US$216
Lodore Falls Hotel(Borrowdale)
US$306
US$295
  • Restaurant
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
US$242
US$234
Derwentwater Independent Hostel(Borrowdale)(Great Value!)
US$61
Hostelworld.com
George Hotel(Keswick)
US$153
Lyzzick Hall Hotel(Under Skiddaw)
US$214
1,726 results
All reviewschoice hotelsstation buildingjunior suiterailway hotelcroquet lawnbuffet breakfastputting greenfirst classevening mealhalf boardvisited this hotelleisure centrerestaurant staffvenisonlovely hoteltown centrethree courses
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

Really not impressed at all with this hotel. I booked a so called 'superior king' room for my girlfriend and myself as a treat for her birthday, at a cost of £366 for two nights. The room was a huge letdown to say the least. We walked into a freezing cold room which smelled of damp, the bed was a double bed, not king size. The quality of the bed was extremely poor, a cheap and very uncomfortable mattress with poor bedding and pillows. When you pay just £40 for a Premier Inn at the side of a motorway you at least get a nice comfortable bed, so to find this kind of standard here after parting with over £360 was extremely disappointing and surprising. The room itself had paint cracking from the one of the walls and from the ceiling. We explained to one of the staff that we were disappointed with the quality of the room and to her credit she instantly offered us an upgrade, but this room was of just as poor quality.
I am aware that hotel prices in the Lake District are at a premium, but for £183 per night you are entitled to expect at least some level of quality, and this place had absolutely none whatsoever. The whole place has a generally old and tired feel to it. I must add that the staff were extremely pleasant and willing to help, but we will certainly not be coming back.

4  Thank Chorlo81
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Lovely stay in Keswick. Great location with parking which was real bonus. Recently refurbished. Beautiful lounge and restaurant. Dinner menu was fabulous. Breakfast a little disappointing with limited range of items. But overall I would recommend.

1  Thank elkay04
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

We usually rent a house with others for our annual 'Catbells' 10k. This year we decided to treat ourselves to a stay at the hotel. We were really looking forward to a little luxury but we didn't get it.

On arrival, we were simply presented with our keys, no smile or words of welcome from the receptionist. The room was adequate if a little dark and contained a notice to speak with staff if there was a problem,not to post on 'Trip Advisor.'

Our main complaint however was the breakfast. We were surprised to find a buffet style for both the cold and hot food.
It was not attractive with large metal tureens filled with basic plain yoghurt, fruit etc and the hot ingredients also included unappealing pre fried eggs. There were no extras like nuts or seeds and the pastries were placed high on a shelf so they were quite easy to miss.

We will provide a better breakfast for ourselves next year when we will return to renting a communal house.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 314maggieh66
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Having read a few negative comments, I arrived at the hotel mentally prepared on one Saturday afternoon. I booked a half board package for two nights in a twin room for two people. The price was £320ish all in all, so I thought it was a good deal!

The first impression... I struggled to find a car park space..For the size of the hotel, I thought the car park was a bit too small. I had to use one of two disabled parking spots as there was none left.

The building itself.. well you can see the photos on their website.

The standard twin room we had was surprisingly spacious. It was nearly as large as the photos suggested, which was great! A newly refurbished bathroom with a bath tab was also a nice surprise (so we had a pleasure of taking a bath every night to relax the body aching from the long walks). The high ceiling also makes the room nice and airy all the more. The toiletry frills were non-existent, though. So do bring in all your stuff. The only stuff provided were the hand wash and body liquid soap in "fixed" bottles. But the hot water was plentiful with great pressure. The bath was very quickly filled and the shower really nice and strong.

But the age of the place definitely showed in the window: single glaze with a few cracks. I would imagine the room would be quite cold despite the large radiator in place. The view was disappointing. Our room was on the 1st floor and the view was mostly taken up by trees, hiding the work shed and staff carpark. The bed was comfortable enough, though they squeaked, as some other people commented.

The only thing is the noise coming from the corridor when other guests were walking past by. The door had a large gap between its bottom and the floor: my husband could put his fingers in there! So any conversation is pretty audible, and the corridor did squeak, too! Past 11:00 p.m., the frequency and the level of the noise did grow to an annoying level but we survived with the ear plugs.
Having said that, the hotel is on the outskirt of the town, so there is no worry about the drunkards shouting outside the pubs which I would probably had if I stayed in one of those B&Bs in the town centre.

What surprised me in a pleasant way was the meals. What was included in the deal was a 3 course evening menu and of course full breakfast. We had a different menu every night and the selection was pretty decent. On the first evening, I had a huge lamb shank dish which was really tasty. The most of the dishes in the menu said "Home made...." so I think the chefs do keep themselves busy with proper cooking.
The restaurant is actually a nice place to enjoy the meals, with nice views overlooking the ground full of cute bunnies.
If I think about the going rate for a B&B stay in a decent place in Keswick, the money I paid for half board for 2 people was a very good deal, I thought.

The staff there were very nice and helpful. They score a very high point on this.

Is it a place to stay for younger people? Not sure. Predominantly, the guests seemed to be those with the silver spending power. We are in our early 50s, and at some stage, I thought we were one of the younger guests!

All in all, I thought it was a good deal, and we enjoyed our stay.

My husband says he would go back.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Goldenfeather
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

Having just returned from another three day stay at this excellent hotel have to say that,in my opinion, it goes from strength to strength. It is easy to see that Management and Staff have respect for each other and this is reflected in atmosphere, cuisine and service. If you stay go Half Board because the dinner menus give plenty of choice of imaginative and tasty dishes. Entertainment in the dining room consists of watching guests obsessing over getting a window table!! Fear not if not successful, the restaurant is light and airy! In fine weather the well kept hotel grounds are ideal for a non taxing stroll or just to take the air? Or try the speciality drinks in the tastefully recently refurbished bar!

2  Thank carli0l