All reviewssky tvfull english breakfastvisiting lincolnsingle roomtown centrefamily roomfeel very welcomeexcellent breakfastcourtyard roommain roadreceived a very warm welcomeparking permiteasy parkinglovely guesthouseexcellent place to staycouple of nightspower shower
Reviewed 2 August 2018

Stayed at Brayford Guest House for work during the week. Marie & Clint were both extremely welcoming and excellent hosts. They greeted me on arrival and explained where to park. having not stayed in this area of Lincoln before they pointed me in the direction of the nearest restaurants which were about a 10 minute walk away. The room was the perfect size for me for a couple of nights and the dressing table allowed me to get some work done during my visit. The cooked breakfast was delicious and filled me up for most of the day. As I was in a rush on the second morning I just opted for continental which far surpassed any offering at the likes of the premier/holiday inn. Marie also allowed me to take some fruit & a croissant away with me which was greatly appreciated. I have recommended the guest house to the rest of my work colleagues as we are often in the area and have already booked in for my second visit next month.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2018

Booked a double room here for two nights via booking.com. On a positive note, the establishment is very clean, well maintained, and the lady who was running it at the time we visited, Emma, was pleasant and courteous.
The Brayford is located along a very busy road, and the adjoining properties, and area do appear somewhat run down. Our room, which was booked as a double, was very small, in fact, one side of the bed had no bedside table, instead there was a small wardrobe. The bathroom likewise is very small.
When we visited, the weather was very warm, and the room, which faced the afternoon sun, was stifling. In fairness, the Blinds had been drawn, and a fan was provided, but this didn't alleviate it much. We had no alternative but to open the window, which meant the constant heavy traffic noise kept us awake most of the night. Again, in fairness, I of course realise the owners are not responsible for the weather! But the size of the room did not help.
We were told on arrival, that as the owners were away, only a continental breakfast was available, ok, no problem with that. However, it was somewhat disappointing, it consisted of cereals, sliced bread toast, rolls and processed cheese, prepacked croissants, and frozen berries. A more apt description would be, a basic breakfast rather than continental.
We decided we didn't want to spend another night in the room, and checked out, and into a hotel, something we have never done before.
On complaining to the owner after our departure, we were told that we should have checked if the owners were away, and if the property was on a busy road. It did say on booking that if the owners were away a complimentary breakfast would be provided, this is true, I just feel the owners could be more forthcoming and advise guests in their e mails of this,as they were able to contact us about arrival times.
I feel it's a case of caveat emptor.
To conclude, I have tried to be objective in my review, and give credit where due. I did find it difficult to reconcile our experiences with all the glowing reviews, and I came to the conclusion that guest houses cater for a certain category of people, and we are not part of that!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
clint_phillips, Owner at Brayford Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

To the reviewer thanks for your positive comments .

To future guests when booking on booking .com please look at the photos of the room provided they show sizes of rooms pictures of bathrooms and if you have any questions regarding them please feel free to call us .
Please note we will only have one room per type so we are not like a hotel and can move guests to other rooms .
In our defence here we provided the room that was booked by the customer we didn’t move them to some other box room which this review seems to be referring to and the pictures are on the booking clear to see so I’m not sure why we would have someone complaining when they got what they booked .
Also there’s a map on booking .com it shows we’re on a main route there will be road noise but anywhere in a city centre will have some noise .

With reference to the room being hot we’re in a heat wave and we’re in a country that generally doesn’t have air con . If we had it installed just for a couple of weeks a year our prices would be a more expensive and if this is a requirement to you when booking research and book somewhere that has it .

With reference breakfast we are a really small establishment hence when I’m away there is no cooked option and this rearely happens .
Annoyingly we are in a position here damned if we do damned if we don’t whatever we do will never be right , booking,com give us no other option on their system to put continental only and we don’t want guests coming and there’s no breakfast,
The other option would be we shut but then 95% of guets were totally happy with what we had on offer and loved the convenience of our position so would be a shame for others to miss out .
Regarding the continental breakfast we do not and have never put out processed cheese to any guests ever at Brayford Guest House ,
The food offered when we’re away is on par to what other budget chain hotels offer as we have researched this ,we do have packet croissants and two types of cereal bars so that guests have the option take them with them if they prefer ,but there’s still fresh fruit yogurts and rolls etc Including 7 choices of Kellogg’s cereals too .
Also we do fresh coffe and different choices of teas .
Please feel free to call with any dietary requirements we are always happy to help

I hope to anyone reading this you will take the time to read our great reviews from our lovely guests and appreciate why we achieve a 5* on tripadviser and a 9.3 score on Booking.com
Please appreciate we are not a hotel but we do not charge hotel prices and you receive a free parking permit too if required .
We will always ensure a cooked breakfast option is available when possible please check with us when booking if this is a specific requirement to yourself .
Also book direct if possible as our system shows different breakfast types .
Many thanks for reading this response

Marie Phillips
The owner

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed at the Brayford overnight for a flying visit on Monday. It was sadly the day of my uncles funeral so we couldn’t give times or commit to anything.
Marie was completely fine with this and text me to keep in touch.
On arrival we met Marie’s husband. He was friendly and come out to assist us with the parking. We were shown to our room. This was very nice and spotlessly clean, We even had a fan put in our room due to the hot weather. Nice touch
The next morning breakfast was served . Omg! This is unmissable! Every request was catered for from stamped eggs to very crispy bacon and fried bread. There were juices, fruit,yogurt and plenty to choose from! This breakfast topped any other and the poached eggs were cooked to perfection.
All in all, a fab stay with friendly hosts, the best breakfast ever! And a bowl of sweets in the hallway!( prices less)!
Thanks again

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2018

My daughter and I really enjoyed our visit to Lincoln and Brayford B&B but when we booked we were looking foreward to a cooked breakfast not a continental, the owners should have informed us they were going away and that the cold buffet was the only thing on offer. If we had known we would not have stayed there to me our contract was not met.
The lady who greeted us was sorry about it but because of this we will be not be going back. As a mark of good will the owners should have discounted at least £5 per guest per day for a cooked breakfast they did not get.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
clint_phillips, Owner at Brayford Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Thank you for your positives .

We understand that you may have been disappointed with no cooked breakfast option
But to clarify we did not charge you for something then not provide .
The rooms were all priced £10,00 per night cheaper than our usual rate to allow for no cooked option this was put into place months before .
The twin room was below £69.00 which is much cheaper than it should of been for a July date .

Unfortunately we do not have the luxury of and agency that could provide a breakfast chef fo cover my job and it would near immpossible to be able to find any one for a couple of weeks a year , we do work 7 days a week and rarely take time off it’s just a shame for you that it was when you were here ,.
To clarify to future guests when booking with booking .com we are not allowed to stipulate anywhere what type of breakfast we are providing as their system has no facility for that .
It does say in a box when you book that cooked option is not available due to staff holidays
Some dates in the year too .
We do on our own booking system attached to our website have a continental breakfast only tab which we can use when this situation arises ,it’s just very annoying that we don’t get the same with outside booking agencies .

We prefer not to shut because of the breakfast as we’re a busy guest house and we do provide a decent selection of other choices also 99% of guests the week I was away were totally happy with what they received .
Apologies for the fact you left not feeling the same but to clarify again you were not charged
For something you didn’t receive .
Thanks for your review

Marie
Brayford Guest House

Reviewed 20 July 2018

In a great location about 10 minutes walk from the University via a walk along the waterfront and about 15 mins from city centre. Arrival and parking arrangements were excellent and kept fully up to date by our lovely hosts. Room was very comfortable with great beds. Free wifi and SKY TV available in the room. Had a lovely Full English breakfast (cooked to order) - lots of other options available along with the customary juice, cereals, yoghourt etc. Would definitely stay here again and have no hesitation in recommending it whatever your reason for visiting Lincoln.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms to the rear
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family