“Good food. Bad service”
Review of Uchi

Uchi
Ranked #11,673 of 24,659 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Description: Uchi is a very favoured Japanese restaurant within London. Opening hours: Monday - Thursday, Friday 6pm - 11pm Saturday: 6pm - 11pm Sunday: 5pm - 10pm Tuesday - Wednesday we are closed
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Food was tasty but I was expecting a lot more after it had come so reccomended.

Service was bad. You could see the staff arguing in the corner most of the night and we didn't get any attention most of the night.

No card machine so we had to really think about what we ordered which was a shame because they could have made more money out of us.

I have to say, the stools were really uncomfortable too and if the service would have been great we probably wouldn't have noticed as much.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

There's no exaggeration in the title what so ever as this really was one of my worst food experience in London. I don't normally leave bad reviews on restaurants but this experience really just makes me feel quite disgusted.

(Sorry this is kinda long, cos I am trying to tell you all exactly what happened. If you want the short version you can scroll to the bottom)

A few nights ago, my friend and I went to this restaurant for a quick bite after a gig in the area. We were standing at the entrance for at least 5 minutes until one of their denim wearing staff decided that we were worthy enough to be seated. I was a bit annoyed but as it looked quite busy at the time (despite some staff were literally just standing there staring into the air) so I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt.

After one of their staff finally decided to come serve us and took us to our 'table' (a line of stools facing the wall), it took them another 20+ minutes to come take our order. The food menu was tiny, the most ridiculously tiny restaurant menu I've ever encountered. It is more practicle to have a smaller menu when you are one of those restaurants that changes your menu daily, but I am pretty sure this is the same menu they've had since they opened. I understand this restaurant is trying to go for an Izakaya (居酒屋) kinda vibe so all the food are served in small portions, but a traditional izakaya has a variety of foods to choose from. After the waiter came with his trendy iPad to take our order (the iPad didn't work for the first time he had to run away to get it fixed or something so that was more waiting).

We did not order a lot as we only just wanted some quick food, but it really took them at least an hour and a half to serve all our food, the first thing served was ice-cream and the last food served was aubergine grilled in miso paste (Nasudengau 茄子田楽), and the freaking thing was burnt... I've eaten Nasudengaku hundreds of times and not once have I encountered a burnt one (except that one I attempted to make myself), it was so burnt that I could smell the burnt as they were serving it, the whole aubergine skin was BLACK and it tasted bitter and just... BURNT! We immediately let the waiter know that the dish was burnt, I don't know if the waiter was actually not understanding what we were trying to say because of his limited English skills (all of their waiters there seem not to have the English skills that are required to work in a costumer based job) or he simply thought we were a couple of fools, he told us that this was what the dish was supposed to taste like. I understand that the kitchen might mess things up from time to time that's completely normal but to have the audacity to serve your customer a burnt dish, and then when the customers confronted this to you, you actually say to them that this is what the dish suppose to taste like. Seriously? Is this a joke? And the deep-fried rice balls, they're tasteless and so hard they literally chipped one of my back teeth, I am not joking. Their food is an actual health hazard.

Oh and they did not tell you it was cash only until when you get the bill. That's just the cherry on top isn't it.

I've been going to Japanese restaurants all my life and this one is without a doubt the most disappointing one. Never again. Avoid, AVOID!

To sum it up (sorry about the ranting)

1. Waited at the door for at least 5 minutes before they notice you, and when they notice you they don't even bother to greet you, they kinda just leave you hanging.
2. Tiny food menu, i mean, TINY. The food selection is bad and all over the place.
3. It took them at least 20+ minutes to take our order (from their tiny menu).
4. It took them at least 1 hour and a half to serve us our 4 tiny portions of food. Tempura, Deep fried rice balls, Grilled aubergine and ice cream. And they served the ice cream first before anything...
5. Tempura is average, deep-fried rice balls literally so hard it chipped one of my back teeth (I am not joking I need to make a reservation at the dentist), the grilled aubergine they forgot about and we had to remind them, it was freaking BURNT. You can smell it from a mile away and the waiter had the audacity to tell me thats what it supposes to taste like... after I really confronted him how bad it is, they took it away and gave us a less burnt one (still burnt, just less) in a minute?
6. Staff have very limited English skills. This is a customer based job, you will have to have standard language skills to do this job. Simple.
7. They did not tell us it was cash only until when we're about to pay...
8. Chairs (or should I say little wooden stools) are extremly uncomfortable.

2  Thank LumiBee
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Went with friends and kids for early dinner on a Saturday evening and we were really impressed! Fantastic food - not a huge menu but everything we had was excellent. Sushi, yakatori, karage chicken, all excellent. Plus some really imaginative vegetarian sushi, far better than I have had before. Lovely service, in a charming atmosphere. We left around 830 and it was just getting busy. We will return!

Reviewed 27 January 2018

This is our second time here, we came back for the tuna crunch hoping that the bad service we received the first time was a once-off. For the purposes of this review I'll combine our two experiences into one.

Booking: It took 9 emails to actually get the table booked, followed by a phone call on the same evening asking me what time I was coming as they "couldn't tell from the email". Strange. Also some basic email etiquette would be nice, I could only describe it as curt/rude

Seating: Our first time here we were sat at a table on the left beside the kitchen where we could hear a constant low drone/buzzing noise, probably from a fridge. It was incredibly unpleasant, we asked to move and were told we couldn't (restaurant was not busy at all). I couldn't stand the noise so we moved ourselves, they seemed to manage. We also witnessed another table being sat at the back and subsequently asked to move, they didn't seem too pleased. The bar-seating against all the walls is just uncomfortable.

Service: This is the worst part. If you're lucky the food comes sporadically, my girlfriend asked for water 4 times before it came. Drinks orders were accidentally doubled. We ordered a number of dishes, the last of which to come was the tempura. Strange choice of order. The pace of food was slooooowwww, other tables were complaining as well. None of the specials on the board were offered/explained (they need explaining). My girlfriend also overheard someone (manager) tearing a strip off a poor staff member.

Food: As said above, the food is good but it's really not worth the pain. The fried chicken, crunchy tuna roll and lychee mojito drink are all quite nice.

It was impossible to tell who was really in charge, which is likely part of the problem. Staff seem nervous with a lack of confidence. I think a new restaurant manager to whip this place into shape would do the trick. Pretty disappointed in myself for spending (another) £80 on a disappointing dinner, would have have asked for the 12.5% service charge to be taken off but we just wanted to get out.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

The sushi is delicious and the chicken flavours are amazing I had to share my experiance with my friend before they arrived and was happy that we have a great time. Great spot, nice atmosphere good service. Two thumbs up