I booked the Glenburn as a Surprise for my Husbands 50th Birthday, and also arranged with our lovely friends from Scotland to stay at the Hotel, and share this lovely "Surprise" with us! Part of the reason for booking the Glenburn was based on the good reviews on trip advisor and being able to do a virtual tour of the Hotel & its rooms, plus, it was only a 5 minute walk into the shopping, restaurant & cafe area.
Before posting this review I read a review posted on the 3rd January by "SorrentoSun" and although we are all entitled to our own opinions which I respect, I dont know what planet they are on, but I cannot disagree with their comments enough!!!
On arrival at the Hotel, we were greeted by the Lovely owner Jackie, who spent time chatting with us, explained the dining arrangements and gave us a map of the local area. We were then shown to our room, which can I say was lovely. It was clean, fresh, modern with a very comfortable bed, and had a good sized bathroom. My only gripe would be that the shower was not as powerful as it looked.
Our evenings were spent in the lounge/bar area, enjoying drinks with our friends and the service at the bar we first class. The evening meals were lovely, a nice selection to choose from and very generous portions. The only thing I would say is that maybe the menu the following night could have had a few different choices on but that's just my opinion!
Breakfast the following morning was amazing, a fantastic choice of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts and also, a good selection of cooked to order, fresh hot breakfast options and lashings of hot buttered toast....Mmmm yummy!
The owner knew that I had booked this weekend break for my hubbie's 50th Birthday & that our friends arrival was as much a surprise to my husband as the break itself, and she made a point of coming over asking if he enjoyed his surprise and checked that we were happy with everything, this action by Jackie I felt was a lovely personal touch.
On summing up this Hotel, yes its not massive, but we wanted a smaller establishment that gave a more personal touch.! The owners are trying hard to maintain this property, and as long as they continue to make improvements and keep it priced at the mid range price bracket, then their very hard work will continue to pay off!
I would have no hesitation in recommending this Hotel and have already told my friends about it in work.
Before staying in the Glenburn I had never met the owner Jackie before in my life, and my comments I have posted are my own personal opinions on this Hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Highly acclaimed non smoking hotel with free leisure facilities, just 5 minutes walk from Windermere, new deluxe rooms with jacuzzi spa baths & rain showers, four poster beds, family rooms, self catering cottages, free parking, great restaurant & bar, just totally refubished to a high standard, outstanding in every way. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and LateRooms so you can book your The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Glenburn Hotel And Restaurant
- Glenburn Hotel Windermere
- The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant Windermere, Lake District