All reviewsdale lodgehot tubmews roomspremier roomrange of real alesaccessible roomhotel restaurantbeer gardenon arrivallake districtdogs are allowedbeer festivallovely hotellovely groundssmall roommolton brown toiletriesbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

Very nice to stay great staff nice food and beautiful walking around. We enjoyed to stay and definitely we coming back. It was great time to stay.i recommend this hotel to everyone who is going first time to lake district

1  Thank Jiri N
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Just had few days stay at this lovely hotel. The staff are very welcoming and the hotel is lovely. Stayed for food in the restaurant instead of going to Tweedies both are brilliant. Booked again. The hotel are in the process of updating the hotel rooms the ones finished are looking modern and clean

Reviewed 8 May 2018

I booked 2 mews rooms for 2 nights. It was a special break for myself and grown up daughter with our 2 dogs in 1 room and mum mum with her 2 dogs in the other room. I booked several months ago, direct with dale lodge over the phone. I should have given up then!

I gave my card details as I was asked for full payment at the time of booking. Next day I received a phone call from dale lodge again asking for payment as apparently the payment hadn’t gone through. So details given again.

On arrival at reception it was unprofessional as a very young child was with the receptionist being very distracting. I was asked for payment again as someone had left a note on my invoice saying not paid. I explained I had paid and it was on my statement
We were directed to our room. If you have booked mews with hot tub, don’t get too excited. I wouldn’t have fancied going in! There is a lot of work going on in and around the hotel, which wasn’t mentioned at the time of booking. I should have had 2 mews parking spaces as we had 2 of the 4 rooms but I struggled to get in and out of 1 space due to the number of workmens vans. Nice toiletries in the room, very small bottles though and these were not refreshed for the next day.

Dinner, we had been asked if we wanted to eat in the hotel or tweeties, we chose tweedies and a reservation was made by reception. On arrival no table was booked. We were told a booking had been made, then cancelled. Not by us. A table was found and menus given. I explained we were dinner bed and breakfast so how would it work. We were told just order off the main menu. 5 minutes later the waitress came back explaining, there was a different menu showing the supplements. So we ordered from that. After the main we were asked if we would like desserts and coffee, we ordered a dessert each and 1 coffee. Food was good.

Breakfast. On arrival for breakfast, no table had been arranged for us so we waited while one was prepared. Food was good.

Dogs. This was the 3rd hotel we had stayed in with our dogs during this week. The other 2 were very dog friendly. Water and food bowls were left for the dogs and dog beds. Dog towels were available and a sign to put on the door if the dogs were in the room alone ie while we were dining etc. I asked reception if they had something to hang on the door advising housekeeping if the dogs were in the room, the answer was no, the hotel doesn’t like dogs being left in the room. I wasn’t advised of that at the time of booking. Dogs are allowed in tweedies bar but not in the hotel restaurant where breakfast was served so there is a problem there!

Check out!
I was told I owed over £600, I advised that I didn’t and I had already discussed this on check in. Receptionist eventually checked again and agreed that I had paid and just owed for the 4 dogs (£100) and extras £25.50 which were 3 x desserts and 1 coffee. Apparently dale lodge dinner bed and breakfast only includes 2 courses. This was not explained in the restaurant when we were given the menu either, I couldn’t be bothered arguing anymore at that point So I paid £125.50.

I have today checked my credit card. On the 4th May dale lodge hotel charged £125.50 and £182.50 to my card. The £125.50 was authorised by myself but not the £182.50. I rang dale lodge, the distracting child still screaming in the background. The receptionist could find no explanation why £182.50 has been taken from my card without my authorisation but she would credit my account with this amount. I asked that she send me confirmation. Confirmation not received so now waiting for this to show on my statement.

Dale lodge has a perfect location it just seems that management are just not interested. So many little things could be done to improve guest experiences. The last straw for me was taking an unauthorised payment from my credit card.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank mol1
Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed two nights in the hotel. First, during our stay Angelica, our greeting host, was fantastic! She provided wonderful answers to many questions and was a wonderful hotel representative.

The food in the restaurant was outstanding ... all of our party were very happy. I had the short rib and it was over the top good!

The adjoined pub serves the same menu, plus burgers, and is the perfect spot for every on a gorgeous lakes day.

1  Thank smemitch
Reviewed 6 May 2018

Arrived at 7.00pm, reception deserted with a notice to call 102 and someone would come. They didn't. We had to go hunting round the hotel to find someone - a Mexican/Spanish lady who was one of the plus points. The 'newly refurbished, premier room number 8' took two of us to push the door open as it was catching on the carpet. It was fine but smelt of new paint so we had to open the window. It then shut itself. It was a sash window but obviously the cords were broken. The only way it could be left open was to wedge it with a cute stuffed lamb doorstop. Room was not very big and limited cupboard space. Bed was a bit soft and on a slope so hard to get comfortable. The bathroom was nice and shiny and new but the light was so bright (and not dimmable) that you need sunglasses in there. Tiny Mouton Brown bottles - why be so mean with them when we were staying for four days?

Had dinner in Tweedies Bar which is attached - very busy bar but don't worry if there is a queue as they have plenty of barmen. Decent enough pub food - great scouse waiter (Neil?) Big beer garden outside so I guess it gets busy in the summer.

Introduced myself to the owner the next day who was a bit offhand but warmed up later. Family run hotels like this do better if they make you feel at home rather than just a guest who might be an inconvenience.

The orange juice at breakfast was off but my wife said the cooked breakfast was very good - comes from the same kitchen as Tweedies which I think is run by one of the sons of the family. Not possible to get a cappuccino until 11.00am when Tweedies opens - I didn't get that either - I would have been happy with a DIY Nespresso.

I just got the feeling that the owners were getting tired of the hotel - they said that they are going to rebrand the whole thing Tweedies soon which I guess is to build on the success of the bar which must be a big cash generator. It's plain to see that there is big investment going on in other hotels in Grasmere and the other towns in the Lakes and I think this one is getting left behind.

This stay overall was not a terrible experience by any means but by fixing the little things could have been much better.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple