“Central and perfect for my needs”
Review of Americana Hotel

Americana Hotel
Ranked #706 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Now that I have moved out of London I needed a base for the occasions when I have to stay over in London. I think the Americana is going to be the perfectly placed for me as I will be able to walk to Lords for the cricket or take a short cab ride to a theatre, galley or any of the museums that I want to visit.

The beds are comfortable and although my room was on the small side it was prefect for my needs. There was no tray in the room but this was amply compensated for by the free coffee service in the lounge and the fresh ground espresso was a step up on the instant that hotels leave in their bedrooms. The rooms were clean and tidy and I much appreciated the huge bath sheets that are provided instead of the normal bath towel. It was a pity that it was let down by the staining on the carpet that smelt as though it had been recently cleaned and the poor state of the laminate on the bedroom door.

The breakfast buffet had a good selection and the lady who takes charge there made me feel most welcome. The staff at the reception were most helpful and nothing was too much for them. They were able to give me good directions and even checked the rail time table to help me on my way home. I found all the staff there to be service minded and from my experience that is a rare thing these days.

I will certainly be staying again and can recommend this small gem.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank BusterGray30
There are newer reviews for Americana Hotel

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We had a bit of travel fiasco on the morning of our trip, so the Americana Hotel was booked last-minute. Yes, we had a roof over our heads, but it was definitely less than our expectations. I'm not sure the carpet throughout the hotel has ever been cleaned. The laminate is peeling off every door I saw. "Making the bed" consisted of pulling the duvet cover up toward the head of the bed; we know this because we found my boyfriend's t-shirt folded up in the bed when we got home that night. The bathroom seemed clean when we arrived, but given the otherwise little attention paid to the rest of the room, we're not sure it was actually cleaned while we were there. I understand "it's London" and rooms are going to be small, but we didn't even have the room to put our suitcases and open cabinet doors and navigate around the bed - it was one or the other. The safe in the room was broken, and instead of trying to fix it, the manager at the desk preferred to just change our room. In fact, the desk staff was less than helpful throughout our stay. Only one of them is a native English speaker (in the home of the English language), and communication is definitely not their forte. The hotel does offer a nice breakfast, but that is pretty much the only positive thing I have to say about this place. Do yourself a favor - pay a little more and stay at a more acceptable hotel with better standards of cleanliness and better attitudes by the staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Red2014
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed here as the usual venues were full and there is a limited budget for expenses. Rather tired and shabby room but clean and comfortable bed and en suite. Breakfast fine and for central London a bargain. Staff were also very friendly

Room Tip: Had a room at the back on the ground floor which was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jo M
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed here with my sister for a three day trip to Lindon. The staff were very helpful and although the hotel was sdmall by usual standards it was clean and tidy. Great location close to baker street and very resonabnly priced.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank justliketetris
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Due to train problems my wife and I were stranded in london overnight. Cabbie sent us to this hotel. Despite the late hour,0030 reception was manned and we were made very welcome. We had a basement room, small but adequate,and a very fine ensuite, and we could not fault it .The bed clean white bedding and very comfortable . At breakfast ,continental,. but plentiful food. Tea, coffee and chocolate were available all day plus some pastries. The staff were extremely helpful.The gentleman on reception,the owner i believe, was particularly helpful, and assisted my wife to make an international phone call at about 1am in the morning. Altogether we had a pleasant short stay and would not hesitate to stay there again

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple