See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 August 2018 via mobile

I booked based on the location and was really pleasantly surprised!! They provided nice shampoo & conditioner & body lotion, the shower water pressure was strong, the bed was comfy and the staff were super friendly and very attentive! I would definitely go back.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2018

I didn't listen to the reviews and focused instead on the cheap price and location. Well, I got what I paid for, the room was sweltering despite it being chilly outside (so I can only imagine what it is like when its hot). The "air conditioner" a bulky unit that was a serious fire hazard as it got hot after I had shut it off!! It was blow cold air for about two minutes and then make a loud banging noise and then blow only hot air.The tube coming from the unit through the cracked window made it impossible to open the window. Yes the room was a little shabby but what I couldn't understand was the scrimping on amenities that wouldn't have cost them anything. Why must we share one spoon to stir our tea? Why can't there be conditioner with the hair products? Location was amazing but there were other hotels which I enviously looked at. Beds were hard as a rock and same with the pillows.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Amy P
Reviewed 12 August 2018

The room was very unclean, dirty and unhygienic. We got bitten by some unknown bugs.... The carpet had bad stains on it. Dirt in the corners of the rooms. There were stains on the walls. Room smelt musty. The bathroom was dirty. There was an exposed cut electric wire hanging down the wall. We were there for two nights. We put the sign out for the room to be cleaned. They never cleaned the room. No toilet paper was put out for us. They did not wash or replace the cups. They did not replace the tea, milk or sugar. The rooms are nothing like in the pictures they put on the website. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Was an unpleasant stay. We have traveled and stayed in many hotels and this was the worst we had ever stayed in. When first walk into the reception it appeArs clean and tidy. But once you walk through to the area of the rooms it is dirty and very rundown. Do not stay at this hotel.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2018

The room was terrible very shabby and bathroom was not clean with hairs on the tiles. The room did not have air conditioning. In addition the TV was on the blink with lots of channels fuzzy due to lack of reception.
Will not recommend for future stays.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Louise G
Reviewed 25 July 2018

I recently stayed at the Gainsborough Hotel during a London heat wave. The Gainsborough states on their website that not all rooms would have A/C, so I was prepared for the worst, but hoping that I would have one of the rooms with A/C. Luckily, I was. The room had a portable A/C that was already turned on when I arrived, so my first impression was thrilled! The hotel itself is in a great location, right around the corner from the V&A and Natural History museums, so that was a big plus for me. The facilities are a bit shabby, as it is an old London building that has not been modernized, so the bathroom showed some signs of age and decrepitude. It was fine for me, as I am able to rough it if necessary. But for many people, especially Americans who are used to higher standards, this place would probably be a slight disappointment. The hotel staff was accommodating - for example, on the second day the exhaust hose fell off the AC unit and caused the room to feel like it was heated because hot air was blowing in from the back of the unit. The staff sent someone up right away, although he was unable to fix it because he didn't have duct tape to reattach the make-shift exhaust hose. However, he was able to get me a fan right away and luckily the weather had cooled down by then so I was satisfied. I'm sure many other people would have been really upset and not as easily placated as I was. All in all, the location is what makes this place a fairly good deal. South Kensington is close to many museums, as well as Kensington Palace, Notting Hill, and the nearby tube station that can get you anywhere you want to go in London. But as far as comforts and amenities, it is just average. Oh, one last thing - the pillows were awful, cheap, and uncomfortable.

Room Tip: If you want A/C, make sure you ask it your room will have it, as not all of them do.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo