“Best Ethiopian restaurant in London!”

Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #636 of 24,831 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

This is easily the best Ethiopian restaurant in London, made all the more so by the delightful owner Getenesh. The restaurant is on a queued street off of Caledonia Rd. We made reservations for 7 people and Getenesh was very easy to communicate with for this. Would highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion.

Reviewed 17 March 2017

Excellent and authentic food, with a wide range of options for vegetarians and meat eaters alike - and great value too! The owner is lovely, and somehow manages to take orders, prepare the food, serve it and even explain the dishes to you all at once. Will definitely be returning soon - a perfect venue for celebrations or for a quiet night out.

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

Dropped into Kokeb having never tried Ethiopian food before, the restaurant was quiet but this was likely due to it being only about 4pm and the weather was wet and windy, we were met by a lovely lady who we later found out was the restaurant owner/chef & waitress having opened the restaurant some 18 years ago and built up a large loyal base of customers from local and afar. She made us feel welcome and also offered to help us navigate what was an entirely new cuisine to us. We ended up having a spicy chicken and Egg wot with a variety of vegetarian side dishes all served on an injera. The vegetable dishes were lovely all with different flavours and heat levels the wot itself had lashings of spicy sauce on two plump chicken drumsticks. The injera was unusual sort of like a sour tasting thin crumpet it was an ideal vehicle for the variety of dishes. All in the food was great but the homely feel and friendly conversation made the meal! Oh and i definitely recommend the Ethiopian coffee for anyone who likes their coffee strong but refined! Would definitely go again!

Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

We went to this place for a dinner.
It was my first ever experience with Ethiopian food, loved everything there.

We ordered some food and advice from the owner/chef was given that it may be too much and she suggested smaller order, she was spot on.

Delicious vegetarian/ meat options/ lovely Ethiopian beer. Service was excellent.

Will definitely recommend for a nice Ethiopian experience.

Reviewed 6 February 2017

I'd been told about this place by many people and came with a friend one evening. It's a short walk from Caledonian Road tube and relatively easy to find along a quiet residential street. The decor is spartan, although it has nice touches of Ethiopia all around, which was interesting.

The proprietress was extremely friendly and busy throughout the evening. She seemed to be a one-woman operation, which meant that service was a bit slow, but we did not mind as we were not in a rush, though there were some significant time-lags on occasion. That said, there was one table - a party of 4 or 5 people - who seemed to know her well and my friend and I were quite surprised by how overly friendly she seemed to be with them - we overheard her telling them that they could not order some menu item as she did not have enough for other potential orders. I'd have been miffed if I were seated and ready to pay for a meal that was available only to be told I would not be allowed to have it because some 'potential' customers might want some. The table did not seem too bothered by this, and thankfully this did not happen for us, but something to be aware of, I guess.

I am not an expert on Ethiopian cuisine, but my friend is, and she ordered some really good dishes for us to share. The standouts for me were the vegetarian options, particularly a dish consisting of carrots and green beans that was extremely flavorsome, and the yellow lentils. Some of the spicier dishes were a little too hot for my taste, but I still enjoyed them nonetheless. The spongy bread that is served is like really soft, chewy sourdough, and can be an acquired taste - I personally quite liked it, though a little of it went a long way with me.

Prices are in line with the setting, with individual items fairly priced - though ordering a combination of items will set you back a fair bit, we found! Overall, despite the nice food, the slow though friendly service (and that incident with the other table) does not inspire a quick return visit. It's also more of a neighborhood, bare-bones joint than destination dining.