“Breakfast: Curate's Egg WIth No Yoghurt”

Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Breakfast: Curate's Egg WIth No Yoghurt”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

It is painful to write this in a way. But I have to be honest. This is a marvellous hotel in many ways. My partner and I had a wonderful weekend, helped by the glorious weather. But there were lapses which were so serious that I feel I must qualify the excellent reviews given by others.

First the good points. The staff and owners were exceptionally kind and helpful. The rooms and public areas are comfortable and attractive.It is easy to relax. The food is very well prepared. We had dinner on three nights andm despite the comments I will make below, the food itself was excellent. One dish I had, a carrot veloute soup with langoustine ravioli, was quite simply brilliant. Ziggy behind the bar is a star, with great understanding of wine. The young pastry chef took great pains, under direction from the owners, to prepare delicious desserts specially formulated to meet my needs as a diabetic.This included a fantastic diabetic souffle specially made for me. All of this is deeply appreciated.

But how was it that a hotel of this standard ran out of yoghurt at breakfast, so that a waiter, to his overt discomfort, had to tell the couple at the next table that he could not complete their order? He wondered whether they would like fruit instead. This was not the only occasion on which the hotel ran out of ingredients.The dinner menu is enticing but short. There is a special starter each evening and a special fish main course. On night 2 the kitchen ran out of the fish special (bream). A small luxury hotel should have treated this as a warning to the wise and moved heaven and earth to respond. But on night 3.the fish special (cod) ran out again. This was serious for me as my diabetic diet means that I eat alot of fish and I had already tried the bass on the main menu. I decided to break my diet as a special treat and have the pork dish which I had been secretly coveting all weekend, But that had run out as well. These failings, combined with an emphasis on root vegetables, cheaper cuts of meat such as cheek and fishes from the mid price range made us wonder whether the kitchen had an adequate budget.

The service in the restaurant is enthusiastic but lacks direction. It is too slow (especially at breakfast). There needs to be better coordination and training. On all three evenings when we ordered wine we asked at the outset that it should be poured with our main course. Yet before that was served we were asked five or six times by different members of staff whether we would like our wine poured straightaway. This was well intentioned but irritating. When we ordered jerusalem artichoke, our very kind and helpful waitress asked whether we had had the artichoke before only for it become clear that she had no notion of the difference between a jerusalem and a globe.

I hope this is constructive. This is an expensive hotel and although it has a nice position, it lacks spectacular views. It needs to be perfect. We would go again. But I would hope to see a significant improvement in the areas which disappointed us this time.

10 Thank Anthony G
Gilpin_Lodge, Owner at Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Anthony,

Thank you for your review. It is very fair comment - we did run out of a lot of things, and don't feel that we were up to standard on this. It is sometimes difficult to judge on the quantities and here we clearly didn't get it right. We're really sorry it wasn't good, the incredible weather had brought out a lot more people and as a result we found ourselves caught short.

The menu you had during your stay was the winter menu (hence the root veg); the beef cheek is served with fillet, and the fish vary (although cod is no longer inexpensive!). The new spring/summer menu begins on 9th April.

Your comments regarding the restaurant service are also fair. We do spend a lot of time and effort on training yet clearly didn't deliver on various aspects.

You are absolutely right that we didn't get it right that weekend. Please trust us, we will.

Kind regards,
Zoe.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Middlesbrough
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Top hotel. Top staff. Top food. 5 star all the way!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank david d
Gilpin_Lodge, Owner at Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Top review! Thank you so much, hope to see you again soon. Zoe x
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

This small but perfectly formed hotel ticks all the boxes. We enjoyed fabulous food, in comfortable surroundings, with excellent service, a really relaxing environment. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff at Gilpin and the attention to detail at breakfast and dinner all add to the experience. We had a jnr. suite with a lovely view of the lamas. The décor throughout the hotel is luxurious, interesting and well thought out.

This is a lovely location just a few minutes in the car from Lake Windermere, with beautiful views everywhere you look and lots of photo opportunities. We would definitely recommend this hotel for a special occasion or just when your feeling like you need to be pampered.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked lovely on the website - we choose Thirlmere which had a great view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely post - attention to detail is one of our raison d'etres, and we are lucky to have great staff. We all take great pride in what we do, and genuinely enjoy striving to get it right, so thank you for letting us know when we do! Zoe x
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We traditionally go for a weekend blowout in Majorca for our company board meeting, however this year we decided to try somewhere closer to home. The Lakes are just over an hour from home, and our 'Tripadvisor Friend' told us about Gilpin Lodge. We trust their opinion and booked our weekend away.

We were greated at the main house by Taryn, a delightful lady, who checked us in in seconds, and arranged to meet us at our garden suite. By the time we had driven to the garden suites, and parked, she was already there waiting for us. The garden suites are above the main hotel building and have recently been built.

We were booked into Sergeant Mann, which we chose since it is very private. The suites closer to the front entrance are apparently less private.

The room was beautifully furnished with a super king bed, sofa, desk and chairs. All swish and new. Between the bedroom/lounge area and the bathroom is a dressing area which has a huge cupboard that has a mini bar in it plus kettle etc on top. Plenty of wardrobe space and safe.

The bathroom is huge, with large walk-in shower, massive bath, fluffy robes and slippers. Molton Browne products (large bottles!).

Through the patio doors in the bedroom is the deck, which has two wooden sun loungers, coffee table and a hot tub. The beauty of this area is that it is totally private, with only the hotel lamas for company! They are over a fence though.

We had booked dinner for 8.30, so were advised that our pre dinner drinks and canapes were ready from 7.30 in the bar.

You enter the hotel through the rear, walking past a few of the standard rooms, and down the stairs to the drawing room and bar area. All very muted creams and greens with plush sofas and antiques. It is fairly formal and we had ensured that we dressed appropriately - I would not have felt massively comfortable without a jacket, or at least a freshly pressed shirt. Mrs M-B was in a suitable dress.

They make a good margarita and served a beautifully chilled Lake District lager. Canapes were intricate and delicious.

We had opted for dinner, bed and breakfast, so it was pretty straight forward on the ordering. I think that we had beef, duck, lamb and pork over the two nights but cannot really remember! The menu was the same for both nights and the choice is not massive, but we were more than happy. We also chose the wine that went accompanied each dish.

Again, I cannot remember exactly what wine we had, but I do recall it being EXCELLENT! The chief wine man, Ziggy, is obviously hugely passionate about his wines. He comes and tells you about every wine, in detail, when it arrives. I feel that his patter may be wasted slightly on everyone, but I loved it.

The staff are not what make Gilpin Lodge, since the hotel, rooms, food and wine speak for themselves, but I do think that the staff definately diserve a mention. I think I worked out who the owners were, who were very welcoming, but all the staff clearly were proud of Gilpin Lodge and proud to work there (something that cannot be said about other hotels in the Lakes, or elsewhere!). They do not rush around after you because that is their job, they just seem to provide excellent service because that is what they do. I liked it and other hotels should learn from them.

After dinner we retired to the hot tub for a night cap or two and a cigar. Very civilised. Very private.

We had breakfast the following morining fairly late - we arrived just before ten, but didn't finish until pretty much eleven. Breakfast is very good. I had poached haddock with a hollandaise sauce on a muffin - a first!

We had booked into the spa, which is at the MacDonald Hotel in Windermere. This is an arrangement that Gilpin Lodge have for their guests. Mrs M-B had a facial while I went for a run on a treadmill and watched the rugby. It kind of makes you appreciate how good Gilpin Lodge is when you go to the MacDonald spa. It is nice enough but basic, although they do have a funky fusion shower (or something like that) that had different coloured lights and aromas!

Mrs M-B said the facial was poor, as was her therapist.

We then had a mad dash to the Sharrow Bay hotel on Ullswater for afternoon tea. We were late but it was good. I would recommend it - even at £25 per person. We drank alot of tea and many cakes, all beautifully presented. Great view over Ullswater from the tables (all by windows!). Unfortunately Mrs M-B started feeling ill from the moment we left.

We returned to Gilpin Lodge for a late afternoon nap - at least Mrs M-B did, I sat in the hot tub ready her new Louise Bagshaw novel!

We had a repeat of the previous nights drinks and dinner, but cut short due to wife illness. The staff were all very concerned - especially as we had to leave dinner before desert.

The following day we had breakfast in bed - awesome - particularly as I accidently ordered two breakfasts, by mistake. The best sausages I have had in a long time.

Reception buzzed us and asked what time we would like to leave - check out is at eleven and they were more than happy for us to check out at twelve. In fact we didn't leave until half tweleve. Absolutely no problem.

We paid our bill and departed.

Conclusion - Excellent. We will come back next year and get our desert!

You cannot really fault a hotel like this. Everything is done so well. Someone did manage to put a round of drinks onto our tab by mistake, but this was quickly refunded onto my card - I didn't notice until after I had paid.

On the second night someone forgot to bring out the wine to accompany my pre-appertiser. I din't notice until my starter came with the wrong wine. Ziggy immediately noticed but it caused all sorts of confusion - obviously throwing all the next course wines out of sync. It was actually quite amusing since they clearly have a very slick wine pouring strategy and are not used to mistakes!

After we departed we went for a wander round Windermere - went shopping and ate fish and chips on a park bench - back to reality - ha ha!

Total cost was about £1200 for two nights all in. Cheaper than Majorca and home in an hour - bliss.

Room Tip: Garden Suites at the back are more private.
1 Thank TheYoungLaird
Thank you for your lovely review, and for taking the time for such detail! Firstly apologies for the mistakes that were made, and another thank you for your understanding - things do occassionally go awry, and if they do we always put our hands up! We have 2 options for spa at the main hotel, either at the Old England or also we have therapists that come to your room to do treatments, perhaps this might be preferable? As always your comments will be read by all the staff, so Ziggy and Taryn will bask in the particular mentions! To us the staff do make Gilpin - the decor, location, food and wine can be perfect, but without the people it would be impossible to create the atmosphere that we have. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you again soon. Zoe x
Cumbria
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This is a fantastic hotel. Both times we have visited we have stayed in a Garden Suite (with a hot tub - well worth paying the extra!) and both rooms (Haystacks and Cat Bells) are beautifully decorated with lovely attention to detail.

The food is wonderful. We enjoyed lunch, dinner and breakfast and for each meal we couldn't understand why Gilpin does not have a Michelin star?! The service was very attentive and professional but not at all stuffy. We liked that the staff were friendly and approachable - all made us feel very welcome.

We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Book a garden suite!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kt_proud
Thank you, your review is very kind - and we're so glad you are returning, it really is the biggest compliment. I particularly love your comment about not being stuffy, this is something we specifically aim for! We look forward to seeing you again. Zoe x
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
3.5 km away
9.8 km away
Lakeside Hotel
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge

Been to Gilpin Hotel & Lake House? Share your experiences!