US$204
US$79
US$69
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Ibis Budget Hotel Leicester(Leicester)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$96
Abinger Guest House(Leicester)(Great Value!)
US$70
Days Inn Leicester Forest East M1(Leicester)(Great Value!)
US$54
US$43
Priceline
US$72
PremierInn.com
All reviewswedding venuecontinental breakfastchurch bellscharity eventwhole eventstunning venuetown hall clockfunky barwedding receptionkey codewell maintained and cleangreat central locationroom was largerestaurants and barsstaff were brilliantshower headno lift
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

I stayed here this week for one night. I was struggling to find the car park so rang through and was guided in by the lovely lady on reception who was ever so helpful. She checked me in and showed me to my room and gave me a bit of info about the surrounding area.In fact all the staff I met were great,very friendly and helpful. The room was great,very large with a huge bathroom and some complimentary water,cereal bars and chocolate. It is in a great location,very handy for the town centre and the huge number of restaurants and bars Leicester has to offer. After eating out I returned to my room around 7pm to chill out and get my head down for a good nights sleep after a long day at work. Unfortunately I got virtually zero sleep. There was a lot of noise from people out in the town to maybe 3am screaming and shouting and as mentioned in previous reviews the windows are not the best sound proof wise. I expected a bit of noise being a central apartment but at times it was ridiculous.The main noise though came from below my window and around the car park area. All through the night there was somebody going out to these bins and banging the lids down without a care that it was the middle of the night. And then they decided to drag the bin out for collection at 5am. The constant ringing of the church bells added to a very restless night. So unfortunately I can’t give a higher review. The place itself is great,really couldn’t fault the room or staff but the noise is a serious issue. If you are looking for a good nights sleep I would think twice.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
thecityrooms, Guest Relations Manager at The City Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hi Ian, thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We take great pride in the hospitality of our team so we are delighted you found us to be welcoming and friendly. Being a grade-listed building, we are restricted in the renovations we are able to make to the building, therefore we do not have double-glazing, this coupled with our City Centre location can mean that noise such as the bells and sounds of passers-by travels to the bedrooms. With regards to the bins in the car park area, we share this area with one of the fast food places next to ourselves and it may have been the case that they used their bins late at night on this occasion. I apologise for the inconvenience caused by this and the bin collection, which is done by an external company, and our General Manager has pledged to investigate this to prevent further disturbance to guests. Thank you once again for your review and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 8 February 2018

I really really wanted to like this place. The unique experience of staying in such a extraordinarily beautiful building, plus the great location and reasonable price, should make it all irresistible. But I had a terrible night's sleep and found the whole stay a disappointment. The room is huge (especially the bathroom - the size of some small hotel rooms itself!) but a lot of the furnishing, etc. is very much in need of replacement, particularly the carpet which is ratty and quite dirty. The bathroom has luxury toiletries and good facilities but uses its massive space awkwardly. The bed has very cheap blankets and pillows, despite 'looking' like a great place to sleep. But most of all, the creaky, uneven floors and virtually zero noise suppression in the place meant that you heard everything all the time, including constant stomping on the floor above. The noise isolation here is honestly worse than a mainland Chinese hotel, and trust me, I've been to some! Which means, above all, you should judge a hotel on the quality of sleep you get there. Despite the fancy building and great location, this is a place for a memorable event, not a good night's rest.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
thecityrooms, General Manager at The City Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review The City Rooms; it was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We take every review very seriously and value the comments of every guest, so I would like to address some of the points you have raised.

Regarding your comment about the size and layout of our bathrooms, you are right in saying they are very large – due to the Grade-Listed nature of the building, there is very little we can do about it. In our bathrooms you will find everything one might expect to find in a bathroom, I am sorry you perhaps found the amount of space awkward, but this is something there is very little we can do to change.

As for the furnishings and carpets in the bedrooms, this is something we are updating. I would also like to assure you that the pillows and blankets we use are of very high quality, sourced from suppliers with a reputation for excellence. However, I am pleased to say we will be investing in new duvets, pillows and linen in the very near future.

Regarding your experience of noisiness, we are situated in the town centre and being a Grade-Listed building we cannot update the windows to double-glazed. This may have played a part in the noise you have referred to. It is also possible that there was a hotel guest in the room above yours, however we would like to investigate the issue of noise a little further, so we will be taking measures, such as having a member of staff stay overnight to review this.

I would like to thank you again for your stay with us, we hope we can welcome you back to our beautiful hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

Early December, on a Thursday, we used the City Rooms as a base for a treasure hunt around the city, then all came back for a three course lunch (around 70 of us). Service and food were brilliant and the surroundings are just amazing. A hidden little gem (as in gemstone, not a lettuce) right in the heart of the city.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

Lovely venue and staff very good.......food was so poor I feel like I’ve been robbed . Started with smoked salmon roulade which tasted ok but was let down by cheap sliced loaf bread cut into triangles, main course was stated as roast Leicestershire turkey well all I can say is I’m not entirely sure it was turkey looked more like that boil in the bag processed stuff you could get years ago certainly not the type we normally get on our table at Christmas , potatoes lukewarm . Christmas pudding was actually ok. Not sure about the rest of the table but two of us have had bad stomachs since and we were no drinking that night . Very disappointing

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
thecityrooms, Guest Relations Manager at The City Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017

Hi Samantha, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I am sorry you felt let down by the food. With regards to the bread with the salmon roulade starter, the bread is something we have added to the starter recently, to make the dish more generous. However we note your concerns about the type of bread and its presentation, and will take this feedback on board.

I would like to assure you that our turkey is from Leicestershire, sourced form a local supplier. I would also like to assure you that the turkey is roasted and freshly prepared onsite. I will look into your concerns with the potatoes.

We are sorry to hear you were feeling unwell, we care greatly about the well-being of all our guests, and would like to invite you to contact our general manager, Cherlynn, on 0116 251 5337 or Cherlynn@thecityrooms.co.uk and she will be delighted to talk through your experience with you in greater detail and address any outstanding concerns you may have.

We wish you a Merry Christmas.

Reviewed 14 December 2017

Great central location, check in was quick and easy, we where allocated the same room as last time, room was large, well maintained and clean, the bathroom was again large and complemented with high end fixings with all amenities included.
The reception is only part time manned, you have to buzz in when arriving and then are provided with a key code to the door after that.
There is free, limited space parking behind the hotel but we have never not been able to park there, take that cost of your stay and the hotel is somewhat of a bargain for a pleasant, central located boutique hotel.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back. We wish you a Merry Christmas!