New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #63 of 1,078 Hotels in London
London
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

The hotel is located some 5 min walk from Oxford Street, in the middle of Mayfair and has a very somptuous feel as soon as you step in. A bar to the right, which can also be accessed from the street and seems to be busy with suits up to 8pm and then a more relaxed crowd up to the early hours.

The elevator located on the left took me to my large suite with a hallway leading to a well equipped bathroom and to the main room were the bed was located. The room was very large with a massive bed and all the little things one would expected from such a great hotel. As usual, I was mainly interested in having a good night sleep and the bed, the sheets, all made me sleep very deep. The breakfast was varied and satisfied all my tastes, but again this wasn't the first time staying in a Claridge hotel, so I knew I can expect only the best.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank TERRAvelista
Claridges_London, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear “Londontravellista”

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Claridge’s and I was pleased to note that it was not your first. There are many components of an enjoyable stay at a hotel but I feel that one of the most important is a good night’s sleep and I am delighted that our beds and linen made that possible for you and also that you were able to start your day the following morning with an enjoyable breakfast.

Thomas Kochs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Hook
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

You are lucky, if you get a grunt out of the doorman, staff at reception rather unfriendly and the most incompetent concierge I have ever come across. I stayed her for a couple of days while my place in Chelsea was being redecorated. The marble step in the bathroom was loose and sent me flying, the room safe broke down, peeling paint and stained carpets throughout the hotel. Ramsey´s food atrocious, but I didn´t really expect anything else. On a positive note, beautiful Art Deco lobby, but then that is not surprising, as it has been totally renovated not long ago. It may be the oldest 5 star hotel in London and it still is the oldest in more ways than one. Certainly does not deserve the 5th star anymore though.Should you require a decent luxury hotel in London, then go elsewhere. Never again and would certainly not recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank CorpoHook
ClaridgeSLondon, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear “CorpoHook”,

I was very sorry to read that your experience was not of the high standard that you quite rightly expected when staying at Claridge’s. I can clearly see that we have upset you and I would very much like to apologise for this. Customer service is of immense importance to us. We work relentlessly to deliver exceptional service but it is obvious that we failed to do so during your stay. Staff training is one of our highest priorities as I believe that the team and the interaction we have with our guests makes a significant difference when experiencing a hotel.

You mentioned faults in your room and I hope that you will give me the opportunity to correspond with you in more detail away from this forum. You can contact me direct on tkochs@claridges.co.uk.

I hope you will be prepared to enter into a dialogue with me but, in the meantime, I sincerely, apologise for your experience. I look forward to hearing from you.

Inverness Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and i stay in this wonderful Hotel at least twice a year and often more as our daughter and grand-daughter live in London and we visit them as often as we can given that we ourselves own an Hotel in Scotland.

We have stayed almost every Xmas for the last 10 + years. The service, welcome and superb standards are second to none and it is great to see the staff continuity that is apparent to regular guests.

There are of course many other Hotels in London but there is one that stands out from the rest and this is it.

We would not stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: We have never been disappointed although normally request the same one when available
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear “Mr. GCGM-Inverness”,

I was very pleased to learn how much you and your wife enjoyed your stay at Claridge’s and I thank you for your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come.

With all good wishes,

Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Last year it was my first stay at at Claridge's. Usually I prefer to stay in Knightsbridge area, but I was so happy with the hotel on my previous visit, this time again I decided to stay at Claridge's. Unfortunately it wasn't that great this time.
My book and 3 booklets of business presentation files, which I've left at reception to be sent to my room, were lost for 2 days. Thank god, presentations were found after 2 days, while I was checking out. But my book with some personal notes in it was lost. And the way they approached the problem was not satisfying at all. I think they have enough customers that's why they don't care really about customer satisfaction, feelings and opinion. They see the problem only as a book, which they can replace. The inconvenience they have created for the days wasn't that important for them.
My other comments, the room was quite old, in the bathroom, the flush tank didn’t work well…And heating system was not working well....
And lastly, I had two mornings the same breakfast, but they charged differently(20% difference for the same food), unfortunately I noticed in invoice that when I was checking out....
But other than these, location is good, clientele is good, spa is good....
I will try once more, and give my last decision after that visit…

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear “Mr. Ebrudi”,

I remain concerned at the incident regarding the items you left at Reception for delivery to your room and for the understandable and regrettable disappointment and inconvenience this caused you. As you know, the team were in contact with you about this during your stay, however, I agree that the situation you experienced is unacceptable. I have addressed this with all the team and our internal procedures will be reassessed to prevent this happening again. I was especially concerned that you felt we did not care and I would like to assure you that this was certainly not the case.

We know that your final decision on Claridge’s rests on your third visit . We look forward to restoring your confidence – without exception – during that stay and if you have time I would very much like to meet you personally.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

My boyfriend and I spent an absolutely wonderful night at Claridges. I had wanted to visit the hotel for some time and it was everything that I expected it to be, and more. The staff we really welcoming on arrival and throughout our stay. We stayed in one of the Linley rooms and it was beautifully new and modern and there were lots of lovely little touches like chocolates and fruit in the room. There was so much space, not only in the bedroom but also in the bathroom and walk in wardrobe!

We had a really enjoyable drink in the bar before dinner, there was a nice buzzy atmosphere and the staff made sure that we got a table. I was then lucky enough to have dinner at Gordon Ramsey´s; gorgeous food and excellent service.

An overall really enjoyable experience and I hope to go back very soon!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear “Soph2903”,

Thank you for having the wish to stay at Claridge’s and to your boyfriend for arranging for it to come true. We were very pleased to learn that we not only met – but exceeded – your expectations and we share your hope that we may look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With kind regards,