“Tea stop”

Grasmere Tea Gardens
Ranked #2 of 2 Dessert in Grasmere
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Grasmere Tea Gardens provides a lovely respite after a long walk up the fells, or a quick enjoyable stop over for diverse coach parties. We offer an array of homemade soups, sandwiches, paninis, chilli, and jacket potatoes, as well as home baked cakes and scones. As well as a variety of teas and coffees, we serve a selection of cold beer and wine, and yummy soft serve ice-cream. Our staff provide quick and friendly service for those on a tight schedule, or beautiful views, rain or shine, from our outdoor terrace, overlooking the Grasmere Church and famous grave site of poet William Wordsworth.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Very rude owner when asked about a seating locaion outside told me if I wanted to buy his house I could sit in the location.
Same guy when asked if I could place an order told us to wait for another member of staff and turned his back on us.
The coffee and walnut cake was dry.
Totally spoilt what was supposed to be a pleasant experience of a cup of tea on a nice day outside.
I would give this place a miss it doesent deserve the trade

2  Thank Nina S
Grasmere_Tea_Gardens, Owner at Grasmere Tea Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hello,
I'm afraid you mistook my husband's humour about the outdoor seating for being rude, which I can most certainly inform you was NOT intentionally so. That outdoor area belongs to his parents, not us. When you approached the counter to order, he was in the middle of taking apart our hot water boiler, which is why he asked you to kindly wait for another member of staff to serve you momentarily, and turned his back as you say. We are dependent on that for hot water for the tea we serve, and as this is a very busy time of year, he was doing his best to fix it quickly. As for the cake, I do not understand how it could be dry as it was delivered fresh from our local baker this morning and cut up just before you arrived. I'm sorry to hear all this supposedly ruined experience with us.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We've been here several times in the past and popped in for a late brunch. The Cumberland sausage sandwich was rather disappointing and certainly did not reflect the Cumberland sausage we've come to love and know elsewhere. Having said that, the drinks were fine and it was very clean and tidy even though it was very busy. We'll certainly give it another go, but, today, it was sadly not as we were used to.

1  Thank PriceTheOrgan

Hi,
I'm very sorry to hear this visit was disappointing! We continue to use the same supplier for our Cumberland sausage, so it has not been changed. I will check with the butcher to see if he's possibly changed the recipe without informing us? I do hope you give us another chance, we really strive to make our customers happy.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Dry day - sit outside and overlook the river by the church. Watch the ducks go by. Wet day - gear up and still sit outside especially when inside is busy! Beautiful setting. Been here so many times. Inside is nice too you don’t do rain. Gets busy at time.
Lovely bowl of soup and great bowl of chilli and tortillas, too spicy for me but partner loved it. Staff are very welcoming and friendly. Lots of great cakes. Home made food and good specials board. Pots of tea come with pot hot water which is always nice to have second or third cup.

Hi Scotsmania,
Thank you so much for your glowing review! We really appreciate the kind comments and feedback. I'm so glad you had an pleasant experience (and were able to enjoy a dry day sitting outside - they are rare!). I do hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch. Was surprised by the limitations on the menu..good if you just want sandwiches, paninis and jacket potatoes. Cakes looked nice though. Sandwiches were around £5.75 and drinks equally a little on the high side.
Service was ok though had to ask for a glass and extra milk for pot of tea (provided with small pot).
Overall, quite good and idyllic spot l but felt a little more effort and creativity on the food options would only improve this little place.

Hello,
Thank you for the feedback. In regard to our food selection, we have purposefully chosen a simpler menu to cope with the crowds and coach groups we get in on a daily basis most of the year. On any given day we can have a queue out the door sometimes for 3-4 hours straight, and with such high turnover it would be counterproductive to have a complicated menu. You'll find other cafés in the village (which do not take coach groups) might have a more extensive range. What we have works well and we don't pretend to be something we're not! Our prices are generally on par with what is typical in the Lake District, and we continue to remain one of the least expensive places to eat in Grasmere.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

This place provides an excellent rangevif good and snacks in a lovely setting. The staff are very friendly and the soup in particular was delicious. Well recommended.

Hi Kent,
Thank you for the nice compliment about our soup! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I do hope you visit again soon!