“Complete waste of money” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Liverpool Marriott Hotel City Centre

Liverpool Marriott Hotel City Centre
Ranked #42 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
London, United Kingdom
“Complete waste of money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

An awful experiance, reception staff rude, very blunt and didnt help in any way. Night manager drunk or drugged up, very rude. All members of staff looked like they wished they were somewhere else, was told by waiting staff " Its not my job !!!" to fetch plates for the breckfast buffet, which isnt worth £15 !!!!
Room dirty, food below average, cold on tray no cover, with a "tray charge" How would I recieve room service ???

Over all, a dirty, very grotty hotel, with no staff passion or motivation and VERY expensive.

Room Tip: Dont stay in this hotel
1 Thank Barry K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Thai first
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

The Marriott Hotel in Liverpool is sited in an excellent location right in the city centre and minutes from the station and bus centre. Its location cannot be faulted.

We stayed for a few nights over a busy weekend. The hotel was overbooked and the room configuration we had booked was not ideal. (We got better results calling the Reservations line than by using the Internet: better room information and availability.)

We were travelling with two young children and could only secure a room with two double beds for part of the stay; the first night we ended up having to book two separate rooms, obviously at a higher cost, because they could guarantee a room with two double beds would be available.

When we arrived at the hotel, the checkin staff asked about the confusing reservation, and then promptly secured us a room with two doubles for the entire stay, thereby saving us approximately £200 before we sat our bags down. Excellent customer service.

The rooms were good, not great. A little tired, but more or less what you might expect in a UK city centre 4-star hotel. It was not disappointing, just could have been better.

Staff overall were excellent, attentive, and friendly. Breakfast choice was a little muted but in general the choice was reasonable.

There was birthday party in a function room on one of the nights and the noise from the room made it all the way to the third floor, but in fairness it was over by midnight and the staff were understanding when we called down and explained our children couldn't speak: they did actually lower the bass levels in the room which helped a little.

Overall, pretty good hotel, if a little dated in this day and age, but great location and not bad value.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KMcCorry
Perth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed one Saturday night here and found it great even although it was a bit expensive. I was in an Executive Room with Breakfast at a wopping £215 - expensive for Liverpool. The hotel was full (as were most of the other decent hotels in the centre) because Liverpool were playing home to Wigan in the football and there were various event on.

Best thing is the location - right in the heart of everything. Plenty of good bars and restaurants nearby and the main shopping centre/precinct and Lime Street Railway Station are right next door too. Albert Docks is an easy 10-15 minute walk.

I arrived by car and found it a bit tricky finding the route into the hotel - you have to drive through a restricted area and then negotiate a tight turning area in front of reception.....and the entrance to the car park is not easy to see. I missed the car park entrance completely and did a couple of laps of the one-way system before finding the Queen's Square public car park (the hotel has a private entrance for residents....the one I missed). Parking was £12.50 for overnight but the Marriot stamped my ticket and discounted the rate to £12.00!

Once safely in the hotel, the staff were all very pleasant and helpful throughout and the room was great, peaceful considering I was in the heart of the city centre, and was superbly appointed. Breakfast was good too but if I was to stay again I would try to opt for without breakfast and visit one of the nearby restaurants/cafes instead (less expensive and total table service). Still I had no complaints.

All in all a good hotel which I would recommend to others......but it was on the expensive side.

2 Thank FairCityFrasie
Telford, Shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night after watching Liverpool get beat by Wigan. I'm not a Liverpool fan so I wasn't too bothered by the result but my wife was. It was a good job the hotel made up for it!!

We arrived by train as parking in Liverpool is very expensive. This hotel charges £12 for the weekend which I think is a lot. Some people may think it’s OK but that’s a personal thing. The hotel is literally just across the road from the station and less than a five minute walk. The local shops and nightlife are also right next door and even the Albert docks are only a steady 10 minute stroll. Well worth a visit too.

The hotel is a little expensive but as it was a football weekend, most of the cheaper priced hotels tend to get full very quickly.

I don't mind paying a little extra though as long as the benefits are there and this hotel didn't fail to deliver.

A very clean and pleasant hotel and some of the friendliest staff I have met and I spend a lot of time in hotels in my job. Maybe that's just a reflection of the Liverpool friendliness as I have yet to meet anyone from Liverpool who hasn't got a great sense of humour.

The room was very clean, tidy and comfortable and the night’s sleep was excellent. No street noise and hardly any noise from inside the hotel even though there was a large party on that night.

The breakfast was perfect although if you don't pre-book you would have to pay £15 each which I think is ridiculous for what is basically a "great British fry-up". There are plenty of Weatherspoon pubs in easy walking distance that do “full English" starting from £3.99 each.

The hotel bar was great. Very comfortable, fair prices and had Sky TV as do all hotels. There is also a heated indoor swimming pool which seemed very popular although we didn't have time to use it.

Overall, a lovely hotel in a perfect location with really nice and friendly staff. I would highly recommend it and would have no hesitation in using it again in the future.

Thanks

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stevie_m
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

I'm a business customer and have recently stayed for two weeks in the Marriott. I am actually in Liverpool for the next four weeks as well but have chosen to try a competitor hotel.

The Positives:
• Fantastic location, right in the heart of Liverpool with restaurants, bars, pubs, train stations all within walking distance
• Friendly and very attentive staff
• Very good choice of hot and cold selections for breakfast
• Room Service generally not bad (expect to pay normal high prices)
• CCTV and Security Guard occupied Parking right next door
• Hotel and room generally very clean.
• Sky Sports 1 available in your room at no extra cost.

The Negatives:
• No complementary water in room
• No complementary internet. I find it ridiculous that for a hotel with such a famous brand name that wifi is not available free or for a charge in rooms. Only hard connection is available and is at an extortionate price, even for a business customer!
• The air con in my rooms (stayed in a different for each of my two weeks) was non-existent. The rooms were constantly too hot and I had to keep the window open at all times.
• General feel of hotel and rooms quite dated compared to rivals.
• Admittedly I had a standard room for the first week, but the advertised double bed was two singles pushed together.

The decision breaker for me for not staying for the next month here is the internet. Competitor hotels in the area offer this complementary in every room. This is essential for me.

• 2 of 5 bubbles