1,216 results
All reviewsfamily roombunk bedsjacuzzi and steam roomlovely hotelrestaurant staffreception areaswimming pooldressing gownsrelaxing staypublic areascoffee machinestayed here for one nightleisure facilitiesopen firechanging roomsfresh milklittle touches
Reviewed 3 August 2016

Booked for business and I have to say the rate was a tad over my normal level. However, I was at an evening meeting in Penrith and it was holiday season, so it's to be expected.

Efficient check in. Found my room easily. Very comfortable and clean and tidy. Everything worked as it should and the window opened to allow fresh air in which is a must in summer.

I went to the bar for a beer, which again was served efficiently with a friendly smile. I entered the restaurant to be greeted with more smiling faces and was politely seated and handed a menu.

After making selections, I was ushered to the cold platter buffet area, where a huge range of deli delights awaited. Ham, Beef, Smoked Salmon, Langoustines, Eggs, Cheeses, Pickles, Salads and dips. I plated my requirements and went back to my table to start. What a wonderful plates of fresh flavours to activates the taste buds and such a healthy mix too. More hotels should do this.

My main of Fish and Chips was very tasty and well cooked and left me feeling full, so no dessert tonight.

I retired to my room and slept soundly until the birds woke me up for breakfast, which was another wonderful affair. Service again was top quality. Both the regular and cooked offerings were very good.

Check out was easy and I was on my way down the M6 in a jiffy.

I like this hotel. It does go the extra mile in it's offering, both for accommodation and food. However, the price is still a little too much at £160 for DBB plus a couple of drinks. At £125, it would be a dead cert.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Antony_Penny, General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2016

Thank you for the feedback. We pride ourselves on the small details making a big difference and Im glad all these things made sure it was a wonderful affair for you.

Reviewed 1 August 2016

The description of a spa hotel conjures up certain images, pleasant ones... I suggest you forget all those.

Location: The outside appearance of the hotel is uninspiring, looking like an aquamarine 3 story army barracks but it is very handy to get to from the M6 - its right next to it (you can tell from the traffic noise in your room throughout the night). The hotel is advertised as having great walks from the doorstop but in reality its located in a triangle of land about a mile from the town, sided by the M6, along with some run down residential housing and a selection of industrial units, mainly garage and car related. It's on the wrong side of the M6 as far as the Lakes are concerned, so you effectively have to drive to the start of any nice walk/hike, but they are only 10 to 15 minutes drive away, so not all bad.

Despite referring to itself as a spa hotel, it appears to be mainly marketed to families and the clientele reflected this - parents and lots of kids. With not a lot else to do, they all go swimming in the spa, which leads to...

The spa area (pool, Jacuzzi, 2x single sex saunas, gym, treatment rooms and group exercise areas, etc) might be large enough for a hotel that has less than half the rooms that North Lakes does, but in short the facilities are inadequate. It's also used as a gym by locals. Result: very crowded and noisy (screaming kids), not relaxing at all. The gym is fully equipped but the equipment has all seen better days. The sauna was good though.

The room: Comfy bed with nice sheets and pillows. Very nicely appointed visually but it was small, too hot and no temperature control/aircon. The room cools down if you leave the window open but then you have the sound of the M6 all night.

Price: £150 a night (we stayed 2 nights). Now I don't that's an unreasonable price for a decent spa hotel, but it felt like daylight robbery here. The main reason for this is not just the details above, but that the hotel was being refitted during our stay, so going to and from the room in dressing gowns to the spa meant literally travelling through a building site with dust and dirt on the floor, holes in the walls, bare wires hanging out of ceilings (which I hope weren't live, but wouldn't have put my faith in it), a blocked off stairwell, etc etc. Just unpleasant. We couldn't even relax in the room during the day as the workman were causing merry hell just outside the door. Not their fault, they're just doing their job - but I don't expect to pay full price for a completely compromised experience.
And just in case there's a patronising managers response saying "if only you'd made us aware, we'd have done blah blah blah". We did and they didn't.

Good things... the reception, bar and dining areas are really nicely decorated and are pleasant places to be, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast, both choice and quality, was also very good (although I prefer either a self-service buffet or table service, there's something less enjoyable about a served buffet).

The above positives stop this being a 1 star review, but I'd avoid the hotel anyway if you're looking for a relaxing spa hotel, especially if you're a couple. Even if the building work has finished, this is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MPiddock
Antony_Penny, General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2016

Thank you for your review and may I say how genuinely sorry I am that you left disappointed. With 77% of reviewers rating us as Very Good or Excellent, I do not believe that your review is wholly representative of our offering and would hope that readers would put it into perspective on that basis. If you were minded to give us another try, then please contact me personally to handle your booking, when not only can I organise the very best possible rate for you, but also ensure that you are looked after superbly.

Reviewed 31 July 2016

We made a late decision to change where we were staying overnight so this was a last minute find. Hotel check in staff were very accommodating and friendly. Had a great bar meal and breakfast was excellent. Outside of hotel does not prepare you for how nice the Inside of hotel is. Pool was great. All round one of our favorite places to stay on our travels round the UK

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Antony_Penny, General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2016

Glad you made the late decision and hope to see you again. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed 29 July 2016

Nice hotel, good for family trip. Great location just off the M6. Super breakfasts. The hotel is being redecorated (just about finished) and the decor is lovely. Room 133 is lovely and quiet. Nice ESPA toiletries in the room.

Stayed: July 2016

So glad you like the refurbishments, we do too! Thanks for the feedback.

Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

Meticulously clean everywhere. Staff were extremely friendly, WiFi free and easy to access. We received complimentary cookies for the kids with their names written in chocolate on the plates! The mini robes,bunk beds and activity packs made their whole experience extra special. I enjoyed a lovely but slightly pricey treatment in the spa while the others had fun in the pool. Of note kids have a time cut off for the pool in the evenings. Overall a highly enjoyable stay.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Great that we helped you relax and glad that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon.