“An oasis in the middle of London” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Langham, London

The Langham, London
Ranked #48 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Los Angeles
“An oasis in the middle of London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I was lucky enough to stay here recently for a few days and was quite impressed with the amenities, service and rooms. The hotel is located just north of Oxford Circus-----just off Regent Street and was a welcome respite when navigating the thick crowds of Oxford and Regent. It's about a 3 minute walk to the Tube and several bus lines that traverse the city (even going to Heathrow) are nearby.

Check-in was friendly and professional but despite having made a reservation several weeks earlier, my room was not ready at 2:30 pm. I was able to store my luggage and was told that I would receive a call shortly when my room was ready. About 2.5 hours later, tired from traveling, I received the call and headed back. Not sure if I was upgraded to a larger room (Executive?) or if this was my original reservation but the room was bigger than the standard rooms and faced out onto the back (North) of Regent Street so it was quiet. Ample closet and drawer space in the room and a large bathroom (almost as big as some of the rooms in other hotels here). A welcome amenity (fresh fruit and water) was waiting for me and was a nice touch. The bed was quite comfortable and turndown service with slippers and robe was provided each night of my stay (the way a luxury hotel should do it!).

The hotel has a very nice and for London, relatively large health club with 2 elliptical machines, about 4 bikes and 4-6 treadmills in addition to several weight stations and free weights. There was a very nice pool and whirlpool below that I wasn't able to take advantage of. In addition, you have access to the changing rooms (it is part of a Spa) where they have lockers, showers, dry sauna and a steam room. Very well kept and never dirty so I applaud the staff on keeping it clean. Only issue was that since the Spa was in an annexed building, you had to walk through a maze of hallways, stairs and elevators to access it directly from the hotel (the other option was to walk outside and around which was much quicker but harder to do when it's cold outside).

The hotel has 2 restaurants (both pricey) with one of them being part of the Roux family of (as they say) "Michelin-starred" restaurants. Tried dinner at the Roux at the Landau and service was excellent (wait staff was attentive and never pushy or rude). Unfortunately, the food was just so-so and I would not waste my money here again (nothing about the food made me say WOW). Never tried the other (main) restaurant but was told by others staying there that it was similar in price and quality. They have a nice (but small) bar here that was packed most nights of the week. Friendly, professional service and quite comfortable as a place to relax pre or post dinner.

The hotel was always clean and smelled fresh (like Mandarin oranges I believe). Staff was always friendly and acknowledged my presence and I always felt safe and comfortable when walking in here. A lot of hotels in London claim to be "luxury" (see my other reviews) but only the Langham (so far) has actually proved what it means. Definitely looking forward to staying here another time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Wonderful champagne afternoon tea at the Palm Court at the Langham to celebrate Valentines day. Fantastic customer service from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. Our server (Andrew, I think) was informative, polite and delivered excellent customer care.

The sandwiches and scones were wonderful and he even went out of his way to bring us more or the things we particularly liked. I was so glad I didn't eat any lunch beforehand!

The only minor irk was that the desserts, although spectacular to look at, weren't really there to be eaten, more for visual effect (and they were stunning - the table next to us were taking snaps of theirs on their iphone). However, following the sandwiches and the scones, there wasn't really room for them anyway!

The tables were not crammed in, you felt like you had ample space to have a private conversation. The room is beautifully decorated and their is a live pianist, who was very good indeed.

Thanks so much. We will be back!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We had a wonderful stay at this grand hotel. Our room was upgraded through AMEX and the Langham delivered an outsize suite with grace and charm. The hotel has an excellent club that helped with business meetings and a rollicking bar that goes late. Staff were great and we really enjoyed ourselves. You can't really do better.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

On the whole we had a great visit over one week. Our room was large and very quiet, considering the central location.The service in the cocktail bar along with the selection was terrific - we were given complimentary rose champagne whilst waiting for our cocktails

The only real downsides were;
- Concierge knowledge was poor i.e where to watch a 6 nations rugby game; I would expect more from a 5* hotel
- Robes were not replaced as often as they should despite being dirty
- Towels were not replaced daily despite being left in the bath
- Snacks from the minibar were extortionately priced

On the whole though very good

1 Thank Johnno315
langham08, Manager at The Langham, London, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Johnno315,

We value your feedback and appreciate your constructive comments. We hope to welcome you back to The Langham, London in the near future.

With kind regards,
Jane Lyons
Executive Assistant Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I have just spent the most gorgeous weekend at The Langham celebrating my 30th birthday. The hotel was booked as a surprise by my husband and it did not fail to impress. From the minute we arrived we were made to feel so welcome, right from the door staff to any member of staff we passed in the corridor. The room itself was beautiful, immaculately clean and very well thought out. We had the best nights sleep of our lives in a bed that was heavenly. The following morning we sampled the breakfast in the landau restaurant. This was also gorgeous, so much choice and again the staff were amazing. I have the best memories of a fantastic weekend and would recommend this hotel to everybody, its out of this world!!

1 Thank staceyj82