“Get the road moved and you could be in heaven”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Prenton, United Kingdom
“Get the road moved and you could be in heaven”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

First time here and have to say loved it.
Having not stayed before or visited the lakes in a few years I booked this 'blind' and after speaking to friends and colleagues AND checking out the reviews on Trip advisor.

The hotel is on the North end of Windermere just outside of Ambleside and is well located for local visiting whatever your interests.

One small point, if you look at the online pictures of this (from the lake) it gives the impression that the hotel seamlessly works its way down to the water, there is in fact a rather 'busy' road between the lake and the hotel.
I paid a premium of £26 per night for a lake view room, it's true to say we got one however, a) I'm not sure when the same view is free from the hotel lounge that the small benefit (given how little time we spent in our room) how benefical it is to spend such a premium sum. b) with the lake view of course (knowing what i do now) with the lake view comes the overlooking the road and the noise of the traffic to accompany it. Don;t get me wrong, I'm glad we did it once but on future visits (yes, we will definitely be back) I'll gladly give the bedroom view and traffic noise a miss.
Staff are incredibly polite here, the hotel Management should be very proud of the level of customer service offered by their team.
Breakfast was a great experience, situated in the main, spacious and light large restaurant the array of food was amazing. From Croissants to brioche to chocalte petit-pain, cereals, to fresh fruit galore, all the usual hot foods plus things like potato bread and porridge. It's all buffet style with the exception of your hot drinks.
For tea lovers, I found the hotel's approach quirky, how often has your tea been too strong or too weak? Here you have quanint tins on your table with a variety of teas in and you are brought a thermal jug of boiling water to make your own. It's simple but such a nice touch. Same goes in the rooms, never in my literally thousands of nights in hotels have I come across a cafetierre and ground coffee to drink. It's things like this that make a hotel stand out to me.
The hotel has an apparently fantastic leisure club though our time didn't permit us using this time but we plan to next time.

The lounge is beautiful spacious chairs and sofas, log fires burning, polite efficient staff and the view of the lake.

I booked this hotel on a 'third party' offer and got exceptional value for money, it was slightly disappointing therefore when I enquired about extending our stay to cover the Friday night that the hotel wanted to charge me more for the friday night than I paid for the two night offer. Shame, had they been happy to charge just a slight premium to our special rate (say to around £80) I would have jumped at it, I felt £140 for one night was steep. That said it appears the Lake District hotels in general seem to feel that as a 'resort' they can charge a significant premium of a weekend for checkintg out prices on comparison websites the majority feel £100 per night for a weekend is acceptable, good luck if they get it. The slight irony on this was on checking out we were supplied with a voucher offering us the same room rate break deal as we had booked via the third party valid for Sun-Thurs, so they obviously want your custom.

Not a negative more advice from one who has stayed. The (spacious) carpark is situated at the rear of the buildings is when loaded down with luggage a bit of a hike and if your are disabled (we aren't) following the sign to reception leads you to steps and no ramp. My recommendation whether abled bodied or not is pull onto the front of the hotel where you can unload your car straight into the main reception and then go park.

Can't wait to go back to this small piece of heaven, that is the hotel and the region.

Room Tip: Decide if you want a lake view room but be advised it (at the time of writing) carries a premium of...
2 Thank Andrew S
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Guest, thank you so much for the thorough and detailed review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. You mention in your review that the management should be very proud of the team, I can assure you we are, the team are our strongest asset and I will ensure your comments are passed on to each of our team members. It was pleasing to read that you also enjoyed the breakfast in the restaurant and well as our hot beverage provisions throughout the hotel. I am sorry that you did not get the opportunity to visit the leisure club, the hot tub is most certainly worth a visit – hopefully next time! I will look into the points you made regarding the rooms priced for additional nights, we do have different rates which all depend on the availability of the day, weekends are often quite busy periods and our rates often reflect this, we do offer discounted return stays which are subject to availability, it is always worth asking to speak to the Duty Manager who may often have more room to discount for guests in house. Once again thank you for your review and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Thai first
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We booked this Hotel for our silver wedding anniversary and as our sixteen year old son was coming with us we wanted somewhere we could keep him entertained if the weather was bad. We stayed in the main building in a feature room which was a large room with two windows overlooking the lake and a jacuzzi bath which was great.
The spa and sports facilities were fantastic including squash which we played every day.The hot tub was a new experience for me being outside in a bath in February didn't seem too appealing but again it was brilliant, an experience not to be missed.
All the staff who I came in contact with in the hotel and the spa club were very pleasant and helpful.
We booked bed and breakfast and again the breakfast was very good with a vast choice in a nice setting. The service again was very efficient.
In summary we had a fantastic weekend and would be more than happy to return to this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your recent review and congratulations once again on your silver wedding anniversary. I was very pleased to read that your family enjoyed your recent stay in-spite of the awful weather we experienced. The hot tub is definitely as you say an experience not to be missed and I am glad you enjoyed the leisure facilities and the squash courts. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Working in the travel industry for 16 years I have travelled and stayed at many hotels.... This was just a last minute valentine break and what great value for money!! The hotel is perfect for a romantic break!! We stayed on a superbreak deal 1st nt dinner and the food was amazing!! If your after a good price book through superbreak and look at 2 night offers or 1st night dinner offer.... The spa and lesiure facilities are really good and the staff are really helpful and friendly.... Working as a manager for first choice holidays I would recommend this hotel to any of my clients.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Lisanluke1
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your recent review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your last minute Valentines Break and that you thought the hotel is great value for money. I will ensure that your review is communicated to all our team especially the chef and the leisure club team. It is great to read that you will happily recommended us to your clients and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Manchester, England
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We booked a weekend's break with Superbreak and couldn't have asked for a better weekend! As other posters have mentioned the 'out building' is slightly disappointing in terms of decor and overall comfort but the hotel in general makes up for this! There are beautiful touches such as burning log fires and a huge breakfast choice and the staff are attentive and thoughtful. Our shower and heating were broken and we were immediately upgraded to a Lake Feature room at no extra cost which I would book instead (without hesitation!) for any future visits!
The leisure club is fantastic but sadly again as other posters have mentioned a little too full of children (the steam room was also temporarily out of use during our visit). The location however is excellent and everyone works so hard to make sure you have an incredible break and i cannot wait for our next visit!

2 Thank Moonshine79
Dear Guest, thank you so much for the lovely review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed the restaurant at breakfast as well as the burning log fires. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
North West
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Having booked on a web deal, we chose to go to the Low Wood hotel for a post-christmas pre-valentines break. Overall the hotel's main building is very nice, and the staff are really attentive, welcoming and thoughtful. The restaurant (which we only ate in at breakfast as decided for dinner to go elsewhere) was very nicely decorated and I would imagine has good ambience for an evening meal. The breakfast itself was lovely, with plenty of options for a contintental as well as cooked breakfast (including vegetarian sausages!).

Our room was a little disappointing, but having booked on a deal we didnt expect the best of rooms. It was in far building (not the main one) which was connected to the main building by a labyrinth of corridors. These were well signed though so we didnt get lost.
To be honest though I would say the room wasnt 4* level at all. It was freezing cold, and we had to have the radiator on max constantly; the bathroom was ridiculously cold with freezing slate tiles on the floor, whcih were nice looking but too cold to walk on! It was reasonably decorated but I would say tired - the bathroom tiles needed regrouting as had gone a bit orangey between tiles, and also the sealant was coming away by the walls. The TV was good, and towels and linens were nice too. The sleep quality however wasnt great - partly because the room was too cold and partly as we could hear people snoring in the next rooms.

The leisure facilities, although we didnt use, seemed really good if you were in a family - as a couple though there were a few too many shouty kids for us. The Cafe Del Lago in the leisure centre overlooking a lake had nice food, and a great view. It would be far better though for it to be marginally more individual - it has a mediterranean name - why no inspired menu?

I would reccomend the hotel for a family, but for a couple the rooms are a bit too much of a let-down though I imagine they're better in the main building.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your recent review – I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel’s communal areas to be very nice and that you found our staff to be attentive, welcome and thoughtful. We are always happy to read any reviews from our guests on trip advisor, as feedback is essential, I would however like to take this opportunity to apologise for the room being cold, and the areas of which were not up to standards in terms of grouting. I was pleased that you did like the other amenities with the rooms at the hotel. We do have a large range of room types starting with house rooms leading up to Luxury rooms with our with our lake views, should you wish to visit the hotel again in the future please contact me directly and I will be only to happy to allocate you the best room type available to show you the overall excellent standards of rooms that we have at Low Wood Bay. Thank you once again for your review and I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team, I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager