All reviews black pudding guest house powerful hot shower top quality great bed warm welcome a great nights sleep full english yogurt quiet area great place to stay free wifi looking forward to our next visit home from home four nights breakfast choices nothing too much trouble
Reviewed 23 October 2017

There are quite a few B&B's in Keswick. It seems half the buildings in town are B&B's. Our booking company selected the Rowan Tree Guest House for us en route on the Cumbria Way. Although we arrived early we were met by the owner who greeted us warmly and showed us to our room. He took time to tell us about the town and made us feel very welcome. The room was comfortable. In the morning we had the best breakfast on our walk. By this time we were getting tired of the full English and were happy to be offered a quite tasty alternative. Knowing we were walking on, our host provided us with a tin of Kendal Mint Cake. He said it was part of the experience of walking the Cumbria Way. We will stay here again when we return to the Lakes District.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed with friends for our annual mountain biking trip. Large, clean, comfortable rooms. Nice big telly, comfortable beds and great shower. Breakfast was amazing, especially the black pudding. Very friendly hosts too. Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2017

Another visit to the Lakes, and another stay at The Rowan Tree, what a combination! It’s so important to have a base where you feel comfortable and welcome, I think this works for me so well. Owner Paul has an amazing sense of humour and does the best breakfast ever, set me up for a big day on the hills perfectly.Co Owner Anne, made sure that everything was just right for my stay. I will be back that’s for sure.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2017

My first time back at the Rowan Tree in ages as they were busy most weekends through the summer so I had to stay at other guest houses. I dropped in with a last-minute knock on the door, touched lucky as they had 1 room available, and it was just like coming home. I got the warmest of welcomes, a powerful hot shower (something you appreciate even more after you've stayed in less salubrious establishments)! and a great nights sleep. I have a top quality mattress at home and find it difficult to sleep on anything inferior. (And lets face it, if a place is describing itself as a bed & breakfast then surely you have a right to expect a decent bed to sleep in and a good breakfast to set you on your way)? So, great bed, which just leaves breakfast ... quite simply ... the best breakfast anywhere. Enough said!

Room Tip: If solo take room 1, if a couple go for 2 or 4
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2017

We stayed with Paul and Anne for one night on our Land's End to John o'Groats bike ride. We turned up after a day in really heavy rain but Paul happily stored our bikes for us in a secure place and helped us with getting our kit and shoes dried out ahead of the next day. Our room was large and clean with an excellent en suite and there was free WiFi which was useful. The next day we had a fantastic cooked breakfast which set us on our way and Paul even checked that we'd made it to our next destination. Overall an excellent place to stay. Thank you.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends