“Avoid, unpleasant stay”

Ranked #968 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Fife
“Avoid, unpleasant stay”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I had booked this hotel for a 2 night business stay, a friend also booked another room. On arrival i was told there were electrical issues and i was being moved. I don't have an issue with this as long as it's a comparible hotel. It wasn't and this is a reflection on SO Paddington and their values. My friend was also moved. We ended up at Assaha Hyde Park Apartments, both work in IT so WiFi is a requirement for our jobs, here are list of some issues - 1. No WiFi, well it didn't work on 4th floor. I was moved to 3rd floor and assured it would work, it didn't. 2 Shower had two temperatures - Scalding or freezing, 3 Was very noisy street outside, 4 No tea/coffee/refreshments, 5 No toilet paper, 6 Issues with door entry, 7 No lift, 8 Dirty hallway, 9 Electrical cables hanging from ceiling/holes in wall, 10 No breakfast, this had been included. I have since contacted SO and they have offered to recompensate for this. These issues were at Assaha appartment flats but booked SO Paddington and would always expect if no rooms to be transferred to a proper like for like hotel. I did request compensation and was offered a discounted rate for a room in June but i'm not going to be back in London and after this disaster and SO Paddingtons inability to look after their customers why would i want to return to this hotel? Please avoid. I've stayed at 100's of hotels and this is the first time i've ever complained.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Gary H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Campbelltown, Australia
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Great location, situated near Paddington Station in Norfolk Square. Close to Hyde Park and a bus stop for the Hop On, Hop Off route. Breakfast basic - toast and cereal or a yoghurt. Bedroom small, bed a little lumpy, but clean room and bedding. This is all about location!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Helen B
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My boyfriend and I had booked a room to stay in at So Paddington for one night. We'd booked the hotel on Laterooms and when we arrived were told that all the rooms were already fully booked (due to a system error?) so we were moved to their other in Kilburn which I was slightly skeptical about given the reputation of the area.
When we got to the hotel the receptionist was welcoming and polite and we were given a lovely room complete with a bedroom, a bathroom and living room.
However our joy was short lived within minutes. When my boyfriend tried turning on the light in the hallway the bulb "broke" and shards of glass broke into shards over him. Thankfully housekeeping was very prompt in coming to replace the bulb and clean the remaining pieces of broken glass on the floor. The bed was comfortable but there was a hard stain on our sheets - the consistency of wax - and in the morning in the shower we found that the water was hot for about 10 seconds before going lukewarm and eventually cold after around 5 minutes and the view wasn't anything to celebrate (a pub garden next to train tracks).
During the stay I tried to look at the bright side, despite the aforementioned, our night was bearable and we had a wonderful stay in London which discounted any problems with the hotel.
Saying that, I definitely wouldn't recommend So Paddington to a friend unless they were absolutely desperate for a room.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda A
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed in So paddington hotel for five nights. We got a nice, clean room. (actually got to choose between two different rooms) The staff was great - especially Francis I think his name was. He helped us a lot. The breakfast could have been a little bit better - other than that we were really pleased. We are definitely coming back to this hotel and I am going to recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Patricia H H
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Me and boyfriend stayed for one night at SO Paddington. I chose it for the location and for it's cheapness. I suppose the price should have been an indication of the quality to be expected.
The staff were pleasant enough though, so no complaints there. We were situated in a double room on the top floor. The ceiling, curtains and walls had dirty marks. The bed was awful, very hard with springs that must have been broken. In the bathroom the cold water tap ran warm.
The worst came in the morning when we were awoken from the sound of what would seem to be all the water pipes in the building running through our bathroom. The noise went on for quite a while as obviously other guests were using the showers in their rooms. Needless to say we made sure we made a swift exit after that. I wanted a cheap place to stay but I'll be looking elsewhere next time.

• Stayed March 2012