“Birthday Break”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Birthday Break”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We stayed on the 23-24 February for my Wife's birthday, we booked one of the special offers they had on the website ie book two nights b&b in one of their double rooms and get FREE evening meals on both nights, absolute bargain is the only way to describe this offer !!!!,
We initially booked for room 15 which although a little on the small side was spotlessly clean with everything you could wish for and and we would have been quite happy to spend the couple of days in that room, but on the first evening we got talking to the manager and he very generously upgraded our room to a suite free of charge and WOW what a room the bed was absolutley huge and the bathroom was amazing, the food was second to none and nothing was too much trouble for the staff at the hotel. We will be recommending this hotel to all our friends and family and cant wait for our next visit to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rhinos-thruandthru

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Carnforth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed here on Tuesday 5th January 2012 for one night as it was our staff xmas party that night and I don't live locally. Seeing as I work for Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel I was interested in staying here and comparing the rooms and hotel, I wasn't dissappointed I stayed in the deluxe Room 5 and I walked in very happy it was lovely and warm and very clean. Now I used to be an professional cleaner for a five star gold etablishment so as usual I did my inspections my only fault would be but only minor is the glass door on bath was not clean, if you walk into bathroom it looks spotless but if you bend down and look up you could just see finger prints and loads of marks however this is only minor and I mean it as constructive critcism also a little dusty. The bath however the plug seemed broken personnally I think this is unacceptable for a five star etablishment however it didn't ruin my mood or stay. The only bad thing for me which was very annoying is the pillows are terrible and the bed in room 5 is so hard its like sleeping on the main road which I wasn't impressed with. Very nice bedding though from New Wave Linen if I were to guess. I missed breakfast as the bed isnt comfy so I overslept. Thats another point breakfast is only served from 8am til 9am which is very bad. It should be 7am til 10am. It would be nice to have an evening meal included in your price for rooms at no extra cost.
Beautiful Hotel and building will certainly be back and can't wait. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jack R
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

we stayed for 2 nights from the 17th february 2012 and took advantage of the offer which included dinner bed and breakfast for £206 per couple per night we found this excellent value for money for the accomodation and quality of food on offer, we stayed in room 7 which has an amazing bathroom but the bedroom is a little smaller than we had expected but the bathroom made up for it.
the quality of the building and attention to detail is fantastic im always looking for faults and couldn't find anything that i could pick fault with,
i would recomend if you book and the evening meal offer isnt on that you pay that liitle bit more and eat in the restaurant, the food and the quality is fantastic.

Room Tip: room 7 has an amazing bathroom
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the applegarth villa for one night and I don't think we will be returning. It was a last minute booking as we missed out on the hotel we really wanted - Windermere Boutique Hotel, and we also stayed on a saturday and usually have to stay for a minimim of 2 nights at the weekend. Thank goodness we didnt. We stayed in room 18 and paid £170 for one night bed and breakfast! We are both students and so this was a complete one off for my birthday treat- and for a 5 star hotel we expected a heck of a lot more than what we got! Although in the photos the room looks nice and it is, it is very claustrophobic and rather small. The room is a basement room and eye level with the patio chair legs outside! Of course non of this is on the website. The bathroom is also very small and although nicely finished it was just not what we were expecting. Maybe a few fluffy towels and two bathrobes rather than just the one we were given would have made it slightly better! The room was nice but rather plain and the bed and pillows were a bit too hard! The tea tray was appallingly bad. Tucked in the bottom of a wardrobe with 2 tea bags, 2 UHT milk cartons and 2 rubbishy little biscuits- definitely not what you would expect from a supposed 5* establishment! A few soft lighting lamps wouldn't have gone amiss either! The two owners left a little to be desired also. The lady was chatty but that was about it and who I'm guessing was her husband was very off hand, almost rude. I felt like because we were obviously young and perhaps did not look like we belonged there that we were almost not even worth bothering with. We weren't helped with our bags or shown to our room and were never asked if we enjoyed our stay. The breakfast wasn't great either. Not a massive amount of choice and the poached eggs i had were tasteless and a bit soggy. Checking out time was half 10 and I thought that was completely ridiculous- especially as we could only check in from 3pm! As we are not used to staying in hotels we were unsure of the etiquette for complaining! My boyfriend hates complaining anyway and didn't want to make a fuss- but now I really wish I had! Having seen the reviews on here after I am unsure as to whether our complaints would have even been listened to by the owners. Luckily we had a great time in the Lakes- the snow made it even better! However this had nothing to do with the Applegarth Villa and would dissuade anyone from spending their money here. Perhaps the other rooms are a lot nicer and we just got a dud, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't risk it again! Although it is ideally situated in windermere and the hotel on the outside looks lovely, there are many b&bs in the area that could give you a lot more value for money! If only the owners were more friendly and were perhaps more interested in serving and pleasing their guests than just taking their money I would be more inclined to give this hotel a better review. The Lake District is faultless and beautiful- unlike this hotel. What a waste of money!

• Stayed February 2012
7 Thank Bokie_boo
Lancashire
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed at the Applegarth in January 2011(Room 7). It was a truly romantic & memorable stay, made all the more special by the lovely owners, Alan and Suzanne. So when going back for our second visit (which we have just arrived home from) our expectations were high. On this occasion we stayed in room 2 and the room excelled are expectations. It looked beautiful on the website but you have to see it to appreciate just how amazing it really is. Again our stay was made all the more special by Alan and Suzanne's efforts to make us feel welcome. They truly are lovely people and will go to any effort to ensure you have a wonderful stay. We are already planning our third stay and are counting down the days. I would highly recommend the dinner, bed & breakfast package as the food is the beautiful and great value for money. PLEASE do not be put off by any negative reviews. I appreciate everyone is entitled to an opinion but you will notice that it is only people who have booked the smaller rooms that have had something negative to say. You get what you pay for and I feel these people expect the luxury of the more expensive rooms for the same price as the smaller rooms. Once again a huge thank you to Alan and Suzanne. We cant wait to come back!!!! xx

Room Tip: Room 2 is simply perfect , with a huge comfortable bed, amazing bathroom and with the most beautiful...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
3.2 km away
3.4 km away
The Ryebeck
The Ryebeck
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Applegarth Villa and Restaurant? Share your experiences!