“So Comfy and Cozy”

Macdonald Swan Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 August 2017

I booked in at this hotel when I had to change rooms from a small B&B that was not as advertised. I was tired, upset and discouraged when I arrived. The staff here was so warm and welcoming that I immediately felt I had made the right decision. Everyone who works at the hotel that I encountered was kind, professional and helpful. My room was large and cozy and impeccable clean. The bed was wonderful and bath and shower were excellent. The hotel also has beautifully landscaped ground for a little stroll and a nice restaurant and pub. I loved my stay here.

Room Tip: The Feature rooms are so pretty and some rooms have four poster beds.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Aroth98609
Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed 19 August 2017

It's a great place just 5 minutes outside Grasmere. It is right by the road with parking beside and behind the hotel. The room we stayed in was good, but in need of a refresh but the view was stunning and looking out and up at Helms Crag (Lion and the Lamb).
The food (both had fish pie) was excellent and the Wainwright's beer great too.
All in all we'd stay there again happily and hope the Macdonald chain refresh this lovely place soon.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are quieter (away from road) but your view may be hindered.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MacMacdonald1207
Reviewed 17 August 2017

We stayed here for two nights on our way home from holiday. At first we were a bit nonplussed to discover that we hadn't been put in the rooms we were expecting in the refurbished part of the hotel, having telephoned the hotel manager prior to our stay. However Andrew, the Ops manager standung in for the general manager who was off sick, went above and beyond the call of duty to endure we all had appropriate rooms adequate (we were travelling with family that included young children) for our stay. The dinner and breakfasts were very good and the staff are all delightful and helpful. I would, however say that in my view this is really a hotel for the more able-bodied hikers and couples because although there are family rooms there aren't that many and there isn't a lift (although there is a side entrance into the hotel from the upper car park which did make things easier for us) or rooms on the ground floor that we could see. Some of the rooms are quite a trek away from the main reception area. That said, we did enjoy our stay and will most probably return at a quieter time.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel tend to be cooler.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed at The Swan for 2 nights in the executive family room 8. We also stayed here 3 years ago in the same room. The staff were very friendly, especially with my 2 young children. Our room was ready early which was great so we could unpack then go out for the afternoon. The room was clean but could do with decorating in my opinion. Beds were comfy and cot was clean. The room was noisy as it is on the main road which was an issue when we were trying to settle our children down at night. We also were woken at 5 both mornings by the people above which I believe was staff getting ready for work. The breakfast was delicious both mornings. On our second night the lamp tripped all sockets out in the room. I was advised they would try to fix it which should just be a flick of a switch but it wasn't done. We had no tv, kettle and no hair dryer so I mentioned it again when checking out and was advised it was a logistical issue at the board is in another guest room. This was far from ideal for us as we couldn't dry our hair or let the kids watch tv while we were getting ready to leave. I don't think it is acceptable when the issue was raised that could have been fixed easily. The gardens were very nicely kept which was nice to sit and have a quiet drink while the children played. We used Tesco vouchers for this break but if I had paid full price I would have felt a bit let down.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2017

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at The Macdonald Swan Hotel in Grasmere and feel compelled to write a review.
The hotel is set in one of the most beautiful locations of The Lake District within easy walking distance of the village. It's 'oldy worldly' with all the modern convieniences. Cleanliness is superb; rooms spacious and luxurious; food of excellent quality and reasonably priced. Drinks were on the expensive side but no more expensive than anywhere else in the surrounding area.
A special mention has to go to the hotel employees: we found everyone totally attentive, pleasant and above all else courteous... Especially the ladies on reception.
I would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
1.4 km away
12.1 km away
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
13 km away
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Macdonald Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!