“Good quality, central hotel”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel
Ranked #384 of 1,088 Hotels in London
shrewsbury, england
“Good quality, central hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

A well-placed hotel close to the British Museum with excellent reception staff who ensured I knew about my room and the services. They provide a very good breakfast with a full range of continental or full English.
The rooms are comfortable and the furniture is of good hotel quality. Ideal location when on business in London.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank bayston
Hasnain-N-Alloo, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear Guest,

The team and I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experiences on Trip Advisor. You are spot on with our Location, the Kenilworth is nestled right in the heart of London's West End. Breakfast in-bed is one of the many highlights that we offer to our valued guests.

Your kind compliments on our team are very much appreciated, and we look forward to meeting you again soon.

Hasnain N Alloo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

It was a terrible stay for me, I am now typing this on my 4th night, with 6 more nights to go. I booked the single room which costs me about 150 pounds per night and unfortunately, the room is so tiny. I have always visited Hong Kong hotels where they have tiny rooms, but this is smaller than the hotels there. I requested for an upgrade on 2nd day and the staff said I'll have to pay 60 pounds for a room upgrade. I asked if I could cancel the booking but he said I'll have to check with my booking agent while he'll get back to me after checking with his management if there are any lower upgrade options. Two days past and I didn't have any message. So I went to check an update and the 2nd staff offered me an upgrade with 80 pounds so I turned it down immediately. The elevator makes you age quicker, it was so slow, waiting for a lift to get down to lobby from 4th floor probably takes at least 5 minutes. The TV controls are insensitive and difficult to navigate and you probably waste time and effort trying to click at the option you want that I'd rather give it up totally. The walls are thin, I could hear the next door's guest speaking when I was sitting at the workdesk. The tiny single room is probably alright if you are staying for one or two nights. I will remember this experience and will never book this hotel again especially for the price I pay.

Room Tip: Do not book single room - unless rate is good and for short stay.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CSRace
Broseley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We booked the Kenilworth as a 3 night break over half term, chiefly because we had to cancel a honeymoon abroad as my wife is awaiting surgery and couldn’t fly. Booked it as a secret hotel through lastminute.com and we paid £130 per night. I emailed prior to arriving to see if they could do anything to make our replacement honeymoon special and on arrival we were upgraded to a King room, strawberries and wine on ice were in our room. This was a really nice touch and a fine start to our stay.

The service at this hotel was excellent throughout; the lady who checked us in on arrival (Kate) was particularly welcoming. The room we were given was also of a very high standard; we had a lovely bay window with views onto the street parallel to the hotel. The bathroom, whilst cramped, made the best use of space and the toiletries were plentiful. We had a turn-down service when we returned from shopping on Oxford street on the first night.

Having free wifi was nice, and the location of the Kenilworth is superb – literally a hundred metres from the entrance gates to the British Museum, and a 4 minute walk from Tottenham Court Road tube (use Exit 3, walk past the Dominion theatre, Café Rouge and turn right). The heart of the West End, Soho, Oxford Street, Covent Garden, and Piccadilly Circus are reachable within a 10 minute stroll. We didn’t eat in the restaurant, nor did we have breakfast – I still cannot comprehend how any hotel can charge £20 per head for breakfast. Over 3 days, this would have amounted to £120 additionally…for breakfast. Fortunately, the Garfunkels by Tottenham Court Road did 2 breakfasts for £10.

Whilst there is a lot going for this hotel, and overall we were satisfied with our stay, we did have a bad experience every morning (not so much on our final night) that prevents me from writing a ‘glowing’ review. The room doors are incredibly heavy and you really have to give them a good pull to close them…the other method is to open the door as far as possible and let it swing shut with an almighty bang. This is what happened on every door on our corridor as the housekeeping team started cleaning at 7:30am on our first two mornings (the cleaning trolley wheels were followed by a knock and “housekeeping” on each door in turn, before opening the door, banging the wall with the trolley and then letting each door slam).

Now, I prefer to wake up by myself or with a planned alarm – not by the walls of the room shuddering on the systematic closing of every door. After our second night, I reported this to a member of the housekeeping team, and also to the front desk. Kim on reception was understanding and apologetic; gave us a new room on the second floor, further from the lifts and internal corridor doors which was much better on our final night and morning. However, whilst service and the standard of the room were good, the quality of a night’s sleep is absolutely poignant to how you come away feeling from any hotel. Unfortunately, the events on the first two mornings dented our overall experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hasnain-N-Alloo, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Radisson Kenilworth Hotel and even more for taking time to share your kind feedback.

Your constructive comment about 'slamming door' is greatly appreciated and I understand the inconvenience this has brought to you. Our Executive Housekeeper and her team along with the Chief Engineer are proactively taking steps to avoid its re-occurrence.

I trust you will consider this incident as a one off and not an impression of the service we endeavour to offer our guests.

Prior to your next visit please contact me directly so that I can personally ensure that you are well looked after.

newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

This Hotel is in a great location, and the reception areas are stunning and the staff are very freindly.Then there are the rooms!! They are tiny to say the least,the double bed in the room was more like a 3/4 than a double.In the end i had to pay a £50 per night upgrade to a King size room just to get a decent sized bed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Hasnain-N-Alloo, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking time to share your kind feedback.

I take this opportunity to clarify that our standard rooms are at par with most London hotels. Hence, we offer our guests the option to take an upgrade for a modest surcharge. However, I am very pleased to pass your compliments to my team as they surely enjoy taking care of every guest in our hotel. I hope you would agree that it is this very quality that this is rare to find in most hotels today!

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

The hotel is pretty much what you expect for a Radisson Edwardian. Dark rich coloured decor, and nice bar. Convenient location, very close to the subway, and within a reasonable walking distance to the Covent Garden area.

The receptionists appear to fire off lots of quick questions whenever you talk to them which isn't very relaxing - they need to find a way of getting all of the information into a more conversational form.

The lift in the lobby is very slow and very tempermental, as well as quite tiny. There is another just around the corner near the business services, which is much quicker, and better behaved!

The rooms were nice, clean, but a little cramped- standard London room size really. The window blinds do not cover the windows at the sides, so be prepared for a light room.

The breakfast was very good- lots of variety, and all food was prepared well, and fresh - no greasy sausages in oil unlike a lot of buffet breakfasts. I paid £140 for a double standard room, with 2 breakfasts for one Saturday night - given some of the hotels in London I thought this was good value.

Staff were very attentive and friendly.

Room Tip: If they don't fix the lift, go for a room on the lower floor! The lift only fits 4 people (6 at...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Helena-Mae
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your candid and detailed comments about the Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel.

I duly confirm the receipt of all the constructive comments you have highlighted and would like to assure you that these are being worked upon. To give you an example, effective 20th February we are installing 2 new lifts which will ensure that our guests are comfortably escorted to the rooms.

Today, we have also competed a soft refurbishment of our hotel rooms by installing Plasma Screen TV’s, fresh furnishings, etc to free up more space in our rooms.

I trust you will allow us to welcome you back in our hotel again and show you how your comments have allowed us to improve as a team.