“Nice place for coffee ”

Sugar&Spice Cafe and Bistro
Ranked #6 of 84 Restaurants in Windermere
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Cuisines: Polish, Cafe
Description: Friendly family run licensed cafe & bistro providing home made food, cakes and scones. Serving coffee and loose leaf teas. Traditional tiered afternoons teas. Breakfast, lunch and bistro meals.
Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

We dropped in to this cafe for a morning coffee. It had a very pleasant ambience and the coffees were good. My cappuccino was better than most I'd had recently. The slice of cake was tasty but disappointingly small. Service was friendly.

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

Visited here by chance on my birthday on Thursday. Exceptionally welcoming staff & friendly service. Food was excellent & reasonably priced with extra butter for toasted teacake no problem. Bustling, family run cafe for all ages. I’d be in more often if I lived nearer. You can even buy a bandana for your dog here - as ya do!!
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 5 October 2018

A great, freshly prepared lunch. The four of us all had something different. The place was packed and the staff were working their socks off, all with a pleasant smile and kind words. Service was brilliant. Great peppermint tea - I drink lots of it and theirs was fab.

Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

Great café in Windermere. The staff were so friendly and approachable and had time to chat. There was a great range of teas, served in a really fun way allowing you to see the infusion process happen and choose your own strength. Amazing carrot cake and millionaire’s shortbread. Didn’t get chance to try it but the bistro food looked and sounded incredible! Great space with lots of windows and plenty of room to move around. Would highly recommend to anyone passing by!

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

We called for lunch today as the menu looked good and the place was very busy - which is always a good sign.

The latte and cappuccino where hot and very nice, with decorations to the top.

We ordered a sandwich each for lunch, one ham and cheese in a crusty roll and one cheese and chutney in sliced bread this is where it all went down hill.

The ham was cheap thinly sliced with a slice of cheese not grated on what was supposed to be crusty but most definitely was not.

The cheese and chutney on white sliced - the bread was very fresh, but again it was 2 slices of cheese which didn’t fit the bread so parts of the sandwich with no filling and the chutney appeared to have been spread onto the bread and taken off again.

I really expected a nice grated cheese with a decent amount of chutney- the same with the ham a thick sliced ham with grated cheese.

For what we got I thought expensive processed ham and cheese

On the upside the service was good didn’t wait long for the

AmandaK1256, Owner at Sugar&Spice Cafe and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your lunch but I feel I have to reply as I feel you are being a bit harsh. None of the food we serve is of cheap quality and our many other reviews reflect this and we are very reasonably priced. Our baguettes are baked fresh daily and we use 3 slices of cheese on our cheese and chutney sandwiches not 2. These are not the processed cheese slices you get in a supermarket they are good quality mature cheddar slices. We do also have grated cheese but this is a mild cheddar for other dishes. You could have had grated if you had expressed a preference for it as we are always happy to accommodate. Our chutney is a very strong locally made chutney so we don’t put too much on as it would be too strong for most tastes, if you wanted any more then again all you needed to do was ask.
I’m glad you enjoyed your drinks and our service.