The Rowan Tree Guest House
Lodore Falls Hotel(Borrowdale)
US$273
US$241
  • Restaurant
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsblack puddingguest housetown centrepowerful hot showergreat bedtop qualitywarm welcomefull englishbeautiful breakfasta great nights sleepfive minute walkfree wifigreat place to staylooking forward to our next visithome from homefour nightscomfortable beds
Reviewed 30 October 2017

I was staying here for four nights whilst attending a photography workshop in the area. It was the Black Pudding that drew me to this place. The owners were friendly and helpful, rooms were clean and tidy and well equipped. The Dining/breakfast room I felt was a bit cramped with it's eclectic collection of musical paraphernalia amongst other things.... and first glance at a framed 32inch poster of Basil and Cybil Fawlty and small framed picture of Leonard Rossiter (Rising Damp) did seem bit weird at first and made one feel what have I let myself in for and is this going to be Fawlty Towers experience but it proved to be far removed from the sitcom .... The tea/coffee facility was replenished each day along with a packet of savoury and packet of sweat biscuits and a bottle of water. The free wifi was excellent and high speed fibre which mad it it easy to keep up to date with work etc. through emails and social media. Breakfast was star of the show, with plenty on offer including excellent black pudding and proper thick sliced (grilled) bacon and good cumberland sausage. My only gripe would be one small fired egg, would have preferred a large egg or possibly option for two and maybe some fried bread as hash browns aren't really to my taste. Yorkshire Tea has always been a firm favourite off mine, but now I think it has to be Lakeland Tea served here. The toast was made from high quality wholemeal bread and taste was superb and zillion times better than the thinly sliced processed blotting paper that many establishments try to palm off as good bread these days. In fact even though I have a larger than average appetite I couldn't complain about the amount of food available as it was very generous and I even found myself unusually not being able finish an entire breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2017

There are quite a few B&B's in Keswick. It seems half the buildings in town are B&B's. Our booking company selected the Rowan Tree Guest House for us en route on the Cumbria Way. Although we arrived early we were met by the owner who greeted us warmly and showed us to our room. He took time to tell us about the town and made us feel very welcome. The room was comfortable. In the morning we had the best breakfast on our walk. By this time we were getting tired of the full English and were happy to be offered a quite tasty alternative. Knowing we were walking on, our host provided us with a tin of Kendal Mint Cake. He said it was part of the experience of walking the Cumbria Way. We will stay here again when we return to the Lakes District.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed with friends for our annual mountain biking trip. Large, clean, comfortable rooms. Nice big telly, comfortable beds and great shower. Breakfast was amazing, especially the black pudding. Very friendly hosts too. Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2017

Another visit to the Lakes, and another stay at The Rowan Tree, what a combination! It’s so important to have a base where you feel comfortable and welcome, I think this works for me so well. Owner Paul has an amazing sense of humour and does the best breakfast ever, set me up for a big day on the hills perfectly.Co Owner Anne, made sure that everything was just right for my stay. I will be back that’s for sure.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2017

My first time back at the Rowan Tree in ages as they were busy most weekends through the summer so I had to stay at other guest houses. I dropped in with a last-minute knock on the door, touched lucky as they had 1 room available, and it was just like coming home. I got the warmest of welcomes, a powerful hot shower (something you appreciate even more after you've stayed in less salubrious establishments)! and a great nights sleep. I have a top quality mattress at home and find it difficult to sleep on anything inferior. (And lets face it, if a place is describing itself as a bed & breakfast then surely you have a right to expect a decent bed to sleep in and a good breakfast to set you on your way)? So, great bed, which just leaves breakfast ... quite simply ... the best breakfast anywhere. Enough said!

Room Tip: If solo take room 1, if a couple go for 2 or 4
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo