“Ridiculously Delicious!”

Ole & Steen
Ranked #6 of 324 Bakeries in London
Price range: US$3 - US$15
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Description: The Danish Bakery breakfast to supper. Coffee, handmade breads, pastries, cakes, salads, sandwiches, stews, beers and wines. Eat in or take away.
Reviewed 27 November 2017

Spur of the moment, we were 'walking by' when the cakes in the window took my eye. "I bet they taste as good as they look unlike other bakeries that let you down", I said to my husband. Well, I've been doing slimming world all year, and our London trip was in celebration of reaching life level 30, so in the spirit of having a treat, we wandered in (instead of past), and ordered a chocolate brownie each to take away. Sweet heaven, I've never tasted a brownie like it! I'd gladly travel back to London just to buy from here again.
Within 24 hours we had 3 cakes from this place....

Alastair G, Team O&S at Ole & Steen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Hi TinyToxicTears,

Thanks for such a nice review. Great choice on the brownie, they're melt-in-your-mouth delicious. We're so glad you decided to pop in after noticing our cakes in the window, and we sure are happy to hear you'd make the trek all the way back to London just for our cakes!!

PS. Happy belated Reaching Level 30 day :)

Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

The cakes the bakes and the excellent coffee. This place is awesome for breakfast, lunch or coffee brake. In fact its excellent for any brake...very healthy but do mind the calories.

We're very glad to hear that you enjoy your Ole & Steen coffee and lunch breaks, Ohad2209! See you again soon!

Reviewed 24 November 2017

We popped in after an evening concert at St Martin-in-the-Field and had a couple of delicious pastries and cappuccinos. It closes at 10:30, so would be a good choice for post-theatre as well, unless it were a very long play.

The best view of the pastries is from the sidewalk outside, so have a good look before you go in and place your order. Don't think about having a brandy or other spirit with your coffee though, since it's beer and wine only.

Hi WandererOnTheRoad,

We're happy to hear you enjoyed your post-concert visit. Hope to see you back again soon! :)

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

Popped in for lunch with a friend. Bread and cakes looked fantastic but their ordering system is very strange and haphazard. Take a ticket, wait for number to be called, go to the counter but realise you have no idea what food is on the menu as you can't see the board on the wall, ask for menu, menu can't be found for a few minutes, order food, be handed a number to put on table, pay, go and collect drinks, try and find a table and wait for food! We both ordered the poached eggs with avocado and salmon which looked delicious but the eggs were practically cold. Maybe the waitress had trouble locating where we were sitting. Such a shame. Would go back as their sandwiches looked lovely and the coffee was very good but their method of taking orders left something to be desired.

Alastair G, Manager at Ole & Steen, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear HoneyBeeLondon,

Thank you for taking time to write to us, your feedback is much appreciated.

We take our standards very seriously and your feedback is extremely important to us so we can improve in all areas, offering our guests the best possible customer experience. However this clearly wasn’t the case this time and for this I truly apologise.

Our ticketing system is used in all of our stores as it allows guests to browse the bakery for all our delicious items without being stuck in the queue. It has proven most useful, especially on our busy days, to make sure our guests are served in order. Your comments are very valid and I think having someone on the door to help with this, will be helpful to explain how it works. This is something we will be implementing moving forward on our busiest days.

I have taken all your other comments on board and will echo them to the staff and kitchen. We have put more menus out on display as well as briefed the staff on where extra menus are so they can easily give them to our guests. As for the eggs being cold, there simply is no excuse.

I would very much like to invite you back for a treat on us at your convenience. Please let me know if you’d be willing to let me restore your faith in our quality and service standards, I would love to make this up to you.

I look forward to seeing you in the bakery again soon.

Kind Regards
Ruta

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Very nice breakfast of pastries, skyr yogurt with fruit and coffee. There was such a wide selection, it was difficult to choose! Plenty of seating, although some of it was a bit squashed together.

Alastair G, Team O&S at Ole & Steen, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Hi there New_Ashburnian,
Choosing which pastry to have really is the most difficult part, isn't it?? We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you back again to try some more! :)