“I feel very mixed about this hotel”

Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre
Ranked #22 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“I feel very mixed about this hotel”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My boyfriend booked this hotel for my birthday through LastMinute.com and I have mixed reviews.

The hotel is very easy to find although at first we were worried as the car parking charges said £20 for 24 hours, not to worry though as this is the rate for people not staying. If you have a room it's £10 a night which was OK, going rate for this type of hotel.

On entering the hotel we were greeted by a doorman and went to check-in. My boyfriend showed we were pre-paid and we were offered the option of swiping a card for further charges but declined this so we could 'Pay As You Go'.
The guy on check in was lovely and informative. The reception area is very nice with a nice large bar.

THE ROOM - We went up to our room which was over looking the river, my boyfriend was pleased as he had asked for a view of the river. When booking laterooms it was classed as a Queen bed, but it was more like a standard double. It was very comfy though with plenty of nice pillows. We also had a couple bottles of water in the room.
The fridge was empty which suited us as we never use mini bar's but can be filled on request. TV was OK but a bit of a blurry picture now I'm used to HD!
The room was not as big as some I have stayed in but still space to move plus there was a chair and table as well as the usual furniture.

It was a bit weird that there was only 1 sachet of hot chocolate and 1 bathrobe, I know it must be a popular hotel for business travelers but when the room has been prepared for a couple it would be nice to have 2 of eveything. A quick call to reception sorted that although the dressing gowns weren't the best but it was a nice extra.

ONE BIG PLUS - After coming back from the shops we walked in to a birthday card and some chocolate brownie desserts which was a lovely touch and hugely appreciated. Although it's a good job my boyfriend had bought some spoons as he bought a Birthday cake, as they didn't leave any so we'd of been eating with our hands.

BATHROOM - Small but well kept. I had both a bath and shower during the stay. The bath took ages to run but was lovely. The shower was brilliant! Great pressure and temp with a decent curtain! Nice big towels too.

FOOD - The first night we had dinner in our room which was lovely. Could not fault the food although my boyfriend signed for it then a few mins later we had a phone call to say we needed to pay as we didn't swipe a card. I said OK we'll come down in a bit and the guy said 'I'll come up'. Slightly annoying as we were already eating and then had to wait again for change. We weren't going to tip as already paying £3 tray charge plus the high cost to begin with.
We also had breakfast the next morning in bed. Well 2 words - DON'T BOTHER. We had a special rate of £10 each and we both chose a full English and with that got a bakery basket.
Now I'm not a fussy eater but was NOT happy with the food at all.
The 'toast' was basically bread that had been shown the toaster. There was 2 pots of marmalade but no jam which was a disappointment as there was a croissant but I only really eat them with jam on. The coffee wasn't very nice and there was no sugar on the tray, luckily we still had some in the room from the coffee making tray. The best bit was the small blueberry muffin. It may be different if you go down to breakfast, but had it in the room for a 'treat'. The Little Chef brekkie on the way home today was better and half the price!

LOCATION - Fantastic location. Very near to everything. I would say this was a great location if you drive there, but if getting a train and having a night out etc then there are even better located hotels right in the middle which are on the same level as this one.

OTHER - Got 2 champagne glasses from the bar to take up to the room. Both had smears on and one was chipped, and the barman had 'checked' them aswell - we saw him do it!

On the morning of checkout we had an invoice pushed through the door with the following on:

1 night package
Parking
Breakfast
1 night package
Parking
Breakfast

It came to over £200. Bearing in mind we had pre-paid the room and only had breakfast once I thought this was a joke. Quickly sorted but a mistake that shouldn't of happened.
It was also annoying that the rate for the room was cheaper than what my boyfriend paid on laterooms!

Anyway sorry for the long review! Overall it was a pleasant stay and the brownies were a great touch, but for a future visit I think we would book elsewehere.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Only stayed here one night but really enjoyed my visit. The location is great, right next to the Liver Buildings, we had a room with a view of the dock which was nice. The greeting from reception was very friendly and all the staff that we encountered were helpful, pleasant and efficient. The room was very comfortable and had two double beds. The beds were a delight, really really comfortable with lots of pillows, I had a wonderful night's sleep, which is unusual for me in a city centre hotel but the room was very quiet. Breakfast was great, a fantastic choice of food and everything was excellent quality, the sausages and bacon were delicious. I honestly couldn't fault our stay and can't understand the bad reviews that I have read, the people must have been very unlucky, I could have easily stayed for a week!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river or dock.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My hubby and I stayed in room 116 on a bitterly cold weekend in Feb and along with the toasty temperature in our lovely room we were met with warm smiles and hospitality throuhout our stay. The room was spacious and with little touches of luxury made for a very enjoyable break. I particularly enjoyed the complimentary water and mints and yummy quality biccies and hot chocolate provided, as well as the quality shampoo and bubble bath in the bathroom, small touches that set this hotel apart from others that we have stayed in recently. Breakfast was a cornucopia of yummyness and I left the room absolutely stuffed after so much choice and quality of ingredients, as a head chef I appreciate good food, well cooked! The only negative aspect would be the slowness of service in the restaurant on the Friday evening. there were 5 tables and three staff but waiting times for the food were a little excessive (over 30 minutes for our main course) and we had to ask twice for a beer that my hubby ordered. In her defence the waitress was very apologetic and explained she had 'poured it but left it somethere' and knocked it off our bill. However the steak and wine offer that I ordered were delicious and well worth the wait, the steak melted in the mouth and was cooked to perfection so maybe the old adage of he who waits....

Room Tip: room 116 overlooks the waterfront and dock
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Conveniently sited near to the Pier Head,own car park costa £10 per day for residents (£20 for others),very welcoming reception staff efficiently checked in and given all relevant hotel information clearly within five minutes..good start.Rooms cleaned to within an inch of their lives,no hairs in the sink here and nice white towels and bathrobes as standard,T.V.,coffee,tea,all the usual including nice biccies!...and complimentary water.Mini bar stocked at your request,good room service menu 24 hours,wi-fi access. the other people in our party were a bath robe short but this was immediately rectified on request,although their room heating system was faulty,quite cold.
Someone came to repair it but it needed parts so no heat overnight and as it was only one night's stay somewhat inconvenient,but these things happen...I'm sure they would have been offered another room if staying longer.
Visited swimming pool,sauna,steam room (visibility nil...needs air circulation sorting out),all very enjoyable;sitting in the jacuzzi you are facing the Liver Buildings,superb view.Mens' locker room a bit tired,locks damaged,some keys missing, needs some attention but to be expected as a bust city centre gym and health club,could benefit from a spindryer for drying costumes.The locker room attendant on Friday 10th February afternoon should be mentioned too..he never stopped while we were there,ensuring no excess water in shower areas and generally doing a great job..nice lad.
Didn't eat at hotel,but taxi ordered to take us to dinner,concierge a really nice bloke who could not do enough to help.Bar open for night cap around 00.30am,no pressure to leave,pleasant barman
.Had breakfast in our room,£3.00 surcharge,nice selection of good quality food without being too much,on time
.Checkout next day in five minutes,no mistakes on the bill...don't you just hate the mystery £7.60 you never signed for!.And that was it..a really pleasant stay,all staff working together,knowing their jobs,will go again.A TIP: check their website 3-4 weeks in advance of your trip..great discounts if you pay in advance.
All in all a good overnight stay at a discounted rate,compares well to others we have done;the staff are the key here,it shows if they are not happy and these obviously are!!

Room Tip: Ask for the view overlooking the River Mersey,third or fourth floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for just one night and I am very thankful it was just one night, I honestly wonder about the positive reviews and wonder if this is the same place as I went!! Location is good but everything else is rubbish! On arrival the reception staff were disinterested and its slightly annoying that you have to pay extra for parking, especially when they charge a premium anyway. The reception area and bar is very tired and everything just looks shabby.

We headed to our room where the disappointment continued. The bathroom was pretty rancid, dirty shower head, dirty bath and the soap holder looked like it hadnt been cleaned for weeks - just unpleasant. The rest was 'ok' but dont expect a good nights sleep in an average bed with the hardest pillows ever. In terms of the facilities, well they exist but they are certainly not luxurious. The pool area, changing rooms etc are just tired and well a bit dirty.

All in all this hotel is SEVERLEY OVER PRICED. Its not opulent its a dirty, tired, unwelcoming place that you might just live with if they didnt charge you £100 to stay there. I would advise you to stay somewhere else.

3 Thank MN27
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear MN27,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Crowne Plaza takes pride in the level of service and cleanliness at our hotels. I am sorry that we fell below your expectations. I would like to discuss this further with you. I have sent you a private message in attempt to gain more information about your stay.
I look forward to hearing back from you and being of further assistance.

Katie J