“Great Hotel”
Review of The Rembrandt

The Rembrandt
Ranked #236 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I spent the last week (February 20-27) at the Rembrandt. I absoluttely loved my stay there. It had all what I was looking for and more. It was clean and quiet and the customer service was above par. I was warmly greeted by Nicolas at the front desk when I registered as I was everytime by the staff at the bar, in the hallways and in the restaurant. On top of that they were very efficient. They had someone come to my room the first evening to fix my TV within five minutes of having called down.
Typical of Europe, my room (single) was small (8 steps from my bed to the bathroom) but very well appointed and again clean, quiet and with windows that opened.
One small complaint would be the slamming of room doors by guests. I suspect this has to do with the door locks which require one to pull the door closed. A sign on the door requesting that guests do so lightly would clear up this slight inconvenience.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy street, because my room faced a courtyard I did not hear any noise. I expect...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank dctk
There are newer reviews for The Rembrandt

Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stayed at the Rembrandt for three nights and it was wonderful, the rooms where clean, large and fully equipted. The breakfast was brilliant and lots of choice, the cocktails where excellent and not too expensive! (£9.00). Brilliant location with South Kensington tube a two second walk and located on a good taxi route. We got a taxi to Covent Garden - only £12.00 on a sat night! Would stay at this hotel again!

Only bad point... Shower Curtains!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The location is excellent - opposite the museums in London - but don't try to get there on the train with luggage. The access from the station is shocking! The hotel was clean, the beds comfortable, and the staff polite. The breakfast was amazing - the choice in the buffet was spectacular. Next time we are in London, we will stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrRie
Reviewed 22 February 2012

As part of my business trip to London, I stayed for One Night (17/2/2012) at Rembrandt, South Kensington, London. The room offered to me was twin bed room at a very reasonable rate for the kind of location and services provided. Although it was a little confusing to reach the room at times however for people staying for more than one night can get used to it. The staff at front desk was very helpful. About the room, it was very cosy and provided a comfortable stay. At times there were issues with the wifi within the room. The restaurant provided good dining options.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed at The Rembrandt in 2006 and recently returned for a three-night stay in February 2012. This hotel offers a great neighborhood location directly across the street from the Victoria and Albert Museum and just a few blocks from Harrods. The location is fantastic for tourists!

The hotel is just outside of the central London bustle but situated near the South Kensington tube so that you can get to any part of London easily (buy an all-day travel card to save money – offered at the ticket machines – and good for buses and the tube). We like the hotel’s location as it allows you to experience London but stay in a smaller neighborhood with nice shops and restaurants – and without the crowds. A few more reasons we enjoy this hotel:

- Convenience from the airport – The property is near the South Kensington tube stop on the Picadilly Line with trains running direct from Heathrow. I loved not having to change trains, and the ride on the tube saves you considerable money over other forms of transportation into London (the one-way tube ticket from the airport costs just over 5 pounds – you need a zone 6 to zone 1 ticket. By comparison, the Heathrow Express Train costs over 19 pounds one way, and you will still need to take the tube or a cab from Paddington Station to the hotel. Taking the tube saves you a ton!) The walk from the tube to/from the hotel takes about 5 minutes along an easy, safe path through a lovely neighborhood. By the way, I timed the journey to/from Heathrow, and each train trip took about 40 minutes.

- The Kensington Neighborhood – The area around the South Kensington tube stop offers many casual, affordable food options that won’t break your budget. We enjoyed Muriel’s Kitchen for breakfast on our arrival morning and for coffee/tea and snacks we visited Gail’s and Paul (two separate bakery shops). Additionally, we ate at a local café named Greenfield’s (where two of us enjoyed breakfast with tea for under 12 pounds total) and a wonderful Lebanese restaurant – all located right around the entrance to the tube. There is also a Starbucks and Pret Manger for snacks. If you leave the hotel and walk in the opposite direction of the South Kensington station (Harrods is only 2 blocks in this direction), you will pass many more moderate to upscale restaurants, coffee houses and pubs. All to say, there are lots of nice options located near the hotel.

Finally, we found this property to be both safe (you need a guest room card to activate the elevator, which we appreciated) and clean. There is free wireless internet throughout the hotel (a nice amenity) and a lovely bar and restaurant. The staff is very efficient, and we had no issues. Our room was not available until about 1:30 p.m. on the day of our morning arrival, but the staff kept our bags and we walked to Kensington Park and Kensington Palace – a lovely way to stay awake after a red-eye flight from the U.S.!

While I do like The Rembrandt, I will mention that the hotel rooms are a bit small (see photo) but nicely decorated and very clean. My only complaint with this hotel is that the room doors slam and noise travels easily through thin walls. We were awakened every morning around 8:00 a.m. with the sounds of housekeeping knocking on doors and entering/exiting rooms – with the sounds of doors slamming – while performing their morning duties. It was a bit much.

Overall, I enjoyed The Rembrandt, its location and the neighborhood. I will definitely consider staying there again when I next visit London.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple