“Pleasant stay in a nice area”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End
Ranked #395 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 August 2017

I was staying here for work, having meetings at nearby UCL. It took me a little while to walk there, as London is always larger than I had remembered! The staff were very welcoming on arrival, and the hotel itself looked very modern and fresh when I stepped through the door: a complete contrast from the exterior which was very traditional!

The lift was a bit of a tight squeeze, but it turns out they had multiple lifts, and I just ended up in one of the pokier ones. As it happens, they have a really attractive central stair case, so I used that once I had dumped my suitcase in the room, which was nice.

The room itself was unusually laid out, but very comfortable. A nice TV, a decent bed, and a reasonable bathroom made the room a nice place to be, and I slept very well. The only real downside was the view out of the window! That was more London Blitz than London Ritz, but I guess someone has to look out that side!

There was a slightly faulty light fixture, which I mentioned on my way out one morning, and that was fixed by the time I returned in the afternoon.

A downside was that the nearest tube station was Holborn, which was having some escalator replacements, so there were massive queues just to get in the door of the station, let alone to actually get on a train. In the end I just walked a slightly longer route to Euston Square and that worked fine for me.

I would definitely consider staying here again if I find myself in the area.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room looking out the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton London West End!
Regards for feedback related to your previous experience at our hotel! Thank you for all your comments and notes which I shall pass to relevant departments to share your thoughts with them!
We hope that we shall have the opportunity to welcoming you again at our hotel!

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End

Reviewed 4 August 2017

One of the best Hotels I have stayed in, small but adequate room, no noise, excellent breakfast and the staff were second to none, nothing too big for them, always attentative and always available. Pricey bar but to be expected for hotel. No different to any other in this respect. Handy for all of London.

Room Tip: We only had one room so do not know about the others but they all looked OK
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2017

the rooms were tiny. a single bed that is maybe less than a meter in wide, stuck to the wall from one side.. just horribly small room

hotel had a small area for a bar at the ground level.
location is not prime considering other locations in London - and with that was not a cheap hotel.

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

A lovely one night stay. Great location in London. Lots of buses nearby plus Holborn tube station.
Walking distance to the British Museum.
We had a fab new premium deluxe room on the lower ground floor. Nice and quiet!
Great buffet breakfast, lovely staff.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2017

I hold a loyalty card for the Hilton group, so when I needed a hotel and searched for availability using Hilton Honours points, this hotel popped up. I've never stayed in a DoubleTree before and the website and reviews looked OK. So I went ahead and paid for a standard room for one night using my loyalty points. I received an email confirmation confirming this had cost me 60,000 points and was paid for.

On the day of check-in ( a Friday) I was feeling under the weather and so I asked the Receptionist if I could have some assistance with my luggage to the room? He seemed slightly annoyed by this, which is surprising as I am pretty sure that this wasn't the first time a hotel guest requested luggage assistance? Anyway, I get to my room to find it was fairly spacious which is always a nice surprise when you stay in a London hotel. The bed was a good size, as was the bathroom which had a shower over the bath and all the usual amenities. The room did look rather tired if I am honest, and it was very very warm too (I stayed during the very hot weather in early July), so I tried to change the air con/cooling. Annoyingly it would not reduce lower than 19' and it certainly didn't feel like it was 19' in my room. It felt closer to 29'! I went to get some water from the fridge. Oh. There was no fridge. Just a space where it had been. I'm guessing it was removed for repair but never replaced? Great. A hot hotel room with no fridge. I rang down to room service and ordered two large bottles of water.

I went to switch on the TV. The 'No Signal' display came on. Seriously? No fridge and now a broken TV? I rang down to reception and asked to change rooms. I wasn't feeling well, this room was too hot and there was no fridge and I had a broken TV. The Receptionist sad no. He explained there were no other rooms, that the hotel was fully booked and he would send up an engineer to look at the TV for me.

Within half an hour the Engineer came up. It took me a while to get to the door as I felt so poorly and I explained about the TV. He fixed the TV for me and then, seemingly concerned, asked if I was OK and could he get me anything? I said I had rung down for water but that was over half an hour ago and it hadn't arrived, so he said he would find me some. Sure enough, he returned with a few small bottles of water for me. Now for me, this gentleman is a credit to the hotel. It wasn't his job to go and find me water, and yet he showed concern and wanted to help me as much as he could seeingas I was poorly.

An hour must have passed before I heard a knock on the door. The Manager had brought up my two large bottles of water I had ordered so long ago. He apologised saying they had been short staffed and he was sorry I had to wait so long.

That evening I went to run a bath. I stopped. There was pubic hair in the bath. Disgusting!

The next day I checked out after a very hot night (thanks to the lack of air con and fridge). Handing back my key card, the Receptionist then handed me a bill and requested I pay £249. WHAT? I explained that this was paid for with Hilton Honours points. She said it had only been part-paid as the room was actually over £400 for a night and this was the balance. Now I know what I booked, and no way would i have booked THIS terrible room knowing it was costing over £400 and only being part-paid? I'd have stayed somewhere else. So I found the email and showed her it confirming the room was fully paid for with points, but still she didn't believe me. In the end the manager stepped in, checked and apologised profusely. He scrapped the charge immediately saying a mistake had been made by them and it was fully paid for with my points. I did tell him how amazing the engineer had been, as I believe in giving credit where credit is due, but as for the rest of the stay? It was awful.

I've mentioned this is another review but I do have a theory that when you pay for a room using loyalty points you are assigned a shabby room. Maybe they think because we aren't paying cash we don't deserve a decent room? What they need to consider is, how did we get enough loyalty points in the first place? Yep-by spending cash on THEIR hotel brand. The room I was given was appalling. Broken air con, no fridge, a faulty TV, a 90 minute wait for water, pubic hair in the bath. It's like something you'd expect from a cheap B&B. I'm sorry but this hotel is tatty, unclean and overpriced and has now made me brand all the DoubleTree Hiltons as similar.

Go and find yourself somewhere better!

Room Tip: I would book in at a different hotel in order to get a good room!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo