“Always good ”

Price range: US$13 - US$20
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

Have been several times before and again had a great meal on this visit. Lovely food and friendly service. Best to book.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,228)

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

A great dog friendly pub, visited several times this week with Mr Pixie.

We have visited for years and always has the best ale in the area.

The food is always tasty and not over priced.

When we ate I had the lamb curry was delicious my dad & grandmother had the venison and my mum had the scampi all happy and will be back again soon :)

Reviewed 20 April 2018

This is a great little pub just off the A66 on the outskirts of Keswick so dead easy to park outside. Had been here before a while ago for lunch and were back for a short break so thought we'd go in the evening. Rang to book but the restaurant was full until 8:15pm on a Thursday so we were told there were tables in the bar that they don't take reservations for but they start serving at 6pm so get there before then! We got there at 5:45 and got the last table! We tried to book for the following night in the restaurant whilst there but the same issue and were told that Friday night was worse in the bar so we got there by 5:30. Glad we did as the tables were full again soon after! So book well in advance if you want the restaurant or get there by 5:45 if not!
The food is the same wherever you are sitting, you just have to go to the bar to order it if you are sitting in the bar. The menu is comprehensive for dinner and there is also a specials board. We both had the lamb henry which fell off the bone and was delicious. Nicely cooked vegetables and they got a separate bowl for my partner who is dairy intolerant and we were told they had butter lightly basted on. The waiters and waitresses are extremely polite and efficient and smiley! Thank you! I then had the molton chocolate sponge with ice cream - huge, light sponge but very, very chocolatey!! I was completely stuffed!! The second night we had venison bourguignon which was delicious and beef pie which was also fabulous. Both served with chips and vegetables. I then had the lemon posset which was like clotted cream and was very lemony with lemon rind. Very yummy. Only downside was there were no puds that weren't dairy so my partner had to have another glass of wine instead and drool over what I was eating!

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

A old quaint English pub great food and beer. Get out the wet to a warm bar with atmosphere. Well worth a visit

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

Came in for lunch after seeing this place recommended in a newspaper. 15 minute walk from the centre of the town. Nice old building. Absolutely superb pub food: my beef pie was exceptional, and my wife's fish pie very good too. Nothing pretentious about the place: just a nice pub serving great food.