“Anniversary daye”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Visited on a Saturday evening, and the service was extremely poor. Table and floor was dirty, we did not get menus till we asked for them, and drinks......had to wait for a long time and ask 2 different waitresses. Many patrons had come in and left due to this and a table near us hadn’t received starters but mains had come out, so they also left.

However the owner had turned up and turned our whole night around and she steadied the ship straight away and the patrons still left all seemed to have an enjoyable evening.

Food was ok not how it used to be but I guess this was down to the owner not being there at the time.

Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

My family and I visited the place for my mothers birthday. The service was brilliant!!!
Simon, the waiter and the waitress waited on us and tended to our every need. Simon was extremely helpful and recommended some beautiful dishes. The food was some of the best.
Nice, clean and simple menu's. Not too complicated.
We mentioned it was mums Birthday and they went above and beyond to make her evening special. Thank you all once again and see you soon!

2  Thank KingKesh
Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

People, listen to me and that guy before me who gave it 1 star. The best in Leicester?? Hmmm, did you get all your friends to give it great reviews when you first opened mrs owner?

Scruffy, grubby looking decor resembling a cheap 80s working mans club. Filthy menus spattered with dried food. There were only about 4 or 5 tables in and I waited 20 mins for my starter. 3 small spring rolls and some chopped cabbage with no dip. 30 minutes after the starter plates were cleared we still had no mains. The boy waiter (who took our original order) came over and asked, 'are you expecting any more food?' Well we had to tell him our order again. You know how it is in chinese takeaways - the food was miraculously cooked and served in the next 90 seconds.

The lack of attention to detail is laughable. I ordered a Guinness surger. It's a can of Guinness but you put it on a sonic plate and it then looks like a draught pint. The boy just poured it in the pint glass and brought it over flat. They have a couple of draught beers. But the kegs are just under the pumps behind the bar at room temperature. They should be temperature controlled and cool.

My colleague had lamb in a red wine sauce. The 'lamb' came out on a sizzling skillet then the boy waiter brought a bottle of red wine from the bar and poured some over it. Well, it caused meat juices and liquids to pebbledash the table in a radius of a foot or more around the skillet including over my plate, pint glass, napkin, cutlery.

The food is the standard of an average chinese takeaway.

A scowling old woman came out to the bar half way through and she had the vibe of an owner. She was bossy, impatient and unpleasant to the boy.

The most unforgivable thing was she just made up a price at the end in the most blatantly cynical way and I'm embarrassed to say I got conned. She confirmed to me the dishes I'd had and wrote down £32. Then she confirmed we'd had 4 Guinness and wrote £18. I thought the Guinness were £4 in the menu (so it should have been £16) but wasn't sure and wasn't up for confrontation so let it go. Only later when I was chatting with my colleague did we decide that a bill of £50 was one of the most expensive meals we'd had for months. Then between us we started adding up what we thought the menu said each item we'd had cost. Including the drinks it should have been about £36!

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

4  Thank tthalliday1
Reviewed 27 November 2017

How on earth this is the number one Chinese in Leicester is beyond me!

We went on a Friday evening and were shown to a wobbly table with stained paper tablecloths. The paint on the walls of the restaurant are chipped and peeling where chairs bang into them and the whole place immediately felt sub-standard.

The menus were an absolute health hazard!! Utterly filthy with splashes of old food literally all over them. I couldn't even read most of the chicken dishes due to a dark brown substance that was covering most of the writing. They are made of yellow paper - surely they should at least be laminated or inside those plastic menu book things? I had to use hand sanitizer before eating my food as I was so revolted by it.

On the plus side the service was OK, especially from the 2 guys that actually spoke English, unlike a couple of the other staff.

The food however was bland, boring and dull served on plastic plates with no attempt at garnish or whatever. The "sizzling" chicken satay was just a bowl of the stuff poured onto a skillet that was already on the table, so that it sizzled away to nothing.

The décor is something out of last century, bad grey marble and a mish mash of plasticky Chinese tat, with a dirty fish tank with sad looking grey occupants.

Plus, although there was a grimy looking air conditioning unit on the ceiling, I didn't see any radiators anywhere and the restaurant was really freezing.

All in all, probably the worst Chinese meal I have ever had, in one of the worst restaurants I've ever been in!

1  Thank tabithazoo
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Went on a Saturday night and was quite pleasantly surprised to get in without any issue. Ordered the food and waited quite a while for it to arrive. When it arrived the order was wrong so that was changed without issue and, it should be said, without any apology either.

To be fair the food is good but the waiters cannot seem to multi task, that is to say bring out more than one dish at a time. My starter lagged about 5 mins behind everyone else's.

In summary. Good food terrible service.