“Surprise for 50th Birthday”

The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I booked the Glenburn as a Surprise for my Husbands 50th Birthday, and also arranged with our lovely friends from Scotland to stay at the Hotel, and share this lovely "Surprise" with us! Part of the reason for booking the Glenburn was based on the good reviews on trip advisor and being able to do a virtual tour of the Hotel & its rooms, plus, it was only a 5 minute walk into the shopping, restaurant & cafe area.

Before posting this review I read a review posted on the 3rd January by "SorrentoSun" and although we are all entitled to our own opinions which I respect, I dont know what planet they are on, but I cannot disagree with their comments enough!!!

On arrival at the Hotel, we were greeted by the Lovely owner Jackie, who spent time chatting with us, explained the dining arrangements and gave us a map of the local area. We were then shown to our room, which can I say was lovely. It was clean, fresh, modern with a very comfortable bed, and had a good sized bathroom. My only gripe would be that the shower was not as powerful as it looked.
Our evenings were spent in the lounge/bar area, enjoying drinks with our friends and the service at the bar we first class. The evening meals were lovely, a nice selection to choose from and very generous portions. The only thing I would say is that maybe the menu the following night could have had a few different choices on but that's just my opinion!
Breakfast the following morning was amazing, a fantastic choice of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts and also, a good selection of cooked to order, fresh hot breakfast options and lashings of hot buttered toast....Mmmm yummy!
The owner knew that I had booked this weekend break for my hubbie's 50th Birthday & that our friends arrival was as much a surprise to my husband as the break itself, and she made a point of coming over asking if he enjoyed his surprise and checked that we were happy with everything, this action by Jackie I felt was a lovely personal touch.

On summing up this Hotel, yes its not massive, but we wanted a smaller establishment that gave a more personal touch.! The owners are trying hard to maintain this property, and as long as they continue to make improvements and keep it priced at the mid range price bracket, then their very hard work will continue to pay off!
I would have no hesitation in recommending this Hotel and have already told my friends about it in work.
Before staying in the Glenburn I had never met the owner Jackie before in my life, and my comments I have posted are my own personal opinions on this Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms 7 & 8 are lovely rooms, but I recommend doing the virtual tour its well worth it to ensure...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank JollyholsMerseyside
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2012

Thank you for your kind review. We just needed Cilla to walk in and shout Surprise Surprise. It must have taken weeks to organise his Birthday surprises without him finding out. Let's hope he does the same for you this year. Trip Advisor is an open book and all guests can write their personal views and yes some can cut to the core especially when we all work so hard to be please everyone .... but the good reviews like yours out way the bad ones and yes, we realise we do not come up to everyones expectations but after twenty something years in hospitality we have always tried our best to succeed.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

The staff made us welcome and the service and food were both good.
We did feel the Glenburn was more of a guest house than a hotel though - a little overpriced in comparison to others.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Thank you for your review and very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. People often ask me the difference between my hotel and a guest house. When guests come and stay at The Glenburn there is always a member of staff there to greet you and take you to your room and always a receptionist on duty from 8am until 11pm. There will always be someone to get you a drink at the bar until 11pm or give you complimentary coffee anytime. We serve dinner 7 nights a week. We check in from 2.30pm until 11pm and you don't have to back before a certain time. These little things contribute to being a 2* hotel or on the other hand I could be probably rated a 4* guest house and not have to provide any of these facilities but we are happy as we are. I think that my prices were very fair especially compared to what other hotels were charging over the Xmas period and god value for money for what was included in the price.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

As part of our friend's surprise 50th birthday celebrations we met up at the Glenburn for what proved to be a very enjoyable visit. I do not normally read "tripadvisor" type reports in advance as they can sometimes spoil the anticipation of an event that was in this case planned by others. On this occasion I have done so on return and I feel compelled to write as my view is completely at odds with the experience of a previous reviewer.

I also take the time to point out that I am not connected with this establishment in any way whatsoever (as seemed to be the accusation of a previous reviewer). Furthermore, as someone who spends 4 nights of the working week, every week, in a variety of hotels I consider myself well qualified to pass comment.

This hotel, like all others, shares one thing in common with the four and five star hotels that I usually live in, it is not perfect. There are various small things that could be improved, but they are not significant and are far outweighed by the positives. This is after all a small privately owned hotel and all expectations should be in keeping with that.

The staff were few but provided an excellent service even when we kept them up to "stupid o'clock" at night running after our needs at the bar. The bar itself could not be faulted and provides an excellent range of drinks, although the malt whisky stocks will require to be replenished. In terms of bar prices they were equivalent to most decent pubs (or so I am told). We found the atmosphere in the bar to be superb. At no time did the staff "hover" over you but they were available immediatly when they were needed, an important detail for me.

We ate in the restaurant both nights and cannot rate the food highly enough both in quality and quantity. We are led to believe that the resident chef was not around and therefore can only wonder as too how much better the food could have got! Breakfast provided a selection of freshly cooked hot food (yes there was a "full English") together with a cold buffet and cereal for those that wanted it and lashings of freshly toasted bread. There was none of the "cooked food kept tepid with heat lamps" nonsense that larger chains get away with. The beetroot and horseradish sauce warrants special mention. The restaurant boasts a more than decent menu for this size of hotel and could be marketed in its own right as a stand alone facility.

All of this goes for nought if the bed is uncomfortable, happily our bed was superb as was the heating in the room and the quality of the en-suite shower outflow. In addition to the expected tea & coffee facilities (a hot chocolate would have been nice.... but that is a wish too many even for larger hotels) we had a flat screen tv with a full range of channels and an excellent signal. Oh, and there was bottled water in the room. There was also no sound transferrence from adjoining rooms, which can spoil many a hotel. The rooms were not massive, however they were of ample size and compared well with most hotels of this type. The curtains looked as if they had recently been re-newed and provided excellent "black out" qualities for those that had been draining the stocks of malt whisky.

Cleanliess throughout was above what I consider normal, although it was not quite 100%. It could be seen that the property had been the subject of signifcant maintenance investment. Hopefully maintenance will continue as this is a large property to maintain and could go downhill quickly if it slips. Access to the rear car park is past the kitchen and not everyone welcomes a view of the internal workings of the kitchen.

Parking was off road and the peace and quiet of the area was only distrubed by the sounds of the stream at the bottom of the car park. The outside "beer garden" would be pleasant on a summer's night but not on a January afternoon (or night).

In terms of price I felt we got excellent value for money. The final judgement on a hotel for leisure (as opposed to business) is "would I go back?", in this instance the answer is a resounding "yes". The owners are to be commended and urged to "keep up the good work".

BJ

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write your review I really appreciate it. I didn't know birthdays could go on as long as yours did. You certainly had your share of surprises. Better start saving for that diamond ring for your good ladies birthday. We will continue with the good work at The Glenburn. Hope we see you again sometime.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

After our second stay at The Glenburn Hotel over the christmas period I have one word to sum up our stay 'EXCELLENT'. Peter and Jackie the owners and there staff made us feel very welcome and we had a wonderful christmas break. We ate in the restaurant 3 nights and the food was out of this world. The room was decorated to high standards and the room was serviced each morning and very clean. Breakfast had plenty variety my husband stuck with the full english breakfast which he said was excellent. Included in our stay was a lake cruise, wine, chocolates, mince pies and mulled wine on arrival it was all very nice and nothing was ever a bother if you needed anything else. I think the hotel is under rated at 2 stars as it is certainly more. Following our christmas day dinner the whole of the restaurant were so delighted with the effort the owners and staff had put in to make our day so special we invited them all to restaurant and we gave them a standing round of applause. Well done Peter and Jackie to you and your wonderful team we will not hestitate to return again and recommend you to all of our friends. P.S thanks again for the mince pies you gave us for my mum she loved them.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for this nice review. So glad your mum liked the mince pies you will have to bring her with you sometime so we can share recipies. Thank you for the round of applause I was very touched and it was good to feel appreciated for the hard work. See you again soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

Just returned from a New Years package deal at this hotel. We were really looking forward to it as we had friends of ours from Dublin coming also. I did my usual trip advisor research before hand and as far as I could see the hotel had good reviews - I was also impressed with their website and the virtual tour of all the rooms.

Well I can't tell you how disappointed I and everybody with me was when we arrived. The reception area leaves a lot to be desired - its a b&b and its shabby and in need of big refurbishment and updating. I had paid a deposit before hand otherwise I would have left immediately plus the receptionist was very keen to take full payment on arrival (Im not surprised) Please check my other reviews as I consider myself to be an honest reviewer and will give credit where credit is due.

Well we went to our rooms which were basic with tiny bathrooms - our room had hooks hanging off doors and there was a musty damp smell. Clearly the owners are not pushed to maintain things.

By the way I've looked at the other reviews of this 'hotel' and am amazed at how many are so good. I really can only put it down to the owners making up these reviews and who ever is doing the website, well they are excellent at portraying something that isn't true. Really the owners should be ashamed of themselves.

Anyway back to the room. The hairdryer blew up and the tv was tiny 15in (a pc monitor). There was no sky so another lie and the aerial kept falling out.

Now on to the food. It was all so AVERAGE I can't tell you. Breakfast was edible but you wouldn't indulge. Walking past the kitchen to the car park my partner saw into the kitchen and it was full of value products cheap but not so cheerful. No expense spared for New Years Eve meal either again all so Average. No atmosphere as they had dreadful depressing looped music i.e. 'Nobody's child'

I find it interesting that one of the owners 'Colin' has been mentioned so much in the reviews - he was never around only one evening when he returned from a pub.

The only positive thing I have to say about this hotel and its owners are the staff that they have employed. As you would expect friendly, hard working and polite Polish people. I just hope they are being paid fairly. These owners are no fools when it comes to pulling a fast one and as trade is so regular in the Lake district they are getting away with it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank SorrentoSun

I would like to thank the guest for this review. May i firstly apologise because the kingsized bed was not big enough for you when you were shown to your room on arrival and that the bath sheets were also not big enough for you. I am disapointed that you felt that the hotel was shabby and in need of a refurbishment because it is far from being this and equally as nice as some 4 and 5* establishments in the area. You admit that you liked what you saw on our website and the virtual tour which would show you every aspect of the room which you booked. I spent quite a lot of time chatting with the guests and constanly asked if everthing was fine and not once were there any complaints. They loved my homemade scones, mince pies. I made phone calls for them even assisted in defrosting their cars for them so there was every opportunity to discuss anything they were not happy with. The owner is not called Colin his name is Peter and he was in the kitchen all night as kitchen porter washing up and we were both there along with my Polish staff (whom I treat very well and pay very well ) to wish guests a Happy New Year along with Jules Holland whom I don't think sang nobody's child.
The hairdryer is in perfect working order and we do not advertise anywhere that we have Sky television. Lastly I would like to point out that contrary to what these guests think we are not fools and we have to work very hard to keep standards high and the regular trade is no more in this economic climate but we love what we do and will continue to give a warm welcome to everyone.