New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel The Caesar

Hotel The Caesar
Ranked #302 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Toronto
“Decent hotel in Bayswater”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I stayed here for business for one night, in a single room. The room was small but not cramped, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was not great - the showerhead was shoddy and the drain was slow, I was up to my calves in water by the time I finished my shower. I informed reception of the drain upon checkout and was told that they are in the process of refurbishing all the bathrooms in the hotel and that the one in my room (#227) had not been done yet. Also, I was awoken before 8 am by construction noise; had I been staying another night I would've requested to be put in a room further from the work being done. I paid 110£ for the night, which was a fair price for the neighbourhood, especially in London.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DKG80
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for your review, we do value your feedback.

I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay and found it value for money. I am sorry that you encounted a problem with the shower, the fact that we are upgrading our bathrooms is no excuse for the drainage to be poor in those still to be refurbished. This issue will be addressed with our Housekeeping department.
I also apologise that you were disturbed at 8am, we are currently until June this year also upgrading our lifts. It is with regret that some disturbance may be experienced but the long term benefit will be new lifts in the Hotel for all future guests.

I hope that we can welcome you again in the future.

Lee Melville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stay here quite often on business I can honestly say that for London, this is a great hotel. The rooms may not be the biggest but they are clean, the beds are comfortable and the staff friendly and inviting.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank StephenpIreland
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do pride ourselves on our staff and service, so it is rewarding when this is recongnised.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Riga, Latvia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

There were four specific areas that made me feel disgusted by this hotel:

1. Cleanliness of the bathroom.
When I checked in I discovered that the bathroom had not been cleaned following the previous guest's departure. There were empty and half-empty bottles of shampoo and shower gel in the shower cabin. These items were in plain sight so whoever was meant to clean the bathroom following a guest's departure obviously did not do it.

The spilled shampoo had caked over and become quite dry so it had probably been there for a relatively long time.

2. Size of the shower cabin.
As one of the images illustrates, the shower cabin in Room #209 was exactly two feet across in size. It is not exactly impossible to wash oneself in such a small space but it is extremely uncomfortable.

3. Broken window.
The window in my room had a gap between the actual pane and the frame which provided for a constant supply of cold air and outside noise. As shown in the accompanying image, the gap was large enough to insert a finger in it - and that is with the window shut as tight as it would go.

4. Internet connection speed.
The Caesar offers its guests 1 hour of free wireless internet access every 24 hours. Additional access time can be purchased at GBP 7.95 for 24 hours. Unfortunately, the only time I experienced connection speeds of up to 2Mb/s were around 3:30AM one night when I was awakened by a strengthening draught coming from the broken window. At all other times I ended up with the connection speed shown in one of the accompanying images. This is actually slower than the dial-up service I used to use in 1998. For avoidance of doubt, I ran all connection speed tests on the hotel's paid service - so find it to be in rather bad taste that they call their network Hotel Broadband.

To summarize, the service provided was at a level one could expect from a Third World country hostel. The price charged, however, was just over GBP 125 / night (including breakfast and taxes) which was clearly not commensurate with the quality of the experience.

The corporate travel department that put me in this hotel has been informed of my experience and has been requested to stop sending people to The Caesar. As a service to the community, I am also submitting this review on TripAdvisor and hope that it will help potential guests avoid making the mistake of staying at this inadequate, overpriced facility.

This review applies strictly to the stay at Room #209 between March 19 and 23, 2012. Guests staying at other rooms and / or a different time may have experienced The Caesar differently.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. If you like the area, try the following hotel: Radisson Edwardian Sussex 19-25...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank KStrazdins
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for your review. I am very concerned to learn of your experience which is far from our normal standard and general reviews on this site.

An investigation is now under way to ascertain why you were checked into a un-serviced bedroom. This is far from acceptable and I offer my apologies.

We are now over 50% complete in a bathroom refurbishment programme, where we are addressing and removing the old style shower cubicle.

The Window issue will be looked at immediately.

We receive few issues or complaints with our wifi system which is provided by a third party called "Hotel Broadband" As of the 29th March 2012, we will also undertake a major upgrade to our system with the latest systems. We understand how important this service is to our guests. This upgrade will improve speed.

I am sorry that we have let you down on this occasion and as such I will make direct contact with this reviewer in order to restore confidence in our Hotel.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

5-10 mins walk to queensway Underground. The room I stayed is big and good mattress provided quality sleep. I had Tasty pastry from the hotel restaural. Yet, I think the hotel is under renovation partly, therefore the corridor is not so appealing.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Thank you for your review, we vlaue your feedback and I am pleased you enjoyd your stay and slept well. As detailed in other responses not all rooms are what some perceive as small.

It is true we are currently upgrading our lifts and shortly our corridors in the Hotel, but this should cause very little interferance to your stay.

I hope we cal welcome you back again soon.

Geelong, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

After 24 hours of travel, my first night of a 3 month trip, I was looking forward to a good nights sleep in the most expensive hotel of the trip. I did get a good sleep but I was shocked at how small the room was. The young lady at reception seemed to be new but she was very helpful. The male was dismissive of me but when 2 European ladies arrived he was very attentive to them so maybe that is their main market. The bathroom, tiny, had a bath but the loss was the ability to get to the toilet comfortably.

The location was fabulous, I had a room over the street which was very quiet and beautiful to look at. The bed was very good and the place clean and tidy - just small.

As this was my first London experience the room maybe the usual size but I was very disappointed as I paid AU208. However the place was near the station and had a lift that 2 people could get into with cases. I have mixed feelings about this place due to the size of the room.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank aussiesue102
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you slept well. Travellers from other parts of the world are often suprised at the size of London Hotel bedrooms. we do have a varity of room sizes as not one room is the same here.

I hope that should you pass by London again we would have the pleasure of welcoming you back.