“Disappointing dinner”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This pub was our fourth choice - the previous three had no free tables at 6 p.m.!! We should have realised there must have been a reason. We ordered the steak and ale pie, vegetable lasagne and fish and chips. The pie was lovely suet pastry but had only a couple of pieces of meat. Our daughter enjoyed the lasagne especially as it came with a couple of pieces of garlic bread on the side. The fish and chips looked particularly disgusting with very anaemic, undercooked "beer" batter and oven chips. Thank goodness it tasted better than it looked. We nearly walked out but our daughter persuaded us to give it a chance....

The girl behind the bar was extremely friendly and was managing the bar single-handedly, taking orders, delivering food to tables and looking after another room at the side of the pub. We would not choose to eat here again - something needs to be done as there is a lot of competition for customers in Keswick now.

2  Thank Linda S

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We ended up here as the pub we were aiming for was crammed. The menu looked ok and their were tables free (that maybe should have been a clue)
We went in, picked out food and ordered at the bar.
First choices were sold out (being Easter Monday I can understand that)
So I ordered the Gravy, Onion and Steak pie (Steak and Ale pie) and my partner order the Cumberland sausage and mash.
We then ordered 2 diet cokes - sold out (as was the Carling) So onto J2O’s instead.

When the food arrived the Sausage and mash looked quite good, as did the steak and ale pie. However the steak and ale pie was rather lacking on the steak, was tasty just needed more filling! Maybe it’s time for them to change their suppliers.

Date of visit: April 2018
2  Thank Andrew-andyg
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Have been visiting the lakes for 18 years and lake road inn has always been a favourite and usually our first night haunt. Something has changed with the menu for the worse and we cannot see us visiting again this year. Big stodgy pizza and a beef pie which was of chip shop quality. Sorry!

Date of visit: April 2018
4  Thank Lorraine P
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Like the previous reviewer I went for the 'Steak & Ale Pie', the pie itself looked great when it arrived at the table and that's when it all started to go down hill. When I cut into the pie I found two pieces of meat, seven little onions and the rest was thick gravy. The first piece of meat that I tried was so chewy I had to spit it out and the second piece was just a lump of gristle, even the so called roasted vegetables that accompanied the pie weren't cooked through, there was no way that I was going to eat this meal so I asked for someone from the kitchen to come and examine the pie, when the chef/cook came out he said that they buy the pies in and offered me another one, but I declined and opted for a pizza instead, then when it arrived I found out that it was a "Stuffed Crust - Chicago Town Pizza' identical to the ones that you can buy from your local supermarket for £2. I personally believe that the majority of food served in this establishment comes straight out of the freezer as I only found one meal on the menu that stated that it was 'Home Made'. We will definitely not cross their door again in the future and I would would strongly recommend other diners not to eat there.

5  Thank JOHNTY49
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

I never give reviews but make an exception for this place. Steak and ale pie... inedible. Worst meal I have ever had. Pie contained 3 tiny pieces of meat, one of which was just gristle, flecks of mushroom and awash with gravy, oven chips and sparse veg. I shall not be returning

6  Thank Sian2602