“So very very good!”

Migration Museum at The Workshop
Ranked #695 of 1,839 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Migration Museum at The Workshop is the UK's first museum dedicated to exploring how the movement of people to and from Britain across the ages has shaped who we are as individuals - and as a nation. We have been featured by CNN, the New York Times, Newsweek, BBC, Time Out and more. Visit migrationmuseum.org or find us on Facebook to discover what's on and for more info.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This is a really interesting free museum (donations welcome), with a great atmosphere. The exhibits make you think rather than tell you what to think, which I really appreciated. So many times I thought 'oh, I didn't know that', and I learned a lot. Totally engaging! I understand the museum is moving nearby at some point, so check their website before turning up. Go!!!!

Reviewed 14 March 2018

What a wonderful exhibition! We were fascinated by the information provided and it was displayed in such an engaging way. The different exhibits are laid out really well in a spacious (if a little chilly!) room. We learnt such a lot, both from the official presentations, and visitor's contributions about their own "migration moments". The specific exhibition on display was "No turning back - 7 migration moments that changed Britain". Migration is such a current topic of interest, but from this you remember that it is also a topic that has been pertinent to life in this country for centuries. And we can learn a lot from previous generations' experiences. If you can get a tour led by Emily you will be very lucky! Also, the small shop has some lovely souvenirs and a range of thought provoking resources.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

The Migration Museum ran a FANTASTIC interactive exhibition called the Empathy Walk where you literally walk in someone else's shoes and listen to their story. This is how I heard about/found the Migration Museum, which I had otherwise never heard of. Their exhibition is a little hard to follow thematically but currently includes several key points in Britain's history of migration, including global and personal perspectives, art, archives, artefacts...a small but rich collection of material offered to challenge our ideas about migration, identity, belonging, and so on. I do hope they are able to continue to expand on their work bringing the history, impact, etc of migration to the fore. A very important idea to focus on and curate. Love your work!! Keep it up!

Reviewed 24 February 2018

This exhibition was laid out so well and there was a really good split of text and visuals. And it was a rollercoaster of emotions. One of the best museums i've ever been to in London.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 February 2018

This museum is open from Wednesday to Sunday. I learned about the historical (mis)treatment of the English Jewish community. For example, I did not know that British Jews were forced at one time to wear a yellow star, centuries before the Holocaust. I also was horrified to learn just how racist Eric Clapton was in the section Rock Against Racism. As a mixed raced person myself, I was happy to see a section devoted to mixed race people- it was very positive and will help I think to normalise this growing segment of our population. The exhibition space itself could do with an upgrade: it is extremely cold inside and there is no natural sunlight at all.

1  Thank nuovofirenze