“Our Wedding Day”

Macdonald Swan Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Our wedding day was very special, the staff were fantastic and could not do enough for us. Sabin and Liz made the day perfect, they were very organised which put us at ease.
The room for the civil ceremony and then the reception looked amazing, the food was beautiful (the have an excellent chef) the reception desk were extremely helpful and the bar staff very efficient. Our family and friends said the day was memorable. Helen and I would highly recommend celebrating your wedding with The Swan. Thanks again to everyone!

Room Tip: All rooms have fantastic fell side views
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 September 2017

We paid over £480 for 3 nights' "treat" and we were disappointed. The shower head in our executive room (3, at the front, with a view and complementary bath robes and slippers) was absolutely filthy (black and slimy), even though the room smelled of disinfectant. When we complained we were moved but to a much smaller (and very hot) room at the back of the hotel, room 22, which had a clean shower but cobwebs on the walls and peeling wallpaper behind the radiator. The mattress was soft and sagged in the middle. There was no view, no bathrobes and no slippers and yet the hotel insisted this was also an executive room...!!! When we complained we were given a £40 discount. The restaurant menu is the same as the bar menu, and not in my opinion a fitting menu for a restaurant in a hotel such as this. The food was very average and overpriced. The staff were courteous and helpful, but this hotel looks uncared for and scruffy. We won't be going back.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gail S
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I was amazed at this hotel --- it has no elevator, but you can get around the floors, bar, lobby area and rooms on either the first or second floor with no problem. Loved this place for a one-night stay. Staff was friendly and accommodating.

Stayed: August 2017
1  Thank Jeanne C
Reviewed 6 September 2017

I know it was a Saturday, and this is Grasmere, but £140 for a single room to me seems excessive. Paying this kind of money ought to guarantee a good night's sleep. It certainly would at a Premier Inn, and for a lot less! However, I was woken several times by banging fire doors, and nearby room doors that seemed to need to be slammed to close properly. Maybe a manager should try sleeping in a few rooms to discover these problems and act upon them.
We did not stay for dinner here. The bar area looked dark and uninviting. The food I saw being served looked dull and uninspiring, and again, overpriced.
Breakfast was very good, particularly the pain aux chocolate. It was disappointing to find that some dishes - smoked haddock, for example, were only available for a £5 supplement. Surely at their prices they are having a laugh.
So overall, I was left with the feeling that this hotel was overpriced, hence the three stars.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

I usually try to measure my expectation of service and hospitality based upon location, numbers / covers and staff levels. My wife and I called in to the Swan after a lovely day in Grasmere. The Hotel is well presented and looks inviting, the signs outside entice non guests to call in and eat. Almost no customers should have been my warning.

We entered the bar and picked up menus and ventured to the garden. We both agreed to opt for the fish Friday offer so I went to the bar to order whereupon the barman told me we are not doing that offer any more, he than told me he had told a colleague yesterday to cover over the offer on all menus the day before (he obviously has ownership issues). I then asked what the difference was between fish Friday and fish and chips. He replied " the price ' i.e. Double the price. Now I'm no skinflint so the price didn't bother me but the tone of his response was just rude and lacking respect. I then ventured back to the garden to offer my wife another stab at ordering something that was available. We chose the steak and ale pie.

I entered the bar again, the barman was chatting to an off duty colleague eventually I got acknowledged so without a prompt I clearly requested two steak an ale pies, one with chips and one with mash. "Where are you sitting?" I replied, "in the garden as before' ! he said " two steak and ale pies, with mash or chips"? I then repeat myself and he then proceeds to tell me the total of my bill. I ask "can I order drinks"? He even got the drink order wrong asking if I want a pint of coke which I told hi no a half, he poured a pint anyway. Eventually I get what I want and leave. Absolutely no open warmth from this experience, merely a difficult awkward exchange of words and money.

Retiring to the garden, I meet the wife and recount my experience. We then wait for almost an hour for food to arrive. Meanwhile, Other customers enter then garden receive food and leave. Our meals arrive with a swift delivery and a statement (not an apology) "thank you for being so patient" we both had plates placed in front of us and the waiter left saying "enjoy your meals". No question regarding condiments and at this point I thought it best to eat and go, my inward anger was clearly not conducive to constructive criticism.... No food check back either.

The pie had no pastry base, the top was cremated and a piece of fatty gristle the size of my thumb inside.
I work in Hotels and I have to provide exemplary service levels, it's easier to get it right than wrong if you have competent trained staff.

This experience would make a great training video on how not to interact with guests.

By the way, three air fresheners on a shelf in the gents to mask the smell of urea demonstrates a lack of attention to detail, cleaning around urinals with the right chemicals will sort this.

Overall, a shocking display of attitude and service levels.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mark B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
1.4 km away
12.1 km away
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
13 km away
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Macdonald Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!