“Decent, convenient place to stay”

Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands
Ranked #542 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed here for 1 week while visiting London with my boyfriend. We picked this hotel for the price as it was much more reasonable than staying in central London. It seemed like a nice area and it took less than 5 minutes to walk to the underground stop for the Jubilee line and the DLR. It took about 15-20 minutes on the Jubilee line to get into central London which was no problem.

The hotel itself was clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. The continental breakfast was perfect for us, and they had a bar open until 2am if we fancied a drink at night instead of going out to central London. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was just a few minor things which would make us re-consider staying at this hotel again.

1. We had difficulty flushing the toilet, sometimes it would flush instantly other times you had to push the handle about 15 times to get it to flush, quite annoying. 2. The wifi was quite expensive, 12 pounds for 24 hours. 3. Even to make a local phone call I had to put a 10 pound deposit down and even then I was still unable to make outside phone calls and nothing was done to fix the problem. 4. We got woken up at 6am the day we left with a wake-up call intended for the room next door. 5. It did get a bit noisy in the mornings as you could hear everything going on in the hallway, annoying when we were trying to sleep in. There was some type of school group of teenagers there over the weekend and they were really loud.

I would stay in this hotel again but it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
SHAUN F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Parakeet701,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of the hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay overall. I am sorry the toilet gave you a bit of a problem; I am not sure if you report the problem during your stay as we would have definitely repaired or replaced the toilet for you during your stay. I’m also sorry about the group of young teenagers who bothered you with noise. We will certainly look at trying to set the ground rules better with any future groups with young teenagers as the majority of the party.

I’m glad you took the time to express your thoughts about the hotel and they are gratefully appreciated as they help us to improve.

The team and I really look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

On a recent trip to London, my daughter and I stayed at the LRD Holiday Inn for two days. We found it to be very convenient as far as train travel into London was concerned as the Jubilee Line runs from the local station which is only 5minutes walk from the hotel. The road is well lit and there is a broad pavement on either side of the road. We felt very safe walking along the road both during the day and night.
The hotel reception was warm and friendly. The receptionist dealt quickly and effectively with our arrival. Our room was bright and cheery and we were impressed with the cleanliness. The bed was marvellous and we had a very good sleep after a hard day's shopping. Breakfast was plentiful and the staff helpful and courteous. Everything was provided in abundance and was piping hot even though we were not among the early breakfasters.
My only recommendation to this hotel would be that they take hotel security a little more seriously. We arrived back at the hotel past 1am in the morning and sailed past the reception without anyone enquiring as to whether we were staying at the hotel or not. Hopefully we don't look suspicious or 'illegal', but I would like to think that whomever I bump into in the hotel passageways was there with the hotel's knowledge.
Notwithstanding this, we had a lovely stay and were very pleased with our choice of hotels. I would recommend this hotel to everyone without hesitation. Thank you to all the staff for your hard work and friendly smiles.

Room Tip: If you need to reach the hotel after a late theatre show in town, the DLR still runs trains until th...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Dear Dealspotters,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of the hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and we will have another look at our security checking procedure. However we do like to have a light touch where guest entering and leaving the building is concerned.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights for business in Jan 12.
Whilst Silvertown is not the most desirable area of London, the area has changed significantly in the lead up to the Olympics. A short walk from both bus station and Underground/DLR rail connections into centrl london, it presents an opportunity for lower cost accomodation within 20 mins of OXford Street.

The rooms are HIEX standar and are clean and well kept.
The staff are very welcoming and hospitable and go out of their way to help
Breakfast- OK

perfect for business trips and budget travellers

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank camster66
SHAUN F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear Camster66,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your kind review of your stay at the Hotel.

It was good of you to comment on the Regeneration to the area, primarily due to the Olympics.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel and we look forward to your returning to stay with us.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Being treated by my daughters to a weekend in London to shop and watch a show, they picked a perfect hotel to make the whole weekend very successful. The staff were kind, efficient and very friendly and the hotel was everything it should be to make you comfortable and relaxed. Indeed, observing the relationship between the staff and the manager it was obvious why the hotel was a pleasure to stay at, they were friendly with him but he was definitely managing them and they were aware of his authority and his wish to ensure every guest was well looked after.

Room Tip: 4th floor was comfortable and quiet
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
SHAUN F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Dear Corinne B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a wonderful review of your stay here at the HIEX Royal Docklands Hotel. We really do value your comments as they show us how we are really doing and help us to improve where necessary.
We do print all our guest reviews so the team here will love reading your comments.
I’m glad you had a really great weekend and I hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

A decent budget hotel. Service fine, rooms well appointed and very clean, could do with heavier curtains. Breakfast was ok but the bar was a little dull. The walk from the tube is short but feels unpleasant in the dark, wouldn't be much fun with heavy luggage either.

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear euchrid1978,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us review of your stay here at the HIEX Royal Docklands Hotel. We really do value your comments as they show us how we are really doing and help us to improve where necessary.

I am glad that you were basically happy with the Hotel but a little surprised by the comment regarding the walk from the Tube station. The reason for my surprise is that it is just about 400 – 500 meters from the tube up a straight and well lit road. The road and the paths have been recently rebuilt which include the path and lighting all being completely replaced by the council as it is a main thoroughfare to the Olympic park. There is still a bit of work being done but I feel it is probably one of the easiest walks from a station to a Hotel in London.

I hope the walk for the station doesn’t prevent you from choosing to stay with us again upon your next visit to London.