“great overnight experience”

Ranked #129 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Detroit, Michigan
“great overnight experience”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I travel to London 4 times a year, has always stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum Hotel. Due to a last minute change of schedule for an additional night in London, I decided to give the Crowne Plaza across the Cromwell street a try. Being a PC Platinum member, I was immediately upgraded to a suite on the first floor. Although the bedroom was a bit on the small side with the king bed occupying most space, it was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The sofa in the living room, however, was a bit too soft for my taste. Although my room was next to the busy Cromwell street, the insulation seems to have done a good job of filtering the noise. I was very impressed with this hotel and will definitely return on my next trip to UK.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Analyst 1953
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I hop eyou will cintinue to use us on future visits to London when you want a little more luxury than the great Holiday Inn accross the road can offer.
Lawder Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This hotel has recently had a major refurbishment which has been done very well resulting in an opulent foyer and comfortable rooms. The location is excellent - just across the road from Gloucester Road tube. There are shops and restaurants all around. The staff were very helpful. We booked this as a secret hotel so got a very good deal but I suspect the price will go up soon. I would definitely return to this hotel. The rooms were quite large and well appointed with a wide range of tea/coffee/chocolate and there were plentiful toiletries in the bathroom which was smart and clean. The only problem was that the magnifying mirror on the wall was in a most inaccessible position over the sink. Sadly the window would not open and the heat/cool unit was not working, so even though it was March we were far too hot.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Sooperstar 100
Thank you for your review. i am delighted that you liked the result of our re-furbished ground floor with the enlarged reception and upgraded bar, lounge and restaurant. ( we will shortly be upgrading the garden too).
I am sorry that you were unable to cool your room sufficiently, I have asked our engineer to check the air conditioning to ensure it is cooling properly, particularly now we are entering the warmer months ( at last).
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2012

After reading the mixed reviews I snagged a reasonable deal & decided to try this hotel for myself. Gloucester Road underground station is literally across the road from the hotel. Turn left out of the station, cross at lights and walk down footpath to hotel entrance. Surrounding area is great, cafes, restaurants and an excellent Waitrose supermarket opposite. I did not eat in the hotel, I bought breakfast at Waitrose as I was travelling alone.
So the hotel? I agree it is having a bit of an identity crisis as a previous reviewer stated but for the money and location ... I would stay again ONLY IF the hotel provides free wifi in the rooms, mandatory when the internet is used so much for planning trips and attractions. The foyer was undergoing renovations while I was there one week ago ... did not bother me ... except when using wifi in public area ... too noisy, I'm sure that is no longer the case.
Room was very clean and the bed extremely comfy with quality linen, bathroom was clean and modern but poorly designed.
Fridge is computer controlled, once an item is removed you are charged for it,
a very small space only is provided for guests use. Two glasses of superb wine downstairs in the bar cost almost 20 pounds.
Desk in room 320 was against the wall with not enough room to pull the chair out without hitting it against the bed. Again ... poorly designed. Yes there were a few scuff marks on the papered walls and desk but not enough to concern me as everything else was spotless.
Victoria & Albert and British Histiry Museums are an easy level walk, a bit further will get you to Harrods and loads of specialty stores, the food hall there is a must!
Summary? This hotel certainly sits somewhere between 3 and 4 stars in an excellent location.

Room Tip: Wi fi is free in public areas.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Chardygal
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear YilinT
Thank you for leaving your review of the hotel, I am so pleased that you chose to stay at our hotel for your honeymoon and hope that you will reurn to London and to Crowne Plaza Kensington many times in the future.
Our policy in housekeeping is always to knock and wait twice before enetering a room - I will reiterate this to our team and apologise that someone entered your room too quickly without waiting for a response.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We stayed at Crowne Plaza Kensington for 4 nights for our honeymoon. I emailed the hotel to request a room with more privacy and they upgraded us to a loft suite. Very pleasant surprise. The staff were always friendly and helpful with directions and all cos it was our first time in London. Room was always nicely made up and cleaned when we returned. Just a small thing. Twice, we were in the room when staff knocked and immediately opened the door. Could've been embarrassing.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Yilin T
Dear Yilin T
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you chose our hotel for your honeymoon and hope that you will return to London and to Crowne Plaza Kensington many times in the future.
I apologise that someone entered your room without waiting for an answer, our policy is always to knock and wait twice before entering and I will reiterate this policy to our housekeeping team.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I just had a fantastic night in Crowne Plaza Kensington. As a Platinum Priority Club card holder, I did receive an upgrade to junior suite. On the sixth floor, the two storeys penthouse is just CUTE. My wife and I just love it! Very nice staff, especially a gentleman called Mohammad. Great willingness to help.
Will definitely go back at some points in the future!

Room Tip: Sixth floor is very good!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Oxfei
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit so much. Do come back again soon - we have now finished the front hall refurbishment that was taking place during your stay.