday night in February, we booked in advance and glad we did because although sitting down at 19:00 the place was packed! The place itself is very nice, set downstairs in an old brewery site. It was quite noisy due to the arches in the ceiling but we had a table over to the side tucked away so wasnt too bad.

We had read other reviews about the Hawksmoor and were told that the portions are pretty large so we decided to skip the starters, tho we were given complimenatry bread to share and had pre-meal cocktails.

I had the D-Rump steak aged 55 days, medium rare with beef dripping chips and side salad. My partner had the lobster, triple cooked chips and salad. The portions were pretty large and by the time we had finished we were glad we didnt get starters! My steak although being cooked medium rare i was told it would take about 15-20 mins to cook, which i was fine about and glad i was informed when ordering my meal. My steak was deliciously tender, it melted in my mouth, and when i cut into it no blood was left pouring out onto the plate. My partner loved the lobster as well, and we will definately be going back and sampling more of the menu.

Overall with the main meal and drinks (cocktails, beers, wine and water), the total price came to around £70 which i was happy to pay. The service was very good, the waiter knew his steaks, and which wine should accompany what food you had, he was attentive but not overly so.

What surprised me on the following Monday was an email from Huw Gott, one of the owners and founders of the Hawksmoor asking if everything had been ok with the meal and service and if i had any suggestions or recommendations. I think this showed a nice human touch and that Huw is in touch with his diners and they're opinions.

I cant recommend Hawksmoor enough, if youve eaten at other steak specialty restaurants then you have to try the Hawksmoor!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank olliewoods
London, United Kingdom
“Average burgers and steer clear of the bar!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Having been to Covent garden Hawksmoor branch several times for a 'Steakfest' (loved it everytime) a group of us decided to throw caution to the wind and have the burgers as a friend of ours had gushingly recommend them.Well let's just say we won't be listening to him for a while.

We all ordered the the Hawksmoor burgers with Ogleshield cheese and when they arrived three out of the five were warm.Our waitress offered to have them taken them back but we had waited 25 minutes for them and couldn't be bothered to wait any longer. The burgers were OK and even though mine was warm it tasted OK but at £15 a pop a warm OK-ish burger just isn't good enough.Thankfully the triple cooked chips were perfect and the cornflake milkshakes were also great so that helped ease the disappointment a notch.

I really,really,really wanted to like the burgers as I really,really,really love Hawksmoor but unfortunately I was really,really,REALLY disappointed and if your'e going to spend £150 on five burgers,five portions of chips, a bottle of wine and 2 milkshakes then it had better be bloody good.It wasn't. My advice would be to stick with the steaks at Hawksmoor and if you really want a burger then head to meat liquor where the burgers are supremely better but at half the price.

Unfortunately I can't finish this review without mentioning the INCREDIBLY RUDE trustafarian barman and to give any readers some advice on the protocol when ordering a drink at the bar.

The protocol is that you sit down in the bar area and then a waiter approaches you,takes your order,tells the barman your order,he takes the lid off your bottle of beer,gives it to the waiter who will in turn, hand you the beer. If however you make the foolish mistake of attempting to speak to the the barman directly as I did (there were were no waiters in the bar area when I walked into Hawksmoor) he will loudly bark at you telling you to "sit down at the table and someone will take your order" repeatedly and in an amazingly condescending manner until you go away.

The policy of not ordering drinks at the bar is fair enough and logical (if there is a waiter there to take your order before you walk up to the bar) but to talk to a customer as though they were an child that had just run out into the road without looking is just plain rude.

My Nana always told me manners cost nothing but I have to say Nana, you're wrong this time because that barman's manners cost him and his fellow staff members the service charge.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank benlondon35
Donaghadee
“Great if you enjoy quality Steak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We took our 19 year old son there for his birthday last week. We had a superb meal in a vibrant, friendly setting. The staff throughout we're attentive and totally on the ball with their respective roles. The chateaubriand was melt in your mouth! Delicious.......

Visited March 2012
United Kingdom
“HAWKSMOOR SEVEN DAILS.......not 7*!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Visited yesterday night (05March2012) with my girlfriend after searching through lots and lots of reviews about steakhouses in London.
STARTER: Bone Marrow & Red Onion Starter....THIS IS BIG ENOUGH FOR TWO....which comes as 2 big pieces of bone cut in half (so you can get in to the bone marrow) and covered in onions and 2 slices of crusty bread.
RESULT: The red onions were too plentiful and thus overpowered the bone marrow...I mean serioulsy overpowered the bone marrow, if the onions had been reduced in quantity by 75% the balance may have been ok but this was a terrible starter!

MAIN MEAL:Porterhouse Steak (basically a T-Bone Steak) cooked as recommended - medium/rare with triple cooked chips and a English Lettuce & Herb side. This was cooked perfect. You get one side of the bone as a sirloin and the other side a fillet - best of both meat cuts. It was presented with the meat cut up off the bone with the bone placed on top of the meat for display purposes, chips were nothing special but the salad was nice
RESULT: Perfect steak and a good overall main.

DESSERT: Sticky Toffee Pudding (we declined the dessert but our server (more about him later) gave it to us for free!!!
RESULT: To die for!

1 Porterhouse Steak (800grams) £60
1 Triple cooked chips £4.00
1 English Lettuce & Herbs £4.00
1 Espresso £3.00
TOTAL £109.50 (PLUS service charge of £13.69 AUTOMATICALLY ADDED TO BILL!) comes to total of £123.19
Do I think it was worth £123.19......no! There were bits of brilliance, the steak was cooked superbly, the atmosphere was nice, the server (more later) was great but OVERALL a definite no from me.

THE SERVER - Robert was the 2nd best bit about the meal (after the steak!) as he told us what quantities to order...we originally were going to order the same as above PLUS 1/2 a lobster an extra chips. He genuinley said this was too much and suggested 1 chips and cancel the lobster as the snallest steak they did at 800grams would be sufficient...he was correct. The quantities we had was perfect. If we had ordered what we usually do then there would of been alot of wastage of food....so Hawksmoor if your reading this Robert is a class server and deserved his £13.69 service charge (but I would like to choose this myself than have it added on - even though it says 'optional on the receipt).

So...in a summary; I was OVERALL disappointed in the experience, the cost was ok for what we had but it does not justify the extra when compared to my local Miller&Carter Restaurent which does great steaks at a greatly reduced cost but not at a greatly reduced taste factor; don't include an automatic service charge - let the customer decide and finally...watch the portions you order as they come up big and you may not get a server like Robert was honest about the portion sizes and guided us correctly.

Hope this helps....I am not a food critic, not a steak professional, just a normal person telling it as WE experienced it today.

B GOOD.