“Just what we were looking for”

The Harrison Gastro Pub and Hotel
Ranked #76 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We wanted a place to stay that was clean and well run, was reasonably priced, and was conveniently located near King's Cross/St. Pancras and Euston stations. The Harrison checked all the boxes, and then some.
We really couldn't have asked for more. The hotel is located about an easy 5-8 minute walk from Kings Cross/St. Pancras and 10 or 15 minutes from Euston Station. It's in a quiet, safe-feeling residential area; it's not in a super-lively part of town, but that was fine with us.
But convenience was not the main plus for The Harrison. We stayed for 4 nights, and what we liked best was the atmosphere, which was easygoing and friendly.
It felt homey, and while any hotel obviously serves people who were from out-of-town, it also really seemed to be a part of the community, hosting popular Sunday afternoon meals, various open-mics, etc. The manager, Sophie, was really helpful and kind, as were the other staff members we met. (We forgot a couple of small items in the room when we left to fly home to the States. We figured they were lost, but Sophie mailed them back to us, free of charge. Thank so much!)
We felt very welcome, even though the hotel itself (basically, four rooms over a pub) is probably not the largest part of the business. Our room (#2) was simple, bright, clean, neat and plenty large enough for two adults and our teenaged son. The Full English Breakfasts were overwhelming, by which I mean plentiful and tasty. Hardly needed lunch after one of those breakfasts.
Pub noise was never an issue for us. Maybe if we had been the sort who like it super-quiet before 11 p.m., it might have been, particularly on Sunday night, when there was a Celtic music jam session in the pub. But for us, the jam session was one of the highlights of our stay. Wonderful local musicians put on what was essentially a free concert for us. Loved it!
We didn't get a chance to try The Harrison for dinner, but the menu looked great and we will try to next time if we manage to get back to London.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Travfamly

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed for one night in room 4, on a Saturday night. We arrived about 3 hours too early for check in and asked to leave bags, but as room was ready we were given the room right away which was great. Room was clean and comfortable with clean and functional ensuite bathroom. Highlight was the full English Breakfast. Generous portions cooked and presented very well. Made me regret not eating in the pub the night before.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2013

my sister and i stayed here on a Saturday. we stayed in room number two, which has a double and a single bed. first thing that struck us when we walked through the door is that the room was bright and extremely clean. the bed covers were white, and the beds and pillows were so comfy! we had a kettle with a wide range of coffees and tea. the en suite was compact but very clean and the shower was nice and easy to use. Breakfast was lovely, very big and we had it delivered to our room. they serve from 7.30-10 which was nice as we were out late the night before so opted to have it quite late.
we had a quick drink in the bar downstairs before we went out, the bar staff were friendly and helpful. if we hadn't had prior plans we would have loved to have stayed and watched the entertainment.
we will definitely stay there again when next in that part London.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed at the Harrison in late April for 1 night. We opted for the double room with a bath in the adjoining en-suite (room 4). The room was quite small but it's nice and cosy. The bed is excellent and very comfortable. The bathroom is large and spacious. Both the room and bathroom are well lit and clean. The downsides would probably be the size of the room, the lack of storage space, and the fact that there are several flights of stairs to climb. Also the heating wasn't working but I can't criticise the owners for this as we hadn't asked exactly how to get it to work (there must be a way!) The downsides are certainly outweighed by all the positives however: the room and bathroom was very clean and comfortable; the location is excellent for both St Pancras and for central London; the breakfasts delivered to the room the next morning were fantastic and something you would expect in a posh 4 or 5 star hotel; the staff were kind and friendly throughout; there's a great pub downstairs that's only open for about 5 hours per night (i.e. it's really quiet and peaceful after around 11pm). I may stay here again in future and I would happily recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sundip M
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I chose to stay at the Harrison because it was once of the few places where I could find a room at the last minute. Now I know why. The rooms are advertised as having wifi. When I checked in, on a Sunday afternoon, I was given the keys to room 4. The room was smallish, but comfortable and clean. I pulled out my iPad to check a few addresses and couldn't even pick up the wifi network. I told the person who had checked me in. She told me that sometimes there is a problem with room 4 and that she would reboot the system. I went out and came back in the evening and once again could not get on the wifi in my room. It worked fine in the bar downstairs. However, I had selected the Harrison because they advertised wifi in each room (lots of hotel have wifi in the lobby . . ). I also informed the person who was working that the light over my bathroom sink didn't work. On Monday, once again,no wifi, but I was told that someone would go out and get a booster. I also told the person who was working that the light over my mirror still did not work and that it was a problem because I couldn't even see to put my makeup on. He suggested that I could downstairs (3 flights) to the public bathroom because there was a mirror with a light there. I was eventually able to get on the wifi, but was kicked off after a couple of minutes. I asked to change rooms and was told that they were full. Interestingly, each person I talked to about the wifi problems in my room said "Oh yeah, it never works in room 4!" The booster arrived on Tuesday and so did the electrician to fix the light in my room. So I had wifi and a mirror for 1+ of the 3 days that I stayed there. At checkout, they gave me a refund of 50 lbs (I had prepaid the room) as compensation for the problems. Everyone that I dealt with at this pub with rooms was very nice. But I wouldn't stay there again and wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 4!