“Nice Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #352 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Southport, United Kingdom
“Nice Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

On a recent visit to the Albert Hall I needed to stay overnight. This Hotel was suggested to me by one of the Hotel Agencies and I was a little apprehensive. The Hotel has recently been refurbished and public areas are bright and modern. I had been booked in to a room in the basement (called lower ground!) and although the twin room was lovely it had no windows. I was moved to the first floor into a Single room which was much smaller but did have a window. The Hotel is clean, comfortable is nicely situated in Kensington. There is the added bonus of having a few shops, bars and cafes just a short walk away. I recommend this Hotel but I advise requesting a room that is not in the basement.

Room Tip: Basement rooms have no window!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Puggygirl1
Merrin J, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Maureen

I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to review our hotel on Trip Advisor, and I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Our hotel is one of many in London that do have rooms in our lower ground floor. These rooms are some of the larger rooms in the hotel and are often requested by guests for that reason. All of our basement rooms do have windows, but it may be that the one you were allocated was a back facing room so the amount of daylight coming in may have been minimised. I am happy though that we were able to move you to an alternative room when you requested it.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges Kensington London soon.

Merrin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

First of all it must be said that the hotel itself is very nice, well decorated and the executive king room is comfortable, quite spacious and clean. Unfortunately my 3 night stay was spiced up by an extremely dismissive front desk manager Mr. Aziz. Upon arrival, after finding the exterior is under construction (no word on the website prior to booking naturally), I asked for a room on a higher floor to avoid the noise. I was refused by Mr. Aziz, and ended up in the basement level right under the hotel bar. Next day the same tiny bar was full of about 20 hotel staff drinking and celebrating all encouraged by the manager. This made me feel like I´ve appeared uninvited at someone else´s party and I´m paying for it. When I asked for something as obvious as a box of matches I was refused again and sent to „check at the reception“ (myself:) then to „check at the restaurant“ and so on. Finally, when I asked how they happen to light all the candles in the lobby, I was told (to one´s surprise) „by a lighter“. Dared to ask whether I can borrow this lighter? – unfortunately not, of course. The most annoying thing was however the internet. As usual you have to pay for it and the trick here is that when you buy for example a „day pass“, you log in, spend an hour online, log off, go to sleep or out, the next time you get back on the voucher has „expired“. If you buy „an hour“, you spend 30 minutes online, log off and log back on same day, the voucher again „expired“. No matter if your computer is on or off, same day or next, the voucher clock keeps ticking. When enquired at the reception, Mr. Aziz, my favorite at that point, just kept repeating like an answering machine that „the hotel is not responsible“ (no matter the wifi is called „Rydges-wifi“). Side to that 20 minute phone call to the US costs exactly 100 GBP, the check out is at 11am, not at 12 as usual and so on. It´s a pity, out of The Rockwell, Radisson Vanderbilt, Citadines Prestige which are all nearby and where I stayed this year, Rydges would have been my choise, that is unless Mr.Aziz wouldn´t go the extra foot to make your stay deliberately annoying.

Room Tip: I´d say when you catch a price, go for Exec. King/twin, all the other ones appear to be on the tiny...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank juliusjulius
Merrin J, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear juliusjulius

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback about your stay with us. I am however obviously disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered.
As you noted, the hotel was undergoing exterior refurbishment works during you stay, and I can only apologise that you were not made aware of this. All external booking websites were advised of this so it seems there has been a breakdown in communication of which I will be following up on. The works are now near completion and are the final part of the full hotel refurbishment which was commenced in 2011.
Unfortunately it is not always possible for us to accommodate guest requests for rooms on higher floors of the hotel, but we do try our best to where we can.
I am happy though that you did enjoy the new rooms and found them to be clean and comfortable.

I am sorry that you felt unwelcome in the hotel bar on the second night of your stay. On occasion we will host drinks for some team members in the bar and in this instance we were saying farewell to a long-serving manager. We always ensure that the patrons of the bar are given precedence over any staff members and try and keep any staff to one area of the bar.

Regrettably the hotel does not hold a stock of matches, but I apologise that you were not advised of this by the first person you requested them from. The candles in our lobby are lit using a commercial gas powered lighter not a standard cigarette lighter, therefore it would not have been appropriate for us to give this to you.

You note that the most annoying thing was in relation to the internet and how the charging system works. The internet system is provided to us by a third party which I think our Manager on Duty, Azeez was trying to advise you of, however it seems he has come across in the wrong way. The way the internet is charged and how it counts down the time is all set by this third party and is not easily changeable by us. I will however take your comments on board and review them when we next look at the wi-fi provision within the hotel.

Your comment in relation to the telephone charges is noted, however all call charges are clearly displayed within the hotel compendium which can be found in each guest room.

You are correct that the check out time for the hotel is 11am, and different hotels do have varying times for check out. Late check outs are available on a request basis and where possible we will do our best to arrange this for you.

Again, I apologise that the service level you experienced whilst staying with us was not up to your expectations, and not up to our normally high standards. I can assure you I will be addressing the points you have raised with the staff members involved. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel at some stage in the future.

Best regards
Merrin Joseph
Acting General Manager
Belo Horizonte
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Great location, near Gloucester tube station. Great bed (big and comfortable), good room service. Although the hotel is going through some building works, it did not make our stay less comfortable or noisy.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anaclaraflores
Dear anaclaraflores

On behalf of the team at Rydges Kensington London, thank you for taking the time to post some comments about your recent stay.
I’m very pleased to hear that the building works didn’t disrupt you at all. We are doing our best to minimise the disruption to our guests whilst we put the finishing touches on the hotel.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

this is now my third time I have stayed at Rydges Kensington! I wont go anywhere else.
Its amazing in every way. This time I stayed with a friend so we had a twin room and it was just as good as queen, room was the same classy interior with modern amenities and boutique furniture! I'm coming back again in August and I cant wait!

Room Tip: Third Floor is great! but any room you choose is going to be Fantastic!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear chlobo2

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about the hotel. It’s so nice to read such positive feedback and I will be passing this on to the team. I’m pleased you like the design and finish of the rooms and we look forward to seeing you back in August!

Best regards
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I didn't travel in May 2011 as I have stated but the drop down menu on this Trip Advisor site, did not offer me February 2005, which is when I did travel to the UK alone!

I had an amazing time travelling alone and booked absolutely everything before I left Australia. I stayed in one of the Rydges hotel rooms, which I booked through my travel agent in Brisbane, because it suited my price range and I was also guided by the tour operator who had also stayed there before. Although the room was extremely small, it was a very central location and had lovely (Australian) staff.... one staff member having gone to the same high school as I had in Redcliffe Queensland and other staff had worked in and knew staff who had worked in Cairns, far north Queensland, whom I also knew! The room was essentially and long rectangle room that was as wide as a single bed (located at the end of the room) so that's how I know! Off to one side was a very very small shower/toilet cubicle, which was really only just a "hole in the wall" space. A very large person would not have fit in there! I am larger than average so I do know this first hand! Nevertheless, the room was cost-effective, safe and clean and there was a restaurant right in the foyer, which were both clean and safe and the food was lovely as I did dine there too. I walked past the Museum, which was close and right down past there to Hyde Park and to Harrods (about a twenty to thirty min walk) and caught a red open top bus to see all of the famous tourist sights of London and then got off and walked back from Oxford Street to Harrods and then caught a London taxi back to the hotel just for the experience. Right across the road form Rydges is a great Post Office where I bought post cards and stamps and exchanged money. I had my photo taken in front of the red postal box and with the double deck red bus in the background. I felt completely safe at the hotel and I took advantage of the shuttle bus back supplied by the hotel to Heathrow airport for the next part of my journey to Crete in Greece.

Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Sandra A
Dear Sandra

It was great to read such a detailed review, especially after such a long time since you stayed! I note your comments in regards to the size of some of our rooms. We do find that our single rooms are popular with travellers who are looking for value for money and a comfy place to rest their head, so we try to price these accordingly.

I really do hope you have the chance to come back and visit us as the hotel rooms and public areas are now fully refurbished, and I’m sure all our staff (including the Australian’s) will be pleased to welcome you back.