“Greatest hotel in The Lake District.”

Stonecross Manor Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed 28 January 2012

The Stonecross Manor Hotel in Kendal is very good concerning all points.
I arrived a was checked in by Mandy on 23rd Jan, you will not find a more professional lady ! she was superb. She knows how to make visitors feel welcome and want to return. She answered the phone, took the persons number, and said I will phone back when I have finished dealing with my guest ! Fantastic service, best receptionist I have met.
I stayed in Room 209 on the 2nd floor, a small, but perfectly adequate lift takes you and your bags with speed to your floor.
My room was really good, with very high quality furniture. A medium sized TV that worked perfectly, lovely and warm, with very good en suite facilities.
The bar and restaurant was tended by two superb members of staff, first of all Liam, a young lad who is very friendly and great company, always looking for a reason to smile and laugh, but completely professional with it. And his colleague Kirsty, without doubt, the nicest Scott's lady I have ever met. She is genuinely friendly, attentive, professional, kind and in a way, she is Stonecross’s jewel in there crown ! between her and Liam, they make an evening in the bar/restaurant a memorable time. I cannot wait to return.
I drank the beer brewed by Thwaites, and it was great.
Food is just superb, the mixed grill is good meal and you wont find better, and Breakfast is a large buffet, with everything you could want, all 1st class ingredients.
The Wi-Fi worked very well, I measured the speed in my room at 7.11 Mbps download, and 0.66 Mbps upload, this is really good.
The hotel also has a really nice swimming pool, with changing rooms. I swam for about 20 minutes, the water was warm, absolutely 1st class.
When I return, I shall not be visiting the lakes, but staying put in the hotel, I recommend it 100%.

Richard Kaminski.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank trigga1526

Reviewed 23 January 2012

The hotel is very charming and a good location for an overnight stop over. All the staff were helpfull and friendly. We did have a meal in the hotel which was very nice but breakfast was the usual buffet style which is never the best. We booked a four poster room which was fine even if a little small, but sadly even though the bed was comfortable every time either of us moved it squeaked which caused a bad nights sleep, also noise from adjoining bathrooms was very noticeable. I did mention the bed at checkout and was told that that's just because it was a four poster bed ! I have slept in quite a few four poster beds and they have been squeak free....

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jillian197
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Excited by the special offers, I booked a Four Poster Room for the weekend 20 Jan 2012. On arrival we found that we had been upgraded to a King Size Room. The room was tastefully decorated, very clean but the bathroom could have done with some new grout and a cosmetic overhaul. The room was spacious despite the addition of a single bed ?? Our dissatisfaction came at 6pm when we discovered we were over the kitchens and the extractor fan kicked in. Reception assured us the fan would be off by 9pm and would start no earlier than 8am. We were offered an alternative room but this was a standard double on the front and had a lot of traffic noise. Unable to settle in the room we went for a walk and was pleased with the close proximity to kendal. On our return we were satisfied that the extractor had gone off. However at 3,30 and 4.30 we were awoken by strange noises from the kitchen area below that sounded like something being dragged across a tiled floor. We decided not to stay the second night as we could not face another sleepless night. The breakfast was also very disappointing, buffet hot plates that barely kept the food warm and food appeared aneamic and neglected. Had we been given the 4 poster room we had originally booked maybe the result of our stay may have been different. In this instance an upgrade was not well received and feel this hotel would struggle to be awarded 3 stars now if reassessed. Only positive was that the hotel is within walking distance of Kendal and the fish and chips at Fish Xpress were wonderful, well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Avoid room 107 or any by the kitchens
Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2012

En route we needed a cheap hotel that allows dogs and has enough parking space for a van and that is exactly what we found. Room was basic but ok, the bathroom was a bit mouldy, the shower curtain was too short so that explained why the side panel of the bath was mouldy too.
I had a laugh at the tap, typical British, hell bound to keep hot and cold water separated at all costs, this tap was a mixer tap but..... With a separate opening for hot and cold water so you can scald and freeze your hands at the same time brilliant!
Dinner in the restaurant was very lonely as nobody told us that you can also have bar meals so the bar was full and we ate in an empty dining room, the meal was very basic but the staff in the restaurant was very friendly. I finished my meal with a cappuccino, big mistake, this is by far the worst cappuccino I have ever had, it was literally undrinkable,
Breakfast was good with a great choice.
Overall this is a basic hotel for a reasonable price (£75 for a double with breakfast)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Stonecross manor is a nice and peaceful hotel to spend a night at Kendal. We stayed there for a night while returning from our 3 day vacation in Lake District. Its a complete value for money with very clean and spacious room and a very decent and welcoming hotel staff. We were also offered free WiFi, and the place has free parking in its own backyard. Breakfast was also complementary and was pretty good.
The place also very close to the city center and also very accessible from the motorway.
Overall a very nice place to spend a night or two with family or friends.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
2.4 km away
12.4 km away
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
38 km away
North Lakes Hotel & Spa

Been to Stonecross Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!