“WHAT A PITY”

Jumeirah Carlton Tower
Ranked #165 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I know this hotel for the past 20years ,unfortunately i notice that the last 3 years there is a constant deteroration in standard of services. Except Rib room staff the receptionist is awful and unhelpful the choinerie lounge is the no-service area. Rooms have old window frames and there is noice coming from busy Sloane street. Recently the hotel is full of teenagers of arab origin who create a lot of noice and lack of manners.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ROSHAWK
JumeirahCarltonTower, Hotel Manager at Jumeirah Carlton Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2010

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your loyalty over the past 20 years as stated and hope that we may be able to resolve any issues with the hotel that you have experienced recently.

We are disappointed to read your comments and would wish to point our desire to resolve all complaints in a mutually beneficial fashion when they are brought to our attention.

In relation to the specific comment about the Window frames I am happy to advise you that these are all being replaced as part of a rolling program.

We hope that you will expand on your other comments with us on a return visit.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 12 February 2010

It was a very interesting experience. We were offered a 2 for 1 deal with Amex which we thought we would take up and enjoy an early Valentines experience involving a couple of days in Knightsbridge with shows and dinner etc.

There was a little confusion on check-in due to the agent confirming a room in the Jumeirah Lowndes [the boutique hotel just round the corner] rather than at the Carlton which is the better property. We were informed that the reservation was at the wrong property, mistakes do happen and an easy mistake to make to considering they are in such close proximity. What bothered me however was the way the Carlton attempted to resolve the situation. They confirmed they had availability and would honour the 2 for 1 deal at the Carlton but we would have to pay for a night at the Lowndes. How difficult would it have been to transfer a reservation to a sister property in the same group? It was penny pinching and they put us right in the middle of it. Amex were not impressed, I was not impressed. The check-in clerk did the running backwards and forwards movements conveying the responses from her supervisor who did not have the common courtesy to speak to us directly.

In their position I would have wanted to keep the customer happy and have spoken to Amex directly and acknowledged we were prepared to pay more for a room at their property and have treated us with the respect of giving us a coffee while we were waiting. Not making us feel like they didn't really want us to be there. I do also hold gold Sirius status. What an embarrassment for them!

Throughout my time at reception I was just waiting and waiting for them to just call their hotel manager to personalise the service to us. Am I as a guest not important enough to meet people higher up in the chain? It just dragged on and on going back and forth and my experience of high end places suggested a better way of handling an issue such as this would have been easy. Staff need to have the confidence to escalate issues to the most appropriate people and not be so arrogant as to assume they can deal with it themselves.

After seeing our annoyance and my comments that it was handled in the worst possible manner, the Hotel Manager did the right thing and called us and had a 20 min chat. He did upgrade us to a nice suite and sent champagne and afternoon tea which was very classy. It shouldn't have got to that stage though but it was a very decent and compassionate way to deal with the issue. On the final day we did want to extend check-out till 4, they couldn't give us the same room till 4 but they arranged for another room to be available so we could change to go to an event at the Mandarin Oriental, I thought it was a very nice gesture. My point is these are reactionary gestures once a problem has been created, not proactive gestures that prevent the problem from arising - it is a lack of experience.

Breakfasts there were good but overpriced if you don't have it included in the room. Even if you do have it included in the room, they get you to sign the bill. They take off the breakfast price but leave the 12.5% service charge on your bill on check-out - what is that all about?!!! Penny pinching and I just told them to remove that from the bill. To me an inclusive breakfast is just that - inclusive don't try to charge me anything for it!

The pool was very nice, the steam and sauna rooms are separate for men and women and are unimpressive. Yes it is a middle-eastern owned chain but we are in the UK and it would have been more pleasant to go into the steam room with my girlfriend so we could have a chat and enjoy the facilities together. So forget about the spa experience if you are using this as a couples retreat for a few days there is a nice property just down the road.

There is a lobby bar which is very nice and elegant and there was a lady playing the harp which was a very nice experience. I must also comment on wireless, there is no free wireless and the tariffs to access were about £20 a day which was uneconomical for just checking your mails. The monthly tariff if you are staying a long while is £450/month - crazy!!! Water in the room was £7 for 500ml. I know alot of wealthy people and it is the wealthy people that watch the prices on these little bits and pieces.

Overall, I enjoyed the location and experience. I felt I had to fight to get what I got and sadly it felt like a premium property struggling to come to terms with Jumeirah. A property which has had to increase prices to stay profitable. There are alot of middle eastern businessmen in the hotel which is nice to see. The hotel is however struggling for an identity and it shows, the check-in clerks need to have a little more experience and awareness of the options that travellers have. The Mandarin Oriental is just down the road - I could have stayed there instead and will do next time.

The Mandarin Oriental is in a similar position to the Jumeirah, expanding it's hotel base. But, they do it very differently. They take ownership of any issues you may have and handle your issues in a humble and experienced manner. I would have expected more attentive service considering I hold Jumeirah Gold status which I feel is not really valued here. This is not the best business hotel in the UK I don't care how the ratings were calculated - there is still a long way to go.

Regardless of the best efforts of staff, I don't feel confident that there won't be a similar incident in future therefore I do not intend coming back here.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2010

We spent a couple of days over New Year at Jumeirah Carlton Tower and I must say I was very satisfied with the service the Hotel provided. I booked a Garden Suite and asked the Hotel if it would be possible to see the fireworks from the room prior arrival. Once we cheked in we got an upgrade to a Executive Suite free of charge and the room was compared to the Garden suite 15sqm bigger than. All service from reception, housekeeping was excellent, every day we got a nice surpise on our room and even on New Years eve we got a bottle of Champagne free of charge. The Hotel is located next to Knightsbridge tube station. The area around the hotel is very pleasent and also the coffee offered by the Hotel at check in was a very nice touch. The sofa bed for the third person was set up every day for the night by the housekeeping every day so we were able to use the living room during the day as a sitting area. Last but not least, the indoor pool is brilliant. And yes, the hotel is not cheap, but if you consider all the service you get, with all extras the prioce is fair compared to London and the time (new year eve) we stayed there.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank travelsuisse
Reviewed 22 November 2009

my husband and i stayed here for our 3 year anniversary and from the moment we walked in to this beautiful hotel, we were treated like royalty. Concierge and reception were incredibly helpful and showed us to our room. When we came back from lunch, we had a bottle of complimentary champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries waiting for us-heaven! The bed was the softest most comfortable bed Ive ever known. The spa and pool facilities were excellent-you are handed slippers and a robe beforehand. We were upgraded from a superior to a deluxe room with a view overlooking a park and Sloane Street-lovely. The bathroom is fabulous with L'Occitane toiletries and room service visit you twice a day to top up your toiletries and clean. Check in is at 2pm but we got there at 12:30 we were informed our room was ready and that we could go up (bonus!) the porters were very efficient and had our bags up there in less than 10 minutes.

We had dinner at Rib Room where the food was amazing and the service laid back but very friendly, everyone from the Maitre d to the sommelier were smiling, happy and willing to have a laugh with you which was a nice change. Ivan our waiter was lovely and very knowledgeable about everything on the menu.

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, i am shocked with some of the reviews people have done on here, dont listen to them, this hotel is brilliant and the best service our of any london hotel we have stayed at!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tashii24
Reviewed 26 September 2009

The hotel is in an excellent location. In mid-September, my wife and I stayed for 4 days and the stay was fine with the exception of the concierge making a reservation for us at a restaurant and when we arrived there was no reservation and we waited 2 hours at the bar to be "accommodated" before leaving to go elsewhere. The laundry that I sent out was not back by the requested time and when I called to inquire about my clothes they were finally able to trace them to having been delivered to another guest's closet. Consequently, I was late for a meeting while the hotel had my laundry and was to be pressing my suits. And yes, I was still charged for the laundry.

The second time, this week. We had reserved a non-smoking room and were given a smoking room. When I requested a change they denied that the non-smoking room had been reserved. They accommodated me in a room the size of a closet where there was a 2 foot perimeter around the bed. The change request took the desk clerk 3 times of "going to check with the manager" and the gave me perhaps worst room in the hotel.

The fitness center is wonderful and the pool a delight. It is the reason that I have stayed twice in a month. Great equipment, although an AB machine would be a fantastic addition.

The hotel openly prefers its Arab guests and goes out of their way to ensure they are taken care of.
The entire staff is either Eastern European or Middle Eastern, it confirms Norman Tebbit's famous adage.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business