“Excellent hotel, but forget the breakfast”

Heywood House Hotel
Ranked #16 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel, but forget the breakfast”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The hotel is excellently positioned, less than five minutes walk from the Cavern in one direction and the Liver Building (and hence the Mersey) in the other. We were booked into a “plush” room, and while the adjective was a bit overblown, the room was very comfortable, clean and nicely decorated and was a bargain at the price. The whole hotel oozed elegance and the reception staff were unfailingly pleasant and polite.

On the other hand, I have to say that breakfast was a let-down. Service was “relaxed” – although only three other tables were occupied when we came down it was over 20 minutes before we were served – and the price was a bit of a rip-off: £6.95 each for a bowl of pre-packaged cornflakes, a croissant and three half-slices of toast. Not only that, but we were charged extra for our single cup of coffee!

All in all, I would definitely return to the hotel if staying in Liverpool but would arrange to breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Polish first
North Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I can't believe how little we paid for this bang in the centre hotel in Liverpool. £60 a night with breakfast on a special winter deal. We did have to change bedrooms once as they put us in a room with a noisy fan outside (Liverpool or Everton? I don't know. ;) ) I think management should avoid this room at all costs in future as even if someone has paid a bargain price for their stay - they should at least be able to sleep. False economy to keep having to move people. Anyway the decor was lovely - the location superb and the staff all very friendly. We particularly liked our breakfast waiter - so he got a tip. Do try all the wonderful and free art galleries and museums and make sure you visit both cathedrals and catch a ferry across the Mersey. We also did an Anfields Legends tour and went around the ground with Jan Molby. Great fun.

Room Tip: say - don't put me in the one with the noisy fan!
derby
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This boutique hotel sits just a few yards from Liverpool One shopping centre & a couple of hundred yards from the Albert Dock complex. Perfect for a sight seeing tourist. We booked a Groupon deal for just one night and were very pleased with our room. It was small but adequately proportioned, scrupulously clean & had nice touches such as a Bose Ipod dock, flat screen TV & a power shower. Bathroom was a good size and well fitted but we needed all of my 6 O Levels to work out how to get water out of the taps! We loved the decor & clean modernity of the room.
The down sides of the room (212) was no view at all & a loud intermittent noise which went on all through the night. (I think this was a boiler fan firing up & running) Apart from this little niggle we were favourably impressed. Reception was efficient & the morning staff was very friendly. We did not breakfast in Noble House but the fun and "real" greasy spoon next door to the hotel where we were treated to a real Scouse welcome.
Loved Liverpool & will be back. A great weekend venue.

Room Tip: Keep away from 212 if you are noise sensitive.
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 11 February 2012

This is a beautiful hotel, the only drawback is no bar facilities, but we'll get over that! :D Spotlessly clean and the best shower I've ever had in my life. The staff were lovely, especially the night porter/receptionist was an absolute gentleman! I would highly recomend this hotel apart from wht I said above it's central to everything. 5min walk from the centre of town and about 3mins from Matthew Street, the late night bars are there and the Cavern! I really can't fault it. :D :D :D

Room Tip: We had a 'comfy double' and were very happy with it.
1 Thank Louise M
Lanark
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst on a business trip. Check-in was quick and the receptionist very friendly, was given a free upgrade to a plush room (not sure what the difference was as this was my first time at the hotel). Room was very nice, decorated well and finished to a high standard. In-room internet is free but only available via network cable, I believe their is free wi-fi in the public areas. The only issue I found was the pillows, very thin and not comfy at all.

I had breakfast in the Noble restaurant, paid for it upfront but probably not necessary, most items were around £7 for a cooked breakfast including coffee/tea.

Overall a lovely hotel, I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will return later in the year.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business