“Not the venue to celebrate our success!”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
Ranked #349 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We booked 10 'rooms' at this hotel for some of our team who were attending the Sunday Times Top 100 best small companies to work for. We had hoped that it would be a special night to remember, the hotel was certainly one to remember but for all the wrong reasons. Firstly check in for 10 people took over 45 minutes. We were directed to one member of staff who carried on taking telephone calls whilst checking us in despite other members of staff being available. We had booked the hotel off a rate advertised on their website only to be told this was incorrect. 10 rooms at over £200 per room was a very unpleasant start to our celebration. This would have been acceptable if the rooms had been of an adequate size, the public areas clean and the water in the showers warm. We had a competition to see who had the smallest room, the darkest room, the smallest bathroom etc. Lots of winners. We really wanted to treat our team and felt thoroughly let down. The only highlight to our stay was the lady who served us early drinks in the bar, she was the only bright light in what is a dismal and overpriced hotel. Despite all this we had a great night and can now laugh about our misfortune of booking this hotel and sleeping in shoe boxes.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt Hotel.

I am naturally very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay, please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused and that it didnt dampen your celebrations. I assure you this isolated incident and is definitely not an example of the level of service we pride ourselves on providing for our guests.

I kindly ask you to contact me directly so we can discuss this further and I can investigate the issues further. I can be contacted from Monday to Friday via the reception.
I do hope to hear from you.
Warm Regards,

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Ideal location, very close to Glouscester Road tube station and comfortable stroll to Royal Albert Hall, National History Musume and a little further stroll to Knightsbridge. On Picadilly line which is convenient to Heathrow - get off at Earls Court and taxi to hotel if carrying heavy cases as there is no lift in Glouscester Road tube station. Room very comfortable, slightly small but lovely and warm and very neat and clean. Service throughout hotel is very good. will return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the feedback that you provided regarding your stay with us at Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt hotel.

I am ever so pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit to London and that you made full use of extremely convenient location with the tube being only a 3minute walk from the Gloucester Road tube station.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I travel very frequently both for business and pleasure and stay in several hotels. This one was the WORST hotel I have stayed. I booked a standard room as the website of the hotel did not give me any other options. The room was extremely small; so small that the door was opened on the bed. I felt really bad in that room. Apart from the very English decor which I hated but I could leave with if everything else was OK, the hotel desperately needs a renovation. Everything is old, the floor feels like a roller coaster, the carpet in the room was falling apart, there was a big hole under the door under which you could fit a cat (we had to put a cushion as we felt very uncomfortable watching shoes passing by), in order to get to the room we had to walk for several minutes in very narrow corridors and open 6 doors, the lift was very busy and had to wait at least 5 minutes to get in, the window did not close properly, etc etc. Even though I am usually cold in hotel rooms and the first thing I do is to swich the heating on, this room was extremely hot with the heating off! I spent as little time as possible in the hotel as I hated every minute in there. If I did not prepay all three nights, I would have walked out on the same day. The only nice thing about it is the fact that the room was facing east and it was a beautiful sunny weekend in London, which means that we were awaken every morning by the sun coming through the window.

Room Tip: Room facing east, king size not standard unless you like living in a cage.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vanessa057

Dear Guest,

May I thank you for staying with us at Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt Hotel.

We apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations. Thank you for your review and we will use your remarks to fine tune operations for future guests.

The Vanderbilt Hotel is a grade II listed building and contains many traditional features that we strive to preserve. After reading your review I concluded that you might be interested in other Radisson Edwardian properties which represent very modern décor of their interiors.

If there is anything else I can be of assistance with please don’t hesitate to contact me directly via the hotel reception.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 February 2012

What can I say? I have a Gold level loyalty card with Radisson, which normally means an upgrade, a complimentary something or other. I stayed in the smallest room I have ever witnessed. It was hot and stuffy and quite dirty. the next curtains looked as though they hadn't been washed for a couple of years. the bed was tiny, and the whole room was smaller than my bathroom at home. I'm not sure where they got the pictures from on the website, but this is well below Radisson standards. The only reason this got 2 stars was that the staff were quite friendly, and the location was good.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with us.

It is disappointing to see that you were not satisfied with our hotel. At Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt we serve every guest with a "Yes I Can!" spirit and when a guest has a poor experience we do everything possible to Make it Right. I hope that you will consider our property again, and allow us an opportunity to serve you in the future. Upon your next visit, I would recommend bringing any issues to the attention of the Management Team prior to your departure, in order for us to ensure a wondeful experience.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies. If there is anything else I can help with please don’t hesitate to contact me directly via the hotel reception.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We arrived into Heathrow, jumped on the tube and were able to walk to the hotel from Gloucester road tube station. We arrived at the start of January - the foyer was warm and inviting with a big fire, the staff also were very welcoming and offered us an upgrade to a king suite on our second night. We were checked in immediately, and asked if we wanted still or sparkling water in the room. The hotel has a bar and does food etc.

The room we booked was small, which we expected for London. The adventure was getting from the foyer to the room which involved wandering down corridors and through doors and up and down until we finally got there. It's a bit of a rabbit warren.

The second night we had a bit more room, the staff had moved our bags to the suite to which we were upgraded for free. Check out was quick and efficient. This hotel is great for getting about by tube or to the Natural History Museum, Kensington shops.

Room Tip: If you go at a quiet time, ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Smaryj
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us on Tripadvisor.

I am ever so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Here at The Vanderbilt Hotel we do our up most to delight all of guests so that they have the memorable experience they expect when visiting any hotel, and I must say there is nothing more motivating then reading positive feedback such as this.

I hope on your return visits to London we have the pleasure of welcoming you once again to stay with us.

Kind regards,