“It really depends on which room you get”

Sydney House Chelsea
Ranked #240 of 1,069 Hotels in London
USA
“It really depends on which room you get”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Sydney House hotel is in an excellent location in Chelsea. Victor who works at the front desk is wonderful, extremely courteous, and works hard to try to ensure all the guests are well taken care of. If you are lucky enough to get a room in the back at least one floor up perhaps the second to fourth floor then definitely stay here. The rooms on the front face a busy street, and the rooftop suite, which has an amazing terrace backs into the fans for the hotel, so you get a vibration humming sound all night long from the equipment on the rooftop. The hotel has free internet which is great for London, the rooms were very clean, comfortable bedding, high quality linens. Again, be wary of what room you have if you want to get a good nights sleep. Also, don't use the car service they recommend. I booked a cab to the airport through them, and the guy showed up in a dinky van that had duck tape on the door handle. I would have been better off just booking my own radio car or hailing one from the street.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank savvytraveler101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Arabic first
Oakland, California
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I attended here for a weekend away and found the hotel to be perfectly located with plenty to do around the area. Within easy access to many restaurants and cafes and accessible via public transport. I look forward to returning with my husband for a long weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2011

My first time here, was for business, but would happily stay for pleasure too. For the price, excellent room and facility, great helpful staff. I almost don't want to recommend this as it will become harder for me to get a room!

Room Tip: The penthouse looks good, but I haven't tried it.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Given the amount of luggage we had, upon check-in, the man at the front desk thought our secheduled room may be too small. He gave us the key to three rooms to check which one would be better suited for us! Very helpful!

The location was fabulous and the hotel was very clean. A great place to stay!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed 20 September 2011

The location is in a decent area right outside of central London and very close to the museums and local shops/restaurants. The room is small for the price you pay and the bed is very nice. but I have to agree that the walls and floors are paper thin. You can hear everything upstairs and next door. Management should have already noticed this by now and make sure ALL floors are carpeted. i was on the 3rd floor and it was obvious that the 4th floor above did not have carpeting. Sounded like a tap dance room upstairs and I was subject to this until person went to bed. I can't blame the people, as their walking was no diff than mine...just that the wooden floors obviously resonate. You could also hear the TVs next door.

PROS: - Great bed and sheets
- clean bathroom
- central location and close to South Kensington Tube

CONS: - Walls are paper thin
- beware 3rd floor occupants as 4th floor did not have carpeting (see above)
- very small
- Uninformed Front Desk regarding my corporate plan

The part which really annoyed me after my 3 day stay is apparently my company has a corporate rate with breakfast included in the price. But when I got there, I was told that breakfast was not included, which I guess is NORMALLY the case. Due to this, I proceeded to obtain my own breakfast every morning outside the hotel since I was told it wasn't free. The company plan coordinator then reiterated to me on my last day that breakfast was free, but thus it was too late. I would have really appreciated some type of customer service to compensate me or offer me something for my inconvenience and misinformation. Alas nothing.

This last issue really was the breaking point, and I cannot recommend this hotel

Room Tip: beware 3rd floor occupants as 4th floor did not have carpeting (see above) Stay on 4th floor only d...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business