1,293 results
All reviewsfeature roomexecutive roomlake districtblack puddingwalkers barnight porterlovely hotelevening mealthe general managerfour poster bedcooked breakfastone night staybreakfast was excellenthelm craggreat weekendenjoyable stayshort break
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed at The Swan for 2 nights in the executive family room 8. We also stayed here 3 years ago in the same room. The staff were very friendly, especially with my 2 young children. Our room was ready early which was great so we could unpack then go out for the afternoon. The room was clean but could do with decorating in my opinion. Beds were comfy and cot was clean. The room was noisy as it is on the main road which was an issue when we were trying to settle our children down at night. We also were woken at 5 both mornings by the people above which I believe was staff getting ready for work. The breakfast was delicious both mornings. On our second night the lamp tripped all sockets out in the room. I was advised they would try to fix it which should just be a flick of a switch but it wasn't done. We had no tv, kettle and no hair dryer so I mentioned it again when checking out and was advised it was a logistical issue at the board is in another guest room. This was far from ideal for us as we couldn't dry our hair or let the kids watch tv while we were getting ready to leave. I don't think it is acceptable when the issue was raised that could have been fixed easily. The gardens were very nicely kept which was nice to sit and have a quiet drink while the children played. We used Tesco vouchers for this break but if I had paid full price I would have felt a bit let down.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2017

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at The Macdonald Swan Hotel in Grasmere and feel compelled to write a review.
The hotel is set in one of the most beautiful locations of The Lake District within easy walking distance of the village. It's 'oldy worldly' with all the modern convieniences. Cleanliness is superb; rooms spacious and luxurious; food of excellent quality and reasonably priced. Drinks were on the expensive side but no more expensive than anywhere else in the surrounding area.
A special mention has to go to the hotel employees: we found everyone totally attentive, pleasant and above all else courteous... Especially the ladies on reception.
I would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2017

We'd driven past this hotel but we're very pleased that we stopped. It may be a chain, but gave the feeling of a family run hotel. Food was good, eat in the bar its the same mere but more relaxed. Good real ales and good wine list as well.

Room Tip: Towards the back
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank MikeK42736
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

I have stayed in the Swan on three previous occasions, hence it was a natural choice for this visit. Something has gone seriously wrong.
1. Whilst the staff were very friendly, the lack of enough competence in the English language to ensure that what was requested was what was delivered caused a number of frustrations during the week (one guest who asked for a cappuccino received a cafetiere, then a cup of tea, then something else before the right drink arrived and I had to point out the different spirits to the barman); but other things weren't right. This came to a head when friends who were joining us for one night, having booked by telephone, found on arrival that their booking was in a year's time and no rooms were now available.
2. During one night (after midnight) the lavatory flush suddenly started to flush continuously, waking us up. There were no other rooms and no maintenance staff and it was suggested that I drive an hour to Ullswater. I removed the lavatory facing, found the fault and closed the valve. The following morning the maintenance man was called and discovered he had the wrong type of valve for the hotel's lavatories. We were moved to a new room at 4pm (which had to be cleaned as we moved in).
3. The hotel claims to have an arrangement with the Old England hotel (the same hotel group) in Windermere for its spa treatments. It is odd that, as the Old England is a 30 minute drive away, it charges £5 to park the car.
4. Portion control at breakfast has gone mad. Each couple is given a slice of butter that is insufficient to cover half a slice of toast. Guests were laughing at the situation and continuously asking for more... Another sliver would arrive, whereupon the guest would immediately ask for more... And so on and so on.
It's a shame; this was a good hotel but it's lost its way and the competition in Grasmere has recently greatly improved. The guests were openly joking about the place and it was interesting that when I checked out I wasn't asked how I had enjoyed my stay.
I'll be going elsewhere next time.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WainwrightAlfred
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

We booked a stay here as it looked value for money and we'd been for a drink earlier in the year (whilst staying somewhere else) and thought it was lovely and cosy.
Staff were very friendly and helpful, although not the quickest at cleaning the tables in the bar area in the evening. They were very kind in accommodating the dog at breakfast- dog owners could dine in the bar whilst Dog free owners sat in the restaurant.
We felt wine was expensive (city prices) and food ok- not great, but big portions. We were told the kitchen took orders until 8.45pm- we tried to order at 8.50 and were not obliged- a little disappointing for a paying guest as we had to drive to Ambleside for dinner.
In general the decor is a little bit dated, especially in the bedrooms. Rooms has complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits which was nice, but I'd have to say the bathroom had seen better days and could have done with a good clean- we found some hairs around the sink when we first got there.
Altogether, an ok stay but felt it was a little expensive for what it actually was.

Stayed: August 2017