“An adventure in the night” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #383 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Treviso, Italy
“An adventure in the night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

When I read bout some fool adventure at the reception of this hotel I smiled, I booked anyway for its good rate and for the outstanding position. If you are arriving with RyanAir there is a bus station from Stansted right out of the hotel making it really convenient.

I stayed there last December with my wife.

The flight was late and so we arrived at 1.30 AM at the reception. The man at the desk was surprised to see us and he started to type at the computer for a ling time, I guess that if I hadn't the printed copy of my booking he would have difficulties to check us in.

After a long period he confessed that he was experiencing a IT problem that prevented him to retreive our booking, anyway after 20 minutes he gave us a room in the other building where a russian porter helped us to take our luggage.

After additional 5-10 minutes walk we finally arrived to OUR room. The russian guy opened the door, switched the light on and ..... surprise, surprise, surprise .... a guy was sleeping in the bed and he got awake looking at me ... I will never forget his face (luckily he was alone).

We got back to reception (2 AM was already passed) and the same guy at the desk didn't apologize too much, just complained with his previous collegue that he specify was chinese (by the way I also considered a lack of professionality complaining about collegues with us).

At 2.15AM we finally were assigned in a room in the main building, we were upgraded and had fre breakfast. We were on holiday so we mainly smiled at all the adventure but the incredible experience we had demonstrates the orrible organization of the hotel.

In my opinion this hotel is too big and the management is not strong enough to handle such big volume of guests.

One last comment is about breakfast: it was definitely good (especially since it was free) but the breakfast room in the basement was more similar to a college canteen without windows
than to a 4 star hotel.

I will not go back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alberto1919

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Larchmont, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I found this hotel to be in a great location. The room was a nice size. Free internet if plugged into the wall with the executive room.

The lobby foyer was a fun sight, especially around happy hour or late nights. I would recommend it for the price-conscious business traveler going to London.

The buffet for breakfast was a bit disappointing. I found it to be expensive and not very tasty. The crowd after 9AM had a line out the door.

Room Tip: Pre-pay for the executive rooms and you'll get a relatively decent price, as far as London goes.
birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Great location on junction of Park Lane and Oxford St, right by Marble Arch tube station, and very near Hyde Park.

A stark, and unwelcoming, huge entrance area full of guests roaming around. Drab corridors leading to rooms. Rooms quite small for this standard, but quite a good standard overall.

Breakfast can be bought for about £12 per person.

belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed here overnight for my birthday last march. Greeted warmly good service throughout and very helpful with directing us to where we needed to go. Room was spotless and tastefully decorated. We ordered room service for the next morning. Breakfast was expensive for what it was tho since it was my birthday we decided to go for it. Think it was around 60-70 pound for a basic fry up and one pastry and scone and tea. Do not waste your money!!!!! Everything we ticked on the breakfast menu (sausage egg etc) we received the opposite, a total veggie breakfast!!! We rang reception who assured us it would be sorted - we received sausages 45 mins later minus the bacon egg etc. by which stage the tea etc was cold. We didn't complain which we should have really. We then ended up going to pret a manger and getting food and taking a picnic to the little fountain park which was so lovely defo recommend this. Would not fault Cumberland service etc just wouldn't order food there again. Nice stay there which was unfortunately upset by the breakfast mishap almost 100 pound on breakfast in the end! Would stay here again great location and nice chilled out atmosphere inside the hotel. Decor in reception is very arty/ quirky. Fresh :)

• Stayed March 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CumberlandGM, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Hi Chrissie19913

Thank you for your review, I am sorry your breakfast experience clearly made such a poor impression on an otherwise enjoyable stay with us, I was very concerned to read about this issue and the amount that you quote. I know it was a long time ago but would value some further information from you if you would please get in touch, I may be able to help.

All the best,

Tim Cordon
cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

The hotel is very well located.The rooms were very clean and comfortable,the lay out was excellent.All the staff were friendly and polite,nice dining and bar areas.Gary Rhodes is located here.The only negative was that there was no water in the rooms.Vert reasonable price wise.

Hello Barnabasbabe

Thank you for the feedback, I am very pleased to hear you and your daugther had a great time with us, I will be sure to share your comments with my very proud team. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Cumberland.

Kind regards