“Authentic”

Price range: US$14 - US$33
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Authentic Philadelphia Food
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

A real slice of Philadelphia in London.

Authentic food, their own gourmet take on Philadelphian classics, served with a healthy side of east coast hospitality and atmosphere.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

This place is the real deal. Amazing food, great atmosphere, fantastic staff. And real American dive bar experience. It doesn’t get any better outside the good ol US of A. Love it.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Great Philly cheesesteak as usually! Fries and wings are also good additions! Extremely happy that they had opened up officially. Great atmosphere as well!

1  Thank jdogg113
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Popped in with a couple mates after work and had a lovely evening. The football was showing in the side room, music was playing and considering the amount of food and drink that we ordered, the bill was more than reasonable. Definitely recommend!

2  Thank ashmarshy
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Born and raised in Philly so I was super excited to try this place out - and what a letdown it was. I was told the rolls would rival Amoroso's. Maybe on a good day they would have a shot but my hoagie roll today was stale, so no chance.

I get there's a cost to 'authenticity', but the prices are outrageous. I could almost swallow the cost of £10 ($14 USD) and £10.50 for a hoagie and cheesesteak respectively. But then I saw we were charged £3.50 for a CAN of Dr. Pepper. The waited overheard me mention it to my friend, and he went on to tell me it was 'imported all the way from Philly.' For real? You can buy a can of Dr. Pepper down the street at any shop for 60p.

If the roll hadn't been stale it might be an average hoagie, but not worth the price. £27.56 ($38) for two hoagies and a can of soda over lunch? I'll just wait until I can get back to Philly.

9  Thank Amanda S
Daniel B, General Manager at Passyunk Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed that you had a bad experience and will make adjustments to improve our operation.

We apologise that you were overcharged for your Dr. Pepper (which is not imported from Philadelphia). If you would kindly email your bank details to hello@passyunk.co.uk, we will send you a refund for the difference.

Regarding the concerns expressed about our rolls, they are made fresh daily in accordance to our custom recipe and delivered to us every morning, so they certainly would not be stale. Perhaps they did not meet your expectations relative to your understanding of an Amoroso roll, but we've done our best to replicate the rolls that we enjoy back home in Philly. Incidentally, our owner who had an Italian hoagie later in the day that you visited, reported that the rolls were very good and fresh.

Our pricing has been set to reflect the effort we have expended to create a very unique food and lifestyle experience here in central London. We believe the value we have created in our brand justifies our price points. Furthermore, we believe it is positioned at a level that customers who value what we do, will be willing to pay. We are sorry you disagree with us on this point.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Regards,