“Fantastic tour, lots of great artwork”
Review of Alternative London

Alternative London
Ranked #1 of 177 Food & Drink in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the London you won't find in the guide books with London's original off-the-beaten-track tour provider! Come with us to explore the culture, community and street art of London's vibrant East End. We offer unique and original walking tours, bike tours and food & drink tours and as London's original street art tour provider we also offer street art workshops led by our team of street artists. Tour prices start at pay-what-you-want so there's something for everyone at a price to suit all budgets. Let our expert guides show you the real London, from a local's perspective!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fantastic tour, lots of great artwork”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Went on this with a friend last night and had a great time! It was very interesting to learn about street art and the artists that create these temporary pieces for all to see and enjoy. Our tour guide was very honest and had some good facts. Glad I went!

• Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
“The best way to see real London and great art, a must do”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

A great way to see a bit of real London, learn some history of the East End, and best of all, see some of the best street art in the world. Run purely from donations, Gary has a proper passion for the area and street art. Constantly being updated, if you go to London, check it out before the City folk, and their cronies "sanitise" it out of existence.

Visited April 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Fun, informative and eye opening experience about east london and it's street art”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Really enjoyed this tour - I like how it stayed true to the artists and the honesty of the guides. I think it had a great balance between the historical context of the city and how it relates to the urban culture that exists there today. The guides are clearly passionate about the art and have great respect for the artists and it shows in their delivery. Definitely worth a visit - even if you are local to East London (as I am!), I will be wondering the streets of East London with eyes wide open looking for little gems in unexpected places.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best tour ever!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This is one of the best tours I have ever done! I have lived in London for 2years, and this opened up my eyes to another side of it. To be guided around and shown some of the most amazing art work, by someone in the know and who is truly passionate about the art, artists and East London was amazing. Very rare these days ti find genuine passion, not someone just doing something for a quick buck. This is the real deal, and has opened my eyes to how oblivious I can be just wandering around - there is some amazing stuff out there, and yes you could just walk around by yourself - but these guys know their stuff, all about the artists and take you to some amazing pieces of art down random streets you would never otherwise know.

Do it! I have recommended all my friends, and would even go again.

2 Thank tash_newbs
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really interesting and colourful way to spend a few hours”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

As a Londoner who goes out a fair bit in East London, it felt a bit funny joining a tour of an area I thought I knew well as though I was a tourist. However, I am so glad I did as I learned things about East London I had no idea about! Our tour guide was Doug, who was funny without being annoying, and who kept the tour going at the perfect pace, so the afternoon never dragged or felt rushed. Doug openly admitted at the start that his background was not in art or history, and although I have to admit I would be interested to take the tour with Gary the company founder to see if he provides a more in depth history into the art and artists, Doug had clearly done his research and learned a lot about the culture and I trusted that all he had to say was accurate.

What was amazing about this tour is that it is obviously not just a set route with set stopping points that the guides have visited a hundred times, a lot of the work we were shown was created in the last couple of weeks which really felt exciting and underlined the fleeting nature of street art. It also means you could go on this tour again and again and see new things every time. It showed that the tour guides really have their finger on the pulse, and made Doug's only recent involvement in that world even more irrelevant.

Something that stuck with me was the way in which that side of London is being developed on so quickly now, and the charm of London's "poor" east is being swallowed up in fancy high rise buildings and shopping centres. I find this to be incredibly sad, as this tour completely highlighted a side of London that is totally unique to anywhere else. I recommend going on this tour before East London's street art scene all but disappears.

P.S. the tour is free but I would put mentally put aside at least some money to give your tour guide at the end, they really deserve it

Visited March 2012

Been to Alternative London? Share your experiences!