All reviewscardinal suitesignature suitefulham roadsouth kensingtonwedding nightrestaurant downstairsromantic weekendquiet neighborhoodthe general managerafternoon teacontinental breakfasta lovely staysingle roomluxurychelseamirrorbasement
Reviewed 16 January 2018

I am working as a Graduate Management Trainee in Firmdale Hotels. Previous to this I worked as a Junior Concierge for 2 years at the Ham Yard.

My passion for hospitality and the industry so far has helped me understand what it takes for the perfect guest experience. When I came to stay for the night at Blake’s it was my birthday and as it should be for anyone, it is always a special occasion.

The experience for me from start to finish was perfect and something I will always remember. The reservations agent was very helpful when arranging my room for me and took the time out to email me back and fourth quickly and efficiently. When my partner and myself arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a lovely doorman/concierge member of staff who took our bags straight to the room. He had a great chat with us. His enthusiasm was incredible - certainly one of the highlights of our stay.

The room was gorgeous and an inspiration to any young designers out there. When going into the room we had a bottle Laurent Perrier waiting for us. It was thoroughly enjoyed - so perfectly chilled and crisp.

The next morning we had breakfast and I myself chose the Eggs Royale. I can honestly say it was the best I have ever had and I have had a lot of Eggs Royale - it is my go to breakfast vibe.

I really hope that one day everyone gets to experience such an amazing, cool and sleek environment such as Blake’s. Boutique always does it the best.......

Room Tip: The four poster rooms in the 'Directors Double' category are gorgeous!
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jack S
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2018

Dear Jack S

Consider Blakes your second home in London.

It was such a pleasure to look after a fellow hotelier, especially one that really understands the design and homely feel of Blakes.

Your kind words have been passed on to the team.

Let me know when you are next at Blakes, if you can get away from Ham Yard! And we can share some more chilled champagne.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

Stayed in London for a night to see a show. Used this an SPG member to try something different and different it was. Positives, staff were good, location is good and South Ken a good area to potter around in. We didn't eat at the hotel, so can't comment there, but I have to say the room we were given was so cramped it was almost preposterous. The double bed just fitted in the room (2ft from 3 of the walls), the coffee machine was effectively placed in the wardrobe and we had to take it in turns to go from bed to bathroom. If querky, compact and bijou is your thing this is it, but for us there were not enough of the basics such as space to easily move around in.

Room Tip: Ask for room with space !!
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul J

Dear Paul J

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we really do listen to all comments from our guests.

I am pleased you enjoyed your interaction with our wonderful team, I feel we have some of the best staff in London.

I totally understand that some of our rooms are on the cosy side, we do have a large selection of categories to choose from. Yes, we have just added Nespresso machines to all our rooms, not just higher category rooms, and with some of the rooms, we had to place in unusual places, but we felt that the machines are an amenity that most people want in their rooms these days.

Let me know if you would like to try Blakes again, and I can ensure you get a larger room for your stay.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

We stayed at this iconic hotel with some friends from Germany. We received a very warm welcome and were checked in very efficiently. Our car was taken away and parked without fuss.

Our room was beautifully decorated in black and gold and met the very high standard we expected.

Downstairs there is a new restaurant (at least new to us) but here some of the shine wore off. We arrived at 3.30pm on Saturday afternoon and asked for afternoon tea thinking we would be able to get sandwiches and some small cakes but no! The restaurant only runs a lunch/dinner menu all day and although it must have a fully working kitchen we were told they were not able to make sandwiches. Disappointing for a 5 * hotel and bearing in mind the excellent afternoon tea available at some other London establishments,

We did not eat in the hotel in the evening but arrived back late to find the downstairs bar area full and throbbing with loud music and we were only allowed in the upstairs bar (in the restaurant) after lengthy negotiation by one of the staff.

Breakfast was unfortunately also a bit of a mess with poor service. Plates being taken away when still in use, coffee not refilled, porridge and scrambled egg delivered at the same time so the egg had to be sent back to the kitchen.

Otherwise the stay was comfortable and generally the down stairs staff were very helpful but we were left with the feeling that there is a danger of the hotel providing style but losing substance in the overall offering.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sizzler57

Dear Sizzler57

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I am overjoyed that you enjoyed you room at Blakes, we have spent the last eighteen months sprucing up our rooms, and we are getting wonderful feedback on them.

I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience as much in our restaurant. We have gone through may changes in this department and I understand that we have some work to do on our service levels in this area. We have spent the last month working with the team, bringing in some new people to ensure the same levels of service are the same throughout the house, I hope next time you come to stay, you will see an improvement.

We do not serve afternoon tea, but choose to serve our brunch menu all day every day. We feel there is enough venues in London serving afternoon tea, especially in this area. We have started to offer a homemade complimentary cake Monday to Friday in the afternoons, to any guests that wishes to pop in for a cup of tea and a slice, please come in and try Raul's delicious daily offering.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, we really do listen and learn from all comments.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Blakes is always worth to stay. The stuff is very friendly and extremely obliging. One feel very welcome. The style is very special and we do love it. For example the cupboards you do not see because they are covered with wall paper. For the eyes nice because you do not see too much furniture, on the other hand it is not always convenient. The bathroom is very narrow. But the restaurant and the atmosphere in the whole hotel indemnify for this circumstance. We spend for nights in Blakes and we will come again. Especially the breakfast we would recommend. Great! South Kensington is a beautiful area and you are also next to Chelsea which is also one of the most favored residential quarters.

Room Tip: Next time we would choose Director's Double. The normal double was very tight.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Gabriele

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review on your stay with us Blakes.

I am very happy that you especially enjoyed your interaction with our team. We spend a lot time training and nurturing our team to provide a service at Blakes, that ensures all our guests feel like they are part of the family.

We are in the process of updating our breakfast menu, so you must come back soon to try some more new healthy dishes that our chefs are adding.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

Affordable luxury, quiet, relaxed, un-posy. Blakes give you everything that you need for a romantic stay in London, the rooms are all individually quirky and you must try the restaurant the food is great too!!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Dear Francis
Happy New Year!
Who said romance was dead? Not at Blakes!
I am very pleased you enjoyed your time in our little house in South Kensington, and that you loved the quirky design, and ambience of Blakes.
We are one of the first choices of hotel in London when people are looking for something slightly different and as you say, romantic, especially being so close to Chelsea Town Hall..
Do let me know when you are returning, so we can have a little drink in our courtyard.